Lotus Emira vs Porsche 718

I love my (987) Boxster Spyder which I've had as a summer car for over 11 years and wont ever sell, it has hydraulic steering, N/A flat six, lots of driver tweaks over the 'S' and pretty rare, the gearing is also spot on with 60mph at the top end of 2nd gear rev range. After an S1 Elise and S2 111s Elise the Spyder was the next step of something a bit less 'stripped out' but still special and driver focused.

I've toyed with the Evora as it drives beautifully but its expensive (old or new) and the interior was off putting for me, the Emira seems to fix all those concerns and offers again hydraulic steering, something I 'think' only McLaren are still doing and their steering feel is a delight.
The Emira will be the last analogue car ever made I think (that isnt £'000's or a Gordon Murray special!) and while Porsche have done amazing things with electric steering and adaptive dampers, drive a 981/718 or 992/991 back to back with a 987 or 997 and you'll see just how perfect Porsche's 'older' cars were - that is what Im hoping for from the Emira and why I'd rather spend the 80k on it than a GTS or GT4 (which Porsche wont sell me anyway).

I've sat in a lot and driven a few less Porsches. GT4, GT3, turbo s, endless 911s. Don't ask em what 'dot X' they are... They're all the same to me😉. But I have always found the interior (especially the seats) exceptional in all of them. I don't expect the emira to be in the same league tbh. I am buying an emira for reasons that porsche could never overcome... The emira is unique and individual. There are simply too many Porsches out there for me to want to own one. If the emira is even 80% of the level of the porsche interior, I for one will be a very happy man.
That's my sentiment also ... also i want a 'drivers' car and from people that have driven all the main brands I've spoke to nearly all say the Evora was a fantastic car to drive but the Porsche was a better overall 'livable' package. So with a bit of exclusivity and remedying some of the shortfalls (the Emira) it should be a winner

What I loved about my 911 is that it was not only fun while getting after it, but it was enjoyable around town as well and I could drive it on long trips for hours on end and never feel cramped or sore. I’m hoping the Emira is the same.

I own the first gen GT4 (981) since 3 years, been doing 8-10 track days every year since then. It's fun on track even though it has a few shortcomings. On the street, I find it kinda boring once you tasted what that car can deliver on a race track...

I think the Emira as a street car and the GT4 as a track car will be a great pair.

As a previous (many) Porsche owner,I can confirm that alot of them are tossers,including me.

That being said,the Cayman WAS a fantastic car,when it was a V6,the reason I had the 981 and not the turbo dull noise 718(which I had for a day,lifeless).

However, as many have rightly said,Porsche, while great (and let's not get green-they are great cars) are common as muck, which lost its appeal to me.

The Emira will be,whilst larger numbers than the Exige etc,still more exclusive and prettier dare I say than the Cayman.

Which also leads me to the engine choice:
Because I've experienced both the V6 and 4 cylinder turbo in the Cayman,I can safely say I have made the right choice in terms of choosing the V6 for the Emira.

Of course it's personal preference, but noise and thrill wise, the V6 was always the better option

As a previous (many) Porsche owner,I can confirm that alot of them are tossers,including me.

That being said,the Cayman WAS a fantastic car,when it was a V6,the reason I had the 981 and not the turbo dull noise 718(which I had for a day,lifeless).

However, as many have rightly said,Porsche, while great (and let's not get green-they are great cars) are common as muck, which lost its appeal to me.

The Emira will be,whilst larger numbers than the Exige etc,still more exclusive and prettier dare I say than the Cayman.

Which also leads me to the engine choice:
Because I've experienced both the V6 and 4 cylinder turbo in the Cayman,I can safely say I have made the right choice in terms of choosing the V6 for the Emira.

Of course it's personal preference, but noise and thrill wise, the V6 was always the better option
Oh dear you've started the war on V6 vs I4 :)

I love Porsche's never had one (had BMW's) but it was my next logical step to a 911 or GTS Boxster/Cayman - then the Emira came out.

As to the V6, some day petrol engined screaming cars will be remembered with the same emotion that people have for the Super Marine Spitfire on a flypast - and it wont be the I4 Emira.

Ive owned a 718 S and that was good just sounded crap, I've got a 911 992 S and it's amazing, but i'm going to be honest and maybe its because ive had series 1 and 2 Elise's in the late 90's and 2000's.

Ive never been more excited for the purchase of a new car than this Emira. Simply can't wait :-D

not sure it's gonna sound like that though. Keep in mind this is a showcar and is not restricted by the same laws as your road car.

not sure it's gonna sound like that though. Keep in mind this is a showcar and is not restricted by the same laws as your road car.
It's not got particulate filters so if it's not like that from stock it is easy enough to get! Another MASSIVE win for the new Emira

It's not got particulate filters so if it's not like that from stock it is easy enough to get! Another MASSIVE win for the new Emira
I’ll be looking for a cheap exhaust
mod or cat bypass to make it sound extra spicy…

I've sat in a lot and driven a few less Porsches. GT4, GT3, turbo s, endless 911s. Don't ask em what 'dot X' they are... They're all the same to me😉. But I have always found the interior (especially the seats) exceptional in all of them. I don't expect the emira to be in the same league tbh. I am buying an emira for reasons that porsche could never overcome... The emira is unique and individual. There are simply too many Porsches out there for me to want to own one. If the emira is even 80% of the level of the porsche interior, I for one will be a very happy man.
Having seen the new seats, well the evaluations units.... they are looking good. They are putting a lot of time into getting them as good as can be..... porsche good ? close may be ..... wellmade yep ..... looking good :)

Having seen the new seats, well the evaluations units.... they are looking good. They are putting a lot of time into getting them as good as can be..... porsche good ? close may be ..... wellmade yep ..... looking good :)
Andrew, I owned a 2005 Porsche Boxster for 10 years and they were the most comfortable seats I've ever had in any car, I hope the Emira's are close.

They could learn a lot from Volvos seats. Had an xc40 on eval at the weekend, very comfortable seats.

Regarding the Porsche GT4, I've listened to the exhaust note on both the original and latest model GT4, and there is a very noticeable difference.
The original sounds much more raw, like the Evora in the video.
I guess that's what you get when you add particulate filters to the exhaust. Muffled sound.☹
Same thing when you add a turbocharger. Muffled sound.☹

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back