Interior passenger airbag sign

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
While driving tonight I noticed the illuminated lettering for showing the passenger air bag was on. Does anyone know if it is possible to turn it off please?

Switch is in the glovebox.

IMG_2134.jpeg

Thanks for the replies everyone. No I didn’t want to turn off the airbag, just the annoying light. I might see if my ppf guy can cut a small bit of black ppf to cover.

The Emira needs this

Switch is in the glovebox.

View attachment 36573
It's very weird, but I just noticed that my Emira does not have this Airbag switch in the glovebox. It can't possibly be an optioned item and I have a First Edition anyway. There is a cutout in my glovebox where the switch ought to be, but it's covered as if they forgot to install it when it was being built. I'm including a picture of what it looks like. Anyone else has this same issue?

It's very weird, but I just noticed that my Emira does not have this Airbag switch in the glovebox. It can't possibly be an optioned item and I have a First Edition anyway. There is a cutout in my glovebox where the switch ought to be, but it's covered as if they forgot to install it when it was being built. I'm including a picture of what it looks like. Anyone else has this same issue?

Yeah turns out US cars don't have that switch. I also noticed the covered cutout when I was writing instruction for the wireless charger. Behind that cutout there is an unused green connector meant for that switch. Maybe it could be retrofitted?

1720658942476.jpeg

Yeah turns out US cars don't have that switch. I also noticed the covered cutout when I was writing instruction for the wireless charger. Behind that cutout there is an unused green connector meant for that switch. Maybe it could be retrofitted?

View attachment 47529
Thanks for letting me know that my missing switch is not an exception. Can't help but wonder how Lotus got away with not installing it on US cars since I think it's illegal, or at least not recommended, to keep the passenger airbag on when one places a child seat of booster seat. I'm surely going to bring this up with my Lotus dealer to get them to order an OEM switch which, as you suggest, should be just a matter of plugging it to that green connector.

Maybe the US spec passenger seat has a weight sensor rather than a switch.

Different rules for different localities......

Maybe the US spec passenger seat has a weight sensor rather than a switch.
Yes, it does have a weight sensor. All one has to do is apply pressure (even with your hands) to the passenger bottom seat cushion and the overhead seatbelt warning light goes off, meaning it is activated. I would venture to guess however that all country versions of the car comes with that feature, but perhaps some non-NA owners can confirm so. Regardless, relying on a weight sensor alone is something I would not want to depend on to risk a toddler's safety, particularly given the added weight of a child car seat and other accessories.