• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

latest colour info...

Bizarrely, that looks nothing like the sample I saw at Parks - I know photos can never be trusted but the silver was not that dark nor warm in tone like that either.

Like you, colours are my business - i have been in the sign industry for 40 years, mixing colour matches by eye from Ral, BS and PMS references for signwriting and painting. I also paint in acrylics on large canvases with painstaking colour matching a key part of my work

We can't both be right so something weird is going on! 🤣
In flesh it just looked a silver to me, nothing like the configurator. My photo in sunlight with pics of white and grey card for anyone who wants to white balance.

0B2B0F76-43C2-4025-9205-E3646BA533D0.jpeg

The all black are my choice at the moment but only because I’d like to see the Nimbus along with the diamond cut in person to see if the “silvers clash”. Isn’t this

Bizarrely, that looks nothing like the sample I saw at Parks - I know photos can never be trusted but the silver was not that dark nor warm in tone like that either.

Like you, colours are my business - i have been in the sign industry for 40 years, mixing colour matches by eye from Ral, BS and PMS references for signwriting and painting. I also paint in acrylics on large canvases with painstaking colour matching a key part of my work

We can't both be right so something weird is going on! 🤣
That's quite worrying tbh, wonder if there's been a change

In flesh it just looked a silver to me, nothing like the configurator. My photo in sunlight with pics of white and grey card for anyone who wants to white balance.

View attachment 908

With this gray it feels like a hopeless exercise - the tone is so nuanced. First you have variations in lighting, showroom or outdoors. Even sunlight changes temperature depending on time of day and thats before you take into account secondary light reflecting off coloured surfaces. Then you have screen calibration - I used to run a calibrated screen but who does that unless you're in the graphics / print business? The neutral gray cards help though (thanks!). In the end its going to be hard to go for the Nimbus without seeing it on the car in the metal.

I saw the sample at B&C at night under showroom lighting and there was no warmth to it - just looked straight neutral silver - yet your photos clearly show its warmer than neutral. We need Pantone numbers :)

With this gray it feels like a hopeless exercise - the tone is so nuanced. First you have variations in lighting, showroom or outdoors. Even sunlight changes temperature depending on time of day and thats before you take into account secondary light reflecting off coloured surfaces. Then you have screen calibration - I used to run a calibrated screen but who does that unless you're in the graphics / print business? The neutral gray cards help though (thanks!). In the end its going to be hard to go for the Nimbus without seeing it on the car in the metal.

I saw the sample at B&C at night under showroom lighting and there was no warmth to it - just looked straight neutral silver - yet your photos clearly show its warmer than neutral. We need Pantone numbers :)
It's similarity to blade silver and this video have been the best help for me, I've then looked at 570s on autotrader in various lighting situations.
Edit : tried hosting it and inserting it but it just doesn't seem to want to play the video

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-223655_Auto Trader.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-223655_Auto Trader.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Yep, neutrals are a b*gger for taking on other tones. Reflected colour or light from an external source can change them and, as they are neutral, they reflect what is around them - this can be a blessing and a curse!

Location is worth taking into account. In Scotland with our proximity to the arctic circle (it often feels like we are in it!) our light has a cool tone, which affects the colour of everything you observe in daylight. The nearer the equator you get the more colours "warm up"

I discovered this was the reason that the fabulous aquas, teals and coral shades evident in Florida and similar locations lose their "pop" when i try to use them in Scotland.

Colour is simply not as "fixed" as you'd imagine, perception light and context all changing it. The only thing I can say with certainty regarding colour is that my hair looks grey in all lights!

Yep, neutrals are a b*gger for taking on other tones. Reflected colour or light from an external source can change them and, as they are neutral, they reflect what is around them - this can be a blessing and a curse!

Location is worth taking into account. In Scotland with our proximity to the arctic circle (it often feels like we are in it!) our light has a cool tone, which affects the colour of everything you observe in daylight. The nearer the equator you get the more colours "warm up"

I discovered this was the reason that the fabulous aquas, teals and coral shades evident in Florida and similar locations lose their "pop" when i try to use them in Scotland.

Colour is simply not as "fixed" as you'd imagine, perception light and context all changing it. The only thing I can say with certainty regarding colour is that my hair looks grey in all lights!

Shame about the hair looking grey, I have the same problem but when visiting Florida it looks less grey due to the number of white haired men

It's similarity to blade silver and this video have been the best help for me, I've then looked at 570s on autotrader in various lighting situations.
Edit : tried hosting it and inserting it but it just doesn't seem to want to play the video

well that grey looks quite tasty

That is one fine looking set of wheels!

Someone posted new paint color samples on lotus talk. The samples are on small car shapes instead of disks. Not sure how to copy otherwise I would post.

Someone posted new paint color samples on lotus talk. The samples are on small car shapes instead of disks. Not sure how to copy otherwise I would post.

Attachments

• B5093D18-E67F-4BF4-B593-B6CE3CD234EC.png
    B5093D18-E67F-4BF4-B593-B6CE3CD234EC.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 253
  • B64D2F95-F9BF-4932-A8EE-62ED60B2B8F5.png
    B64D2F95-F9BF-4932-A8EE-62ED60B2B8F5.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 249
Again, he red is still the most enigmatic. Sometimes it looks deep blood red and other times bright red and monochrome. I think I’m just going to go out and look at actual cars or we need to get our hands on the paint codes and spray them ourselves. What are the chances that the paint codes could be leaked?

All a matter of taste, but does anyone like shadow grey? It's just like every other grey tin box parked in your local supermarket car park and was a strange choice for the JB launch car. The red looks great those photos, brighter and less burgundy than the disc sample. The green is really growing on me too - wIth gold wheels it would look amazing. Still blue for me, but I reckon the Emira will look stunning in any of these colours, even shadow grey :)

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back