I'm out - the cancellations thread

Lovely comment. Go mingle with the Kia owners, sorry...Porsche. Same number of customers out there. You'll need luck as well to be spotted.
Yea, real nice man. What did he say to hurt your feelings? He has legitimate concerns, we all should. The issues are real, doesn’t mean the future variants won’t be sorted; probably will. Having a new car warranty is well and good, but I want it for piece of mind; not because I know I’m going to need it on the regular. Would I hesitate to take a new Emira on a cross country road trip? - Hell yes I would! It’s foolish to assert otherwise. I’m still buying the car, but I’m going to get a year 3 version. If my order slot comes up sooner than that, I’ll hold the door for someone behind me.

I'm right there with you. 10 years older, but yeah, I agree with everything you said. This is not the experience I expected or hoped for. This forum is the best part of the Emira for me so far. Keep us posted if/when you get something new.

I almost pulled the trigger on this a couple weeks ago. It was a blast to drive but missing a couple things to be my perfect spec. Maintenence costs still scare me too.

I left the drive thinking how the Emira would be more engaging, though maybe less exciting, and have more useable power around town and cheaper services. But then again, this 570 actually exists right now and excites me. My excitement about the Emira has basically faded away at this point unfortunately. 😔

View attachment 27706
What did you decide on the 570? TomE got the 12C. I browse the 570GT from time to time. Wouldn’t worry about maintenance too much. Every dealer I spoke with offered an annual package (~$4,000) that included bumper 2 bumper and the 12M/10k annual inspection & Service. When you break that out the service and inspection is about $1500 so 2500 per year for full coverage including towing and loaner (supercar equivalent) isn’t that bad.

I rented a 2019 570 S Spider for a 24-hour duration. It was surreal and would be a dream come true if I were to buy one. The Acura NSX (2016+) has been very reliable and are available for $30K less than a McLaren 570GT or S. No, the NSX is not as fast, but it does have that supercar look.

Now the bargain bin choice that is also reliable is the Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium. for $60k.

Last edited:
What did you decide on the 570? TomE got the 12C. I browse the 570GT from time to time. Wouldn’t worry about maintenance too much. Every dealer I spoke with offered an annual package (~$4,000) that included bumper 2 bumper and the 12M/10k annual inspection & Service. When you break that out the service and inspection is about $1500 so 2500 per year for full coverage including towing and loaner (supercar equivalent) isn’t that bad.

Came close on multiple 570s but finally decided not to pull the trigger. Maintenance and service costs are just insanely expensive even if I did most the work myself. Front brakes? $12k just in parts. Battery? $3-6k. 🙄

I also feel like I got it out of my system after numerous extended test drives. It's exciting and really cool, but it's true when you hear people say the power isn't useable on the street. I found myself wanting a manual transmission and more engaging drive in my sportscar instead of an adrenaline filled exotic supercar rush that I was terrified of breaking all the time.

Add me to the list...

US customer, placed my deposit at Lotus of Denver back on 21 July 21. I was confirmed as their 21st deposit and they got something like 15-17 FE 1.0 allocations.

I was willing to stick it out, even with the price hike. I got to test drive the emira and my review is my only other post.

I agree with the majority of reviews (generally positive), but those demo cars have obviously received a higher level of quality control vs customer cars.

Dealer tried to convince me to keep my deposit, said I was definitely on tap for an FE 2.0 allocation (allocation coming in August).

I want something I can drive for a road trip and not be worried about breakdowns. Closest dealer is +400 miles away. Owner issues on here are more than enough data points to convince me to pass.

I'm going back to Porsche (target CPO 718 Spyder).

Good luck to you all, reckon most will need it (especially the narcissists that have tricked yourselves into thinking it won't happen to you)!

I’d be doing the same as you if my lotus dealer was 400 mi away — smart move.

Edit: Also, don’t mind the hardliners attacking people on their way out — they’ve got issues to work on. Hope you find a sweet spec 718 Spyder for a good price and maybe when Emira things get ironed out we’ll see you in one down the line.

Last edited:
Add me to the list...

US customer, placed my deposit at Lotus of Denver back on 21 July 21. I was confirmed as their 21st deposit and they got something like 15-17 FE 1.0 allocations.

I was willing to stick it out, even with the price hike. I got to test drive the emira and my review is my only other post.

I agree with the majority of reviews (generally positive), but those demo cars have obviously received a higher level of quality control vs customer cars.

Dealer tried to convince me to keep my deposit, said I was definitely on tap for an FE 2.0 allocation (allocation coming in August).

I want something I can drive for a road trip and not be worried about breakdowns. Closest dealer is +400 miles away. Owner issues on here are more than enough data points to convince me to pass.

I'm going back to Porsche (target CPO 718 Spyder).

Good luck to you all, reckon most will need it (especially the narcissists that have tricked yourselves into thinking it won't happen to you)!
718 Spyder is a great car... good choice. I'm still looking forward to the Emira.....eventually

I rented a 2019 570 S Spider for a 24-hour duration. It was surreal and would be a dream come true if I were to buy one. The Acura NSX (2016+) has been very reliable and are available for $30K less than a McLaren 570GT or S. No, the NSX is not as fast, but it does have that supercar look.

Now the bargain bin choice that is also reliable is the Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium. for $60k.
Bargain bin is the BMW i8. Also $60k range and pulls 0-60 in high 3’s; the later models were low 4’s. Looks cool. Wouldn’t track it tho. Fairly reliable except for the ac compressor - $2k. The ICE engine is from a Mini Cooper and a full swap is peanuts.

I’d be doing the same as you if my lotus dealer was 400 mi away — smart move.

What would you put as the mileage cutoff? If the car is just a 4th car, what's the furthest out you'd want to be?

I decided early on I wouldn't make a decision till I drove the car. I did recently and I’m out.

Got into a 410 right after and it’s simply the better car "for the drivers". I was quickly reminded why I wanted an Emira in the first place and how it’s very much not a ‘better’ Evora - in the ways that matter to me at least.

Good luck to all those still on this journey and hope you enjoy your cars. I'll still lurk around to get early news on the Emira S / GT / R or whatever it's called as that's really the car I was sold.

Bargain bin is the BMW i8. Also $60k range and pulls 0-60 in high 3’s; the later models were low 4’s. Looks cool. Wouldn’t track it tho. Fairly reliable except for the ac compressor - $2k. The ICE engine is from a Mini Cooper and a full swap is peanuts.
I rented one of those (a 2015). Not only was the HUD fading to oblivion (same with my 2001 Corvette), but the fuel door button would not work, and a check engine light was illuminated. The steering feel was horrible. Thankfully, it got lots of attention and had good fuel mileage, but I would worry about ongoing repair and maintenance costs. A Supra would be easier to work on, I think.

Add me to the list...

The nice thing about this thread is it gives users a forum to discuss some legit concerns, with a dealer that far away I wouldn't want to risk it either.

My closest dealer is 90 miles away and that even gives me second thoughts. Will be curious to see if Lotus will have authorized service centers for people that are that far away, not betting on it though...

What would you put as the mileage cutoff? If the car is just a 4th car, what's the furthest out you'd want to be?
Only or 4th car, I’d want a brand new car drivable and not needing to be transported 6 hours away for a Lotus dealer to merely slap in a new ECU or O2 sensor only for it to happen again 3 days later because they’re just blindly replacing stuff 2-3 times.

Hoping I don’t need to give you a mileage number for you to see the point.

I'm out.
Watched this thread for some time. Not happy about quality issues. Annoyed about price increases, that I wouldn't have paid if they had delivered when promised. Two years waiting is just stupid. It isn't that good, just a nice to have. Economy has dived, interest rates gone up. My money is now better in the bank , rather than on a car that is stuck at the dealership. Also 35 used cars available on the internet, with the prices falling by the day. I'll buy a slightly used one next spring for a lot less money.

I'm out.
Watched this thread for some time. Not happy about quality issues. Annoyed about price increases, that I wouldn't have paid if they had delivered when promised. Two years waiting is just stupid. It isn't that good, just a nice to have. Economy has dived, interest rates gone up. My money is now better in the bank , rather than on a car that is stuck at the dealership. Also 35 used cars available on the internet, with the prices falling by the day. I'll buy a slightly used one next spring for a lot less money.
I'm very nearly there too. 2 year anniversary next week I think. Just about holding on awaiting I4 release reviews and test-drive (which I am really hoping will be worth the wait). Quality and software issues are my biggest concern, especially with new engine and drivetrain etc.

I may be joining this thread soon, depressingly. I really, really, really wanted this to be at least a neutral experience and I have waited for a little under 2 years already. Between spending years 25 and 26 of my life not being able to drive a nice car, constant concerns about breakdowns and tows to the dealership, long wait times at the dealer for parts, underwhelming Dyno and 0-60 results (even for a guy who doesn't particularly care about those things, it has been a bit of a let down), an 11k price hike, and extreme lack of communication from corporate. A huge factor for me in particular is the repeated breakdowns... the US is a large country and it is not unheard of for me to drive 2 consecutive 12 hour days when travelling.

This was my first introduction into the realm of high performance vehicles, and it has been a pretty shocking let down how the customers have been treated. I have loved Lotus as a brand and always cheered for the underdog since I was a kid, but the reality is if any other car brand behaved this way I would have been out long ago. I am genuinely saddened, and I hate to say I understand why they are the underdog, and they may deserve it.

I am keeping my deposit in and will probably start looking for pre-owned R8 V10 manuals (gen 1), but if I manage to find one that is a reasonable price and moderately low miles, I will lock it in and pull my Emira deposit.

Truly, the only positive part of this experience has been the 20 minute test drive and learning from people on the forum. So I am around still, but likely not for too much longer.

Following up on this: I don't want to jinx it, but I am currently in the process of signing for a pre-owned R8 V10 Gated Manual. Has new tires, just had magride replaced, just had AC compressor replaced, and had spark plugs changed less than 10k miles ago. Good service docs with all oil changes, and in the model range with the factory frame brace above the front shock towers. Only moderate concern is the clutch life remaining, since you never know how the people before you drove it.

I am very excited and I hope it works out. I will still keep my Emira deposit in for a bit longer, because I can probably trade the car for more than the Emira MSRP if I go that route.

Analog gauges, naturally aspirated V10 revving to 8750 rpms, 6 speed manual, mid engine, and none of that "it isn't a real supercar/ HPSC, it is just a camry" business. I will long for the steering feel of the Emira, but the reliability scares me and R8s are surprisingly solid based on my research. I need a car that won't be spending that long in the dealer for work, and I don't have that confidence with Lotus, as much as it pains me. If anyone else has had one of these, feel free to give me some feedback/ pointers, from what I understand they are pretty hard to come across!

….and none of that "it isn't a real supercar/ HPSC, it is just a camry" business…:
Apart from the interior being similar to every other Audi ;)

Burt seriously, they’re great cars and I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Apart from the interior being similar to every other Audi ;)

Burt seriously, they’re great cars and I hope you have a lot of fun with it.
That, and the dreaded "why not a huracan?" remarks! Thank you very much for the support and all your knowledge throughout the whole process! I hope it all works out. I have a second test drive still scheduled for the Emira... even if I don't end up getting it in the long run, at least I will get to drive it again ;)

Following up on this: I don't want to jinx it, but I am currently in the process of signing for a pre-owned R8 V10 Gated Manual. Has new tires, just had magride replaced, just had AC compressor replaced, and had spark plugs changed less than 10k miles ago. Good service docs with all oil changes, and in the model range with the factory frame brace above the front shock towers. Only moderate concern is the clutch life remaining, since you never know how the people before you drove it.

I am very excited and I hope it works out. I will still keep my Emira deposit in for a bit longer, because I can probably trade the car for more than the Emira MSRP if I go that route.

Analog gauges, naturally aspirated V10 revving to 8750 rpms, 6 speed manual, mid engine, and none of that "it isn't a real supercar/ HPSC, it is just a camry" business. I will long for the steering feel of the Emira, but the reliability scares me and R8s are surprisingly solid based on my research. I need a car that won't be spending that long in the dealer for work, and I don't have that confidence with Lotus, as much as it pains me. If anyone else has had one of these, feel free to give me some feedback/ pointers, from what I understand they are pretty hard to come across!
Be prepared clutch is $ 10,000. I know from experience.

Be prepared clutch is $ 10,000. I know from experience.
Yeah, I was quoted about $8k by a really reputable Audi service department about 30 minutes from me, and just slightly less by a local shop. Hopefully it wont need done for a good while, but wanted to get out ahead and know the prices ahead just in case. Fingers crossed it lasts! Thanks!

you will regret. the emira is so much more special compared to any porsche or r8

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back