• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Emira vs Porsche 718

I'm 5'9" with short legs and have to have the seat in my Evora all the way forward, but then have to slide it 60-70% backwards to be able to get out. I was amazed I could adjust the Emira seat to a comfortable driving position (not right at the front stop) and get in and out without moving the seat.

There are several videos circulating of the "Lotus Technique" for getting in and out of Elises/Exiges, including some epic fails. Emira owners new to Lotus won't have to go through this previously important rite of passage into Lotus ownership :)
I have the same curse! That's why the seat memory setting is such a handy feature, something I'll miss from the Corvette as it not only pushed the seat back but moved the steering column forward too. I'm not worried though. If you can crawl in and out of something like a Pantera or Countach, getting into an Emira should be a breeze..:)

Save a minimum of $10K extra to get your Emira ready for the track!

My track "intentions" keep evolving. Now I currently don't want to track the Emira and just buy a used car to beat up at the track. My GT4 deposit is in jeopardy because I just placed a deposit on the 2024 Dark Horse Mustang. Nothing against the Emira or any other supercharged or turbo car but I do like NA, especially with a V8. Plus the price for an Emira and Dark Horse are a little more practical. Due to the negative feedback on the GT4 gearing, I was looking at PDK and not manual, but the Dark Horse will certainly be a manual so it has edged out the GT4 for now.

But its not an ERA its a Lotus?
I fixed for you LST
Gayman - common , built by VW , boring , generic looks , everyone has one , overgeared in 6 cylinder form. Problematic engines - a friend recently bought a new GT4 and had to get a new engine BEFORE delivery as there were a batch with bad conrods!

Emira - rare , supercar looks , ultra reliable V6 capable of simple upgrades, usual Lotus superior dynamics and wow they look good .. did I mention that , plus great community and events for Lotus here in Oz

that’s my choice made 😁
Rob, I'm going to get you a job at Lotus, you already convinced me, I've heard so many good things about the Emira from the owners, I even put down a deposit on the mine!! I'm not worry about the ultra reliable engine, those resistor packs and crazy glue they use on the seats are the ones that get on your nerves, BTW tell your friend I'll even trade him my Ultra reliable Evora GT for his GT4 with the bad engine and all, heck, don't forget, before the Emira, the Evora Gt had super car looks... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I got a call today from Porsche cancelling my deposit for a GT4. They said production is ending in about two months. I wasn't interested in a GTS. I guess I will just watch the used market for GT4s but they are pricey. Again, trying to get a mid engine car and feel it's good to be proactive in case something happens to my BASE Emira, not interested in C8...

I got a call today from Porsche cancelling my deposit for a GT4. They said production is ending in about two months. I wasn't interested in a GTS. I guess I will just watch the used market for GT4s but they are pricey. Again, trying to get a mid engine car and feel it's good to be proactive in case something happens to my BASE Emira, not interested in C8...
Yes I have heard the same, GT4/Spyder production has been all allocated. There are some allocations still floating around though.

This will only further Emira deposits, once all the 718 guys realize they can no longer build a new one.

Yes I have heard the same, GT4/Spyder production has been all allocated. There are some allocations still floating around though.

This will only further Emira deposits, once all the 718 guys realize they can no longer build a new one.

I was hoping Porsche may reverse course and keep making them if there was enough demand. IMO nothing can be taken for granted on these "allocation" cars. Production can halt or be extended at any moment.

I was hoping Porsche may reverse course and keep making them if there was enough demand. IMO nothing can be taken for granted on these "allocation" cars. Production can halt or be extended at any moment.
Yes, I know... They did a 4 year run, which was longer than most people expected. Plus the 718 models have been produced since 2017. That is 6 years ago. With two more years to run until electric. So 8 year total run is fairly long, even for Porsche. They were always going to stop production with some demand still there, it's how they keep residuals high and customers happy.

GT4/Spyder are being replaced by the RS models. Unfortunately those will be A LOT more money - and considerably more difficult to attain. GTS-S-Base-T will run until 2025. End of the line coming for the mid-engine ICE.... Porsche's best/most balanced chassis.

Yes, I know... They did a 4 year run, which was longer than most people expected. Plus the 718 models have been produced since 2017. That is 6 years ago. With two more years to run until electric. So 8 year total run is fairly long, even for Porsche. They were always going to stop production with some demand still there, it's how they keep residuals high and customers happy.

GT4/Spyder are being replaced by the RS models. Unfortunately those will be A LOT more money - and considerably more difficult to attain. GTS-S-Base-T will run until 2025. End of the line coming for the mid-engine ICE.... Porsche's best/most balanced chassis.
Plus the RS models will be PDK only from what I've read, though not set it stone I guess.

Plus the RS models will be PDK only from what I've read, though not set it stone I guess.
Yes I have heard the same... and even if it is not, I can't see how any non VIP Porsche person gets one. Especially Spyder RS. Rennlist has been saying 100K ADM's for GT4RS, which is insane. Either way, from what I have read the 4RS might be a little too track focused for my liking.

How did Porsche manage to get such a lock on the sports car market? Is it because most other car companies stopped trying?

How did Porsche manage to get such a lock on the sports car market? Is it because most other car companies stopped trying?
60 Years of perfecting it's Iconic 911 (besides Corvette, I don't think there is a sports car name that has survived longer?)
Most manufacturer wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans all time
6 top lap times out of the top 20 at Nurburgring time and 2nd over all in a 911 GT2RS (which sits between the Mercedes AMG One @ 2.8 Mil USD in 1st and Mclaren P1 @ 1.5 Mil USD in 3rd)
Still makes a manual gearbox
Celebrates it's heritage proudly - Vintage 911's are proudly displayed in new car showrooms (Lotus could take a hint from this, although they do @ the Hethel factory)

They make sports cars that are incredible on track with back seats and yet comfortable. Built with high quality and are relatively affordable. The 992 GT3 RS is quicker around a track than an Aventedor SVJ - At half the price.

Anyway, it's basically because they keep making a VW beetle that is faster than supercars from Ferrari, Lambo and Mclaren.

It does but the wait time for one is ridiculously long as well.
That's fine! Emira and Carrera T means years of savings.

I'd love to really daily the T. Would it be a good highway cruiser 2x a week? Too noisy relative to the base 911?

60 Years of perfecting it's Iconic 911 (besides Corvette, I don't think there is a sports car name that has survived longer?)
Most manufacturer wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans all time
6 top lap times out of the top 20 at Nurburgring time and 2nd over all in a 911 GT2RS (which sits between the Mercedes AMG One @ 2.8 Mil USD in 1st and Mclaren P1 @ 1.5 Mil USD in 3rd)
Still makes a manual gearbox
Celebrates it's heritage proudly - Vintage 911's are proudly displayed in new car showrooms (Lotus could take a hint from this, although they do @ the Hethel factory)

They make sports cars that are incredible on track with back seats and yet comfortable. Built with high quality and are relatively affordable. The 992 GT3 RS is quicker around a track than an Aventedor SVJ - At half the price.

Anyway, it's basically because they keep making a VW beetle that is faster than supercars from Ferrari, Lambo and Mclaren.
And yet the McLaren Senna still holds the Car & Driver Lightning Lap record at VIR since 2019. Let's see how the new Z06 does.

And yet the McLaren Senna still holds the Car & Driver Lightning Lap record at VIR since 2019. Let's see how the new Z06 does.
At 1 Mil / 2 Mil sale price, I certainly hope so.... I am also interested to see how the Z06 competes against the GT3 RS on track. These cars are just getting to be ridiculous fast. I will give it to corvette, really is the best competitor to the 911 in terms of price/speed. Just wish the C8 looked a little more toned down. Then again I would not be a GT3 RS buyer, to intense for my liking. They really are race cars being made barely road legal.

Does z06 compete against GT3 or GT3RS? (ZR1 competes against GT2) - to many models :oops:

Lightning Lap records.JPG

Car & Driver Lightning Lap at VIR current records
But I agree, the Corvette will always be a great bang for the buck if you're willing to overlook its poor quality/reliability. The Emira design, especially the back half, is superior IMO.

Last edited:
Back