I'm out - the cancellations thread

Well, as much as everyone loves me on here I may actually pull out like a high schooler after prom. 1st world problems really but I need a new roof on the ‘ol homestead so I have to come out my savings a bit. There might be enough left to grab a low mileage Vantage S coup or a CPO DB9. Perhaps a down payment on a previously loved Emira in the coming years. Or maybe I’ll just wait and wait and wait. As long as I have you fine folks for company

Well, as much as everyone loves me on here I may actually pull out like a high schooler after prom. 1st world problems really but I need a new roof on the ‘ol homestead so I have to come out my savings a bit. There might be enough left to grab a low mileage Vantage S coup or a CPO DB9. Perhaps a down payment on a previously loved Emira in the coming years. Or maybe I’ll just wait and wait and wait. As long as I have you fine folks for company
Well, like a new roof, we've got you covered.

Please excuse my question, I do not mean to be snarky...

After waiting so long, why would anyone cancel their "spot in line"? My understanding is that when my spot comes up for a production slot, I have the option to take it OR pass and still stay at the top of the list. (Lotus of Atlanta). Thus I can delay my spot in line a while until I'm ready or I feel Lotus has improved the quality to the point I'm ready to have one built.

Yes, there may be a pile of "changing financial reasons" that make folks cancel and move on to a lower cost vehicle, yet those aside, is there a downside to holding a reservation, and just delaying if needed until the buyer is ready?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Please excuse my question, I do not mean to be snarky...

After waiting so long, why would anyone cancel their "spot in line"? My understanding is that when my spot comes up for a production slot, I have the option to take it OR pass and still stay at the top of the list. (Lotus of Atlanta). Thus I can delay my spot in line a while until I'm ready or I feel Lotus has improved the quality to the point I'm ready to have one built.

Yes, there may be a pile of "changing financial reasons" that make folks cancel and move on to a lower cost vehicle, yet those aside, is there a downside to holding a reservation, and just delaying if needed until the buyer is ready?

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Smart and interesting strategy you're describing... I think it depends on each dealer, and nothing's probably guaranteed. When I discussed canceling mine, the dealer did not give me possible options. (I did end up canceling.)

In the UK you can’t wait till you get to the front of the line and then go into a holding pattern, you have to take the slot or drop out.

I assume some dealers in the US may operate a similar approach, as they have to submit a preliminary order to Lotus when you place your deposit. I’m not sure Lotus give the dealers much flexibility. Some dealers may be able to reallocate your slot or take the car for stock, so might then allow you to drop into a later batch.

In all regions, the point at which you are locked in to a spec can be 6 months or more before delivery. So that’s when almost all flexibility vanishes. In the UK you can still cancel when you get to checkout, about a month before delivery. But that’s a cancel and drop out, not go on hold. I imagine a similar situation exists in the US after you’ve committed your spec.

This means everyone is having to make a judgement about their circumstances and the economy (and Lotus quality improvements) six months in advance.

Well I managed to close the deal and the car was delivered to me yesterday! R8 V10 with a gated manual. So much car, an absolute blast to drive. Way more than I am capable of exploiting right now in any conditions, and more than will ever be fully exploitable on streets by basically anyone. Right now I don't know that I would have the heart to trade this for an Emira if given the option, but I have had it for less than 24 hours so we will see! Way better experience than the one I test drove with the dual clutch.

Also, I used to think hill-assist was lame, and now I am glad I have it for the first time. Got stuck in traffic on a steep incline and it was a huge help. I am very happy, and wont miss out on another season of driving! Lots of positive reactions and lots of people ignoring me, so a good mix. Most importantly, much more fun than constantly obsessing over an Emira. My mental health has probably improved significantly haha!

Attachments

• DSC01067.JPG
    DSC01067.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 95
Well I managed to close the deal and the car was delivered to me yesterday! R8 V10 with a gated manual. So much car, an absolute blast to drive. Way more than I am capable of exploiting right now in any conditions, and more than will ever be fully exploitable on streets by basically anyone. Right now I don't know that I would have the heart to trade this for an Emira if given the option, but I have had it for less than 24 hours so we will see! Way better experience than the one I test drove with the dual clutch.

Also, I used to think hill-assist was lame, and now I am glad I have it for the first time. Got stuck in traffic on a steep incline and it was a huge help. I am very happy, and wont miss out on another season of driving! Lots of positive reactions and lots of people ignoring me, so a good mix. Most importantly, much more fun than constantly obsessing over an Emira. My mental health has probably improved significantly haha!

Congrats!! That's a really special car that'll likely increase in value over the years. Got any interior shots?

Another one bites the dust…

I’ve notified my dealer of cancellation of both my Emira order and an Eletre that was going to be shared with the wife.

My original ETA as given by my dealer was November ‘22. I don’t have to tell members on this forum about all the delays. But the combination of delays, lack of communication from Lotus corporate, and the fact that even the most recent ETA seems to be a rough guess hinging on fed approval for US sales.

It also seems that the number of issues are disproportionate to the number of delivered cars.

I was never thrilled with the performance, but considered a Toyota-reliable powertrain a better option than the potential maintenance fun of a used V12 Aston or V10 Audi. Manual is mandatory for me, and the years that were available with the manual added a trade-off between dated electronics and likely high maintenance costs vs just adequate performance in the Emira. ECU issues appear to be not-so-tiny/isolated and also take a big chunk out of that Toyota-reliable drivetrain argument.

I’ve been saying I’d pull the trigger on a GT3 if I found the right one for a while, but that I just couldn’t stomach both paying a markup and not getting what I wanted and the short version is that I found one that I’m happy with and I bought a touring that I’m getting delivered in a couple weeks.

Now the fun comes with the limbo of where my deposits were. The Eletre should be straightforward refundable. Hopefully they don’t actually fight me on that. The Emira I have the original deposit 2 years ago and never gave a second deposit or signed anything additional. Realistically I don’t think I’m getting that back because I’m told an order was really placed and I was reportedly in the first 10 at my dealership. It appears this process has just taken so long that there’s been turnover at the dealership and I’ve been bounced between different sales people and the manager and they didn’t even notice not collecting a second deposit or ever formally informing me that the first deposit was becoming non-refundable despite them placing the actual order with corporate.

Sad to see the forum and the initial excitement go… but the prospect has just gotten worse and worse over time with all news seeming to be bad news for 2 years straight. From the initial power/RPM downgrade to delay after delay, to “we’ll reply to your email soon”. I still don’t think I’ve even seen what kind of bumper extensions are going to make the back look worse for US 2.5mph crash requirements when the car was supposed to be delivered Q4 ‘22.

After placing my order for an FE V6 back in Nov ‘21 I have waited patiently but am finally out and cancelled. In my 25 years driving, the Emira was going to be my first brand new car I had ever ordered and I was incredibly excited for it but that excitement has steadily dwindled with each new balls up by Lotus. Extended delays, price hikes , appalling customer service, production issues.

I used to always admire Lotus as a brand but seeing first hand how amateur they are will never view them in the same light again.

Theres more to life than holding out for an unreliable poorly made car by a company that doesn’t know what day of the week it is. R8 V10 here I come !

Sayonara !

I can't blame any of you for leaving. I cannot defend the overall shambles that many have been unfortunate to come across.

I had my updates check-in at the Lotus service centre. Passenger eatbelt recall done and a 2 hour software update. All good but I do need to go back for a further service when a 3 hour update is done (?) and the wiper motor is changed (though never noticed an issue with mine).

Ha, must be me but the car feels faster.. :D
I did ask the bump the car up to 450HP whilst I was in but they said it was not possible.

As I keep saying, the car gets significantly, and measurably, better with passing miles.
Now I am nearing 3000 miles the car sounds amazing and drives amazingly.

I have to concede that the new EV sports car will have be a giant killer for me to consider another Lotus. Tis a shame indeed.

Been having too much fun to post the past couple days....

2020 Evora GT in my dream spec! Some of you knew my dream Emira color was Verde Ithaca (looking at you @eriegz) and I obviously couldn't let this rare opportunity pass me by. The 8 hour drive home, though mostly highways, was one of the most exciting and engaging experiences I've ever had with a vehicle. I couldn't be happier and glad to still be part of the Lotus family! ;)

View attachment 28584

What a great car. I always keep Evora's loaded into my autotrader favorites and I saw a red one late last year that I really wanted. This car exemplifies what Gavan K. said that once you drive it, you will realize what you have been missing. And this color works perfect for this car. Let's be honest, some colors work better on different cars and this one is perfect. The best way I can describe the Evora is that it felt solid like one big piece. Others on here are much better at describing in detail why a car feels a certain way but I didn't have the words. Not sure how I got through so many years without Lotus being on my radar but so glad I am here now. Enjoy that car and certainly make a journal thread and keep us updated on what you are doing and learning with the Evora.

I can't blame any of you for leaving. I cannot defend the overall shambles that many have been unfortunate to come across.

I had my updates check-in at the Lotus service centre. Passenger eatbelt recall done and a 2 hour software update. All good but I do need to go back for a further service when a 3 hour update is done (?) and the wiper motor is changed (though never noticed an issue with mine).

Ha, must be me but the car feels faster.. :D
I did ask the bump the car up to 450HP whilst I was in but they said it was not possible.

As I keep saying, the car gets significantly, and measurably, better with passing miles.
Now I am nearing 3000 miles the car sounds amazing and drives amazingly.

I have to concede that the new EV sports car will have be a giant killer for me to consider another Lotus. Tis a shame indeed.
4000 miles in and still loving it. I completely respect anyone dropping out but it really is a special thing once you get your hands on one.

I've only bought one new car, and that was a '96 Elise .
So when I drove the new Emira I placed an order.
Two years on I'm now cancelling. Looking back at the two test drives, I instantly fell for the S1 but I didn't feel that way with the Emira. Lotus has said my delivery slot is Q2 next year, my thinking is this time next year there will be a few secondhand Emiras and I mayas well save some money. I've already seen First Editions sub £79k with low miles, how much will they be this time next year.

The Emira with its classic - and timeless - styling is worth any wait. People are so impatient nowadays. Just focus on something else in the mean time in life, and you will have a Wonderfull time and just the joy when the car arrives after a long wait!!! And it's worth it! For the money, nothing beats it.

It's your own mind that defines how to look at things!

IMG_4975.jpeg

I've already seen First Editions sub £79k with low miles, how much will they be this time next year.
Who knows... I'd guess in the 60s, but where in that band is anyone's guess.

There are 40+ on the Trader now and the lowest priced one has been there since April. Surprising, to be honest.

Who knows... I'd guess in the 60s, but where in that band is anyone's guess.

There are 40+ on the Trader now and the lowest priced one has been there since April. Surprising, to be honest.
With the next price increases imminent, I think some of the used cars on autotrader are an absolute bargain.

Think this will only hold prices where they are if anything.

I’ve got a may 23 car and it has been faultless and by far the best car I have ever owned.

I am a long term keeper, so not too fussed about short term pricing but just some positivity to share as I still can’t believe the car is mine, it’s simply Epic and puts a huge smile on my face everytime i drive it.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back