• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Japan - Emira Ownership (エミーラ納車とその後)

I've considered having this years ago, but actually no.
It's one of those borderline items, isn't it. I am willing to invest in one if this is the chosen method of communication. Will need to ensure hands free operation, though.
ですよねー。絶対に必要なわけではないし自分一人で使えるものでもないし…

これはどんな端末?Walkie-talkieみたいなやつ?
Yes, it's a walkie-talkie that can be used for distances up to about 300m. Not everyone is a ham radio operator, so these relatively inexpensive radios are commonly used, I think. You can see many options on Amazon.

Did the Check Engine Light (CEL) go away? What was wrong? Hope everything is sorted out now.
I went to pick it up yesterday. Nothing was wrong. They had my car at the workshop for over a week running tests and didn't find any issues. The explanation they gave me was that probably some sensor detected something weird and put the engine in "safe mode" to prevent damage.

They cleared the alert end updated the software, and that was it.

However, after the software update I noticed a couple of new problems while driving on my way home:

1) When I put the car in neutral while driving (maybe stopping at a traffic light or coasting slowly down a slope in the expressway) the car thinks I'm in 1st gear:

YouTube video of the issue

2) The middle center console screen went completely blank a few times: all the indicators between the blue lines disappeared and were replaced by a white/grey "cloud". This went back to normal when stopping the engine and restarting (which I was able to do because I was in a traffic jam on my way back). I don't have any photos or videos of it, but the part that disappeared is everything enclosed in the red circle in this photo:

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 11.49.47.png

3) When idling, sometimes the engine kept cycling between 1100-1400 RPM for no reason, without me touching the throttle. This may or may not be an issue, but it didn't happen before.

Needless to say, these issues make me a big nervous.

By the way, Lotus Yokohama has this used Nimbus Grey V6 for sale with only 2000km, in case anyone is interested.

This color looks MUCH better in person. I think I like it more than my Seneca Blue. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8490 2.jpeg
    IMG_8490 2.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8491.jpeg
    IMG_8491.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 23
I went to pick it up yesterday. Nothing was wrong. They had my car at the workshop for over a week running tests and didn't find any issues. The explanation they gave me was that probably some sensor detected something weird and put the engine in "safe mode" to prevent damage.

They cleared the alert end updated the software, and that was it.

However, after the software update I noticed a couple of new problems while driving on my way home:

1) When I put the car in neutral while driving (maybe stopping at a traffic light or coasting slowly down a slope in the expressway) the car thinks I'm in 1st gear:

YouTube video of the issue

2) The middle center console screen went completely blank a few times: all the indicators between the blue lines disappeared and were replaced by a white/grey "cloud". This went back to normal when stopping the engine and restarting (which I was able to do because I was in a traffic jam on my way back). I don't have any photos or videos of it, but the part that disappeared is everything enclosed in the red circle in this photo:

View attachment 48371

3) When idling, sometimes the engine kept cycling between 1100-1400 RPM for no reason, without me touching the throttle. This may or may not be an issue, but it didn't happen before.

Needless to say, these issues make me a big nervous.
Do you have a battery tender? I usually leave my car hooked up unless I know I will be taking it out within 24 hours.

1) If this hasn't been the case before, the updated software has a new algorithm to guess the gear it is in when the clutch pedal is not depressed. 10-15km/h at idle RPM would seem like 1st gear.
2) Yikes! This has never happened to me...
3) Could be air conditioning, could be a weak battery (voltage fluctuations), could be a weak ground in the harness, could be anything. Did Lotus Yokohama charge the battery before handing it over to you? I always ask my dealer to return the car with the battery charged.

Do you have a battery tender? I usually leave my car hooked up unless I know I will be taking it out within 24 hours.
I do have one, but I use my car (almost) daily, so battery charge shouldn't be an issue... but now that I think of it, this happened after the car had been at the dealer for almost two weeks, and who knows for how long they had the engine running or whether they charged the battery.

2) Yikes! This has never happened to me...
I figured out where the "white cloud" comes from. Before the software update, the GPS/navigation function in the console only displayed a spinning circle. Now for a few seconds it displays the same white cloud in the center of the screen. What I saw the other day on my way back from the dealer was this same white thing in the center, but without the speed and gear indicators.

IMG_8528.jpeg

3) Could be air conditioning,
I think this is the most likely possibility. If you look at the temperature indicator in the bottom right corner of the dashboard you'll see that it was extremely hot (46 degrees). This was at a traffic jam inside the Yamanote Tunnel. It's likely that the AC was working very, very hard and affecting the RPMs.

Does the tire pressure display works for you guys? Dealer told me it’s not working because of the frequency used is not allowed in japan, pretty pain in the axx when I’m on track and it’s nothing showing

Scraped the bottom of my Emira for the first time. This was getting out of a parking in Tokyo. The exit had a taller step than the one at the entrance, and the nose hit the pavement.

So glad that these pucks are there doing the job they're there to do: protect the car. 😅

Attachments

• IMG_8609.jpeg
    IMG_8609.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8610.jpeg
    IMG_8610.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 31
The slanted front windshield and rear hatch cause some very strong reflections, making dashcam images hard to watch at some times. I bought a set of large and small Circular Polarizer / Linear (CPL) filters for the front and rear cameras. Hope they work as intended.

ディーラー・オプションの3カメラドライブレコーダー YUPITERU Z-310 (量販店モデル Y-3100 も同様) の画像を見ると写り込みがひどいので偏光フィルターを付けてみました。アマゾンで大小セットの「貼るミエ OP-046ACA」1,980円を発見、それぞれを前後のカメラに使えそうだったので買ってみたらサイズもピッタリ。さてさて、効果はどうかな...
PXL_20240811_044730454.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
PXL_20240811_044651236.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Sponge liner on the under side of the hood (that prevents heat from hitting the windshield?) came loose. Either Japan summers are too hot and the adhesive couldn’t take it, or possibly just another Lotus thing. ;)

The slanted front windshield and rear hatch cause some very strong reflections, making dashcam images hard to watch at some times. I bought a set of large and small Circular Polarizer / Linear (CPL) filters for the front and rear cameras. Hope they work

Hope the filters work out for you! Coincidentally, I just ordered the well recommended Viofo A139 pro (front only) today with CPL included. Shipment from China, hopefully won’t take too long…

Sponge liner on the under side of the hood (that prevents heat from hitting the windshield?) came loose. Either Japan summers are too hot and the adhesive couldn’t take it, or possibly just another Lotus thing. ;)
Where is this? Under the "boomerang vents"?

The slanted front windshield and rear hatch cause some very strong reflections, making dashcam images hard to watch at some times. I bought a set of large and small Circular Polarizer / Linear (CPL) filters for the front and rear cameras. Hope they work as intended.

ディーラー・オプションの3カメラドライブレコーダー YUPITERU Z-310 (量販店モデル Y-3100 も同様) の画像を見ると写り込みがひどいので偏光フィルターを付けてみました。アマゾンで大小セットの「貼るミエ OP-046ACA」1,980円を発見、それぞれを前後のカメラに使えそうだったので買ってみたらサイズもピッタリ。さてさて、効果はどうかな...
They work well. The KEF center speaker grille is almost unnoticeable in the front view, and most of the reflections in the rear hatch are gone. Not 100%, but enough.
この値段ならいいと思います。でも、国内では名の通ったメーカーなのだから、偏光フィルターぐらい初めから付いていてもいい気がするのは私だけ?

They work well. The KEF center speaker grille is almost unnoticeable in the front view, and most of the reflections in the rear hatch are gone. Not 100%, but enough.
Thansk for letting us know. I'm going to order the same filters. When the sun is hitting the windshield or rear glass the camera recordings are pretty useless.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 14.19.02.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 14.19.02.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 14.20.48.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 14.20.48.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Back