• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

latest colour info...

Looking at the Emira spec sheet posted on this forum it actually shows DIN weight for the V6 FE as 1458kg and then further down on the last page shows the 'Emira' DIN weight as 1405kg. I suspect the latter is for a base i4 model then?
That's correct on the two weights for the two different versions. The 1405kg is base i4 so the +53kg for the V6 FE is the weight difference of the V6 engine/transmission/manual gearbox and the weight of the FE options.

Lol I think you misunderstood my comment as we both are in the same boat per say. I just want to make sure the negativity doesn’t take away from peoples positive vibes and energy in getting the car. Whilst enjoying the process that comes with it. Absolutely not a doubt in my mind Lotus are like a fish out of water at the moment, as they got what they wanted but have been totally overwhelmed by the uptake/response to this car.

I have much faster cars than the Lotus but it will hold a special place as did my Evora.
Many apologies if I misunderstood your initial point. I fully agree that a lot of negativity isn’t helpful, and things can easily go round and round especially when most of what we learn about the car is actually from here.

Thankfully, it didn’t stop me coughing up the cash yesterday, the car speaks for itself and hopefully that should be good enough in the end.

That's correct on the two weights for the two different versions. The 1405kg is base i4 so the +53kg for the V6 FE is the weight difference of the V6 engine/transmission/manual gearbox and the weight of the FE options.
Geeze.. I'd love to see a breakdown of that 53kg (117lbs) of additional weight. The engines actually weigh pretty close IIRC.. And I'd imagine the auto trans is heavier. So I'm guessing the 12 way seats are super heavy and maybe the forged wheels aren't that much lighter after all.. 🤔

Thanks for the link, that's a good article - also interesting to see power-to-weight flipped round the other way. I think the last paragraph is the most important though as it puts it all in context, which actually reinforces Chapman's principles rather than contradicting them:
"Of course, this is also if we only take into consideration the acceleration effects of weight and power. In road racing or in a daily driver, weight loss is more useful than in drag racing. Of course, regardless of our goals, the least amount of weight necessary is best."

Weight reduction means you shed speed more quickly when braking (less mass to decelerate), increase cornering speed due to reduced load on the tyres and accelerate more quickly, this is the basis of Chapman's case for weight reduction being the most effective route to faster lap times and better all round performance. A lighter car will also wear out its components (tyres, brakes and even suspension) less quickly than a heavier one, if they are both driven at the same speed.

If using less fuel is important to you that is another benefit, although if that is a high priority you are probably not in the market for an Emira or anything similar!
Absolutely. The conclusions from that article I think are only relevant if we’re talking about straight line speed. The second real world use enters the picture, it’s a different story.

Geeze.. I'd love to see a breakdown of that 53kg (117lbs) of additional weight. The engines actually weigh pretty close IIRC.. And I'd imagine the auto trans is heavier. So I'm guessing the 12 way seats are super heavy and maybe the forged wheels aren't that much lighter after all.. 🤔
As would I. Also wondering if that extra 53 is for the manual or the auto FE? Or weirdly, both?

Great piece here on epic 911 weight reduction:
The resulting power to weight easily exceeded that of a 996 turbo, braking and cornering would have be superior too. Not a fan of the look but that's a different story.

If I keep my 996 series 911 Carrera 4S, I'll continue my current weight reduction programme until it's about 120kg lighter, then possibly go for the Hartech 3.9 conversion taking it up to 360bhp as it will be needing a rebuild soon anyway (over 150,000 miles) Funnily enough that will put it at about 1400kg and 360bhp - sound familiar?

I am suprisedn
As would I. Also wondering if that extra 53 is for the manual or the auto FE? Or weirdly, both?
Manual cant weigh same as auto surely 🤔

The 1458kg is the V6 manual. The auto weighs more, I think about 20-30kg.

The 1458kg is the V6 manual. The auto weighs more, I think about 20-30kg.
Still 58kg more than I'd like and 16bhp less if it is indeed 400 on nose. But it is what it is 😊 Never thought my M2 Comp manual was particularly fast and will be similar power to weight.
I have no doubt it will cover UK B roads better tho so all good

It’s only 1.5 - 2% heavier for the auto box. I know in reality I probably won’t be able to tell the difference.
Can’t see this being a deal breaker unless you’re going to compete in an Emira UK championship !

I have to disagree with the OP on Nimbus, it is definitely not a standard silver as I perceive one (porsche Arcticsilver fo
r example). Far more of a warmer titanium like tint and darker. Not a million miles from the configurator tbh.
Have you seen the Nimbus thread where its compared to maclaren blade silver?

I'm in the print trade and colours have been my business for over 39 years
20211014_132255.jpg

I have to disagree with the OP on Nimbus, it is definitely not a standard silver as I perceive one (porsche Arcticsilver fo
r example). Far more of a warmer titanium like tint and darker. Not a million miles from the configurator tbh.

View attachment 900
That’s my final exterior and interior choice with black wheels

That’s my final exterior and interior choice with black wheels
I concur on the Nimbus choice and can't make up my mind on the wheels: black looks intimidating, straight silver looks glitzy and diamond cut seems fadish. Interesting how each presents a quite different pose

I concur on the Nimbus choice and can't make up my mind on the wheels: black looks intimidating, straight silver looks glitzy and diamond cut seems fadish. Interesting how each presents a quite different pose
After seeing a pic of a 570s in blade silver with silver wheels I've ruled those out, I'm not an all black wheel fan particularly but they do seem to suit this especially with the black pack. I like the diamond cut but a bit of a gamble if the satin grey part tones in ok so my plan is to order DC wheels and if they don't I'll get the inner sections done in either black or nimbus

Last edited:
The all black are my choice at the moment but only because I’d like to see the Nimbus along with the diamond cut in person to see if the “silvers clash”. Isn’t this fun?

View attachment 900
Bizarrely, that looks nothing like the sample I saw at Parks - I know photos can never be trusted but the silver was not that dark nor warm in tone like that either.

Like you, colours are my business - i have been in the sign industry for 40 years, mixing colour matches by eye from Ral, BS and PMS references for signwriting and painting. I also paint in acrylics on large canvases with painstaking colour matching a key part of my work

We can't both be right so something weird is going on! 🤣

Bizarrely, that looks nothing like the sample I saw at Parks - I know photos can never be trusted but the silver was not that dark nor warm in tone like that either.

Like you, colours are my business - i have been in the sign industry for 40 years, mixing colour matches by eye from Ral, BS and PMS references for signwriting and painting. I also paint in acrylics on large canvases with painstaking colour matching a key part of my work

We can't both be right so something weird is going on! 🤣
I like this colour as I think it may have the most 'flip' in it. Defo is the colour above, but also silver in direct sunshine. I think it will do wonders for the Emiras curves

I like this colour as I think it may have the most 'flip' in it. Defo is the colour above, but also silver in direct sunshine. I think it will do wonders for the Emiras curves
I think we all can agree on the curve and conture effect. It's eye candy I have a taste for.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back