• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

More details for KEF Audio

Reading through the muddy middling reviews of the KEF after a weekend with my friend's C8 has me a bit disappointed. That stereo is like black magic. It's great with the HTC down and at ninety on the highway. This is a closed coupe. Clear and loud audio should be a reasonable assumption at this price point.
I wouldn't worry too much. I personally thought the KEF system was amazing during my test drive. I think most of the people who are unhappy with it don't have the right inputs/equalizer settings. In my BMW's Harman Kardon setup, my Apple Play music sounds mediocre but once I play it from Spotify it's like a whole new system because I have the EQ in that app tweaked a bit.

When I was listening to music from Spotify on my iPhone in the demo car using Wireless CarPlay, it was PLENTY loud and clear. I was actually very impressed. The rumors of "you can't even hear it at 70" sounds like something else is amiss.

It will be interesting to hear peoples' opinions here in the USA after we receive our cars following all the speculation due to the extended waiting period for the Emira.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much. I personally thought the KEF system was amazing during my test drive.

When I was listening to music from Spotify on my iPhone in the demo car using Wireless CarPlay, it was PLENTY loud and clear. I was actually very impressed. The rumors of "you can't even hear it at 70" sounds like something else is amiss.
Interesting. I wonder how many people are just getting inconsistent build quality. Glad there are a few people here happy with the audio. Putting on some good music and ticking off the miles is therapy for me.

Interesting. I wonder how many people are just getting inconsistent build quality. Glad there are a few people here happy with the audio. Putting on some good music and ticking off the miles is therapy for me.
So admittedly I didn't do much listening while driving so I can't comment directly on the road/engine noise working against the system. What I can say, however, is that while parked it was very clear and very loud at something like 30-40% volume if I recall correctly. It's difficult for me to imagine it being that sub-par at speed unless something is really wrong with the sound dampening from the outside.

Seems like testing the audio should be possible while awaiting CARB signoff. In particular I’d like to know how the bass response changes if a window is open.

Seems like testing the audio should be possible while awaiting CARB signoff. In particular I’d like to know how the bass response changes if a window is open.
At speed you can’t open the windows anyway. Reviews say the heat coming off the front is unbelievable.

At speed you can’t open the windows anyway. Reviews say the heat coming off the front is unbelievable.
Zero issues with that on a hot day on my Monterey car week test drive and that was a spicy drive. Didn’t even have the AC on.

After I purchased a new 2011 Evora I did a complete rebuild of my audio system after 5 months of ownership. (On Lotus Talk) It took me well over 2+ weeks and the end results came out significantly better than the current OEM KEF system. To me it’s hard to beat the current high-end systems in the higher end SUV’s and sports sedans like my system in my Audi Etron GT. I prefer a OEM look and always installed my systems to look like it came from the factory. In my younger days I have installed so many systems and decided to hang up my tools after completing an install on my 2009 E90 M3. Truly what made me stop doing installs other than time is every CAR/SUV I purchased after the M3 I picked the most expensive system the brand offered B&O/B&W/Burmeister & all were very good systems.
The problem I had in the Evora was the lack of space to install a new Driver in the factory SUB location which looks to be very similar to the Emira in photos.
I played the KEF system for a few hours and was thinking WTF is wrong with Lotus and why would KEF sign off on this system. It’s lacking in loudness meaning power to Push the speakers, literally you have to put the volume at 75% to hear it & I have picky good ears. When playing a song with heavier bass it seems the sub has issues dealing with the lower notes and reverberates back a very muddy response. In my short analysis I feel the amp is probably the main issue of the system. Like I mentioned since I completely pulled my car interior apart down to the aluminum subframe removal of everything, I can tell the sub location from pictures is in the same spot as the Evora. I will never forget working on the Evora it was one of the hardest jobs I ever did, and I have worked on many high-end cars in my days.
We will have our cars in the next 30 plus days so time will tell if my picky ears can handle it or if I must do something about it. OMG please no I am older now and don’t have the patience to deal with this again. Maybe Air Pods will work:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Several members with cars have suggested the audio can be improved with equalizer setting changes. Can those members please suggest their preferred settings. Thanks

I played the KEF system for a few hours and was thinking WTF is wrong with Lotus and why would KEF sign off on this system. It’s lacking in loudness meaning power to Push the speakers, literally you have to put the volume at 75% to hear it & I have picky good ears. When playing a song with heavier bass it seems the sub has issues dealing with the lower notes and reverberates back a very muddy response. In my short analysis I feel the amp is probably the main issue of the system. Like I mentioned since I completely pulled my car interior part down to the aluminum subframe removal of everything the sub location is in the same exact spot as the Evora. I will never forget working on the Evora it was one of the hardest jobs I ever did and I have worked on many high-end cars in my days.
We will have our cars in the next 30 plus days so time will tell if my picky ears can handle it or if I must do something about it. OMG please no I am older now and don’t have the patience to deal with this again. Maybe Air Pods will work:ROFLMAO:

Was the system you were playing with new or one that had had change to properly bed in? I've seen multiple reports that the KEF system improves over time. So when you get your car you may need some patience before coming to a conclusion.

After I purchased a new 2011 Evora I did a complete rebuild of my audio system after 5 months of ownership. (On Lotus Talk) It took me well over 2+ weeks and the end results came out significantly better than the current OEM KEF system. To me it’s hard to beat the current high-end systems in the higher end SUV’s and sports sedans like my system in my Audi Etron GT. I prefer a OEM look and always installed my systems to look like it came from the factory. In my younger days I have installed so many systems and decided to hang up my tools after completing an install on my 2009 E90 M3. Truly what made me stop doing installs other than time is every CAR/SUV I purchased after the M3 I picked the most expensive system the brand offered B&O/B&W/Burmeister & all were very good systems.
The problem I had in the Evora was the lack of space to install a new Driver in the factory SUB location which looks to be very similar to the Emira in photos. .

I played the KEF system for a few hours and was thinking WTF is wrong with Lotus and why would KEF sign off on this system. It’s lacking in loudness meaning power to Push the speakers, literally you have to put the volume at 75% to hear it & I have picky good ears. When playing a song with heavier bass it seems the sub has issues dealing with the lower notes and reverberates back a very muddy response. In my short analysis I feel the amp is probably the main issue of the system. Like I mentioned since I completely pulled my car interior part down to the aluminum subframe removal of everything the sub location is in the same exact spot as the Evora. I will never forget working on the Evora it was one of the hardest jobs I ever did and I have worked on many high-end cars in my days.
Was it a production car you tried? There were some improvements in the system in terms of power for production vehicles. Would you say the system you listened to lacked clean power or if the subwoofer is just not up to snuff? One thing that I thought odd is that the cabin pressure vents are right next to the subwoofer, which may contribute to diminished bass response.

The modern OEM systems in higher end cars are good in the sense of good overall tonal balance and sound stage placement/stability, but not so much clarity and sound stage width.

I am eager to listen to and measure the KEF system to see just what people are complaining about.

Was the system you were playing with new or one that had had change to properly bed in? I've seen multiple reports that the KEF system improves over time. So when you get your car you may need some patience before coming to a conclusion.
I been in 4 different Emira ‘s over the last 6 months all Lotus dealer Demo cars. Hoping these cars are not the finished product, but my experience with Lotus it more than likely the same. Someone said the Amp was improved since its release, but I have no facts to back that up. I do agree allowing the speakers to work in helps but this will not solve the lack of power and the problem with the Sub when heavy base hits it. I feel the soundstage with all the speakers is decent, it’s when the system is hit with base notes. My C8 Z51 Corvette Bose was good system, but far from the B&O in my Audi Etron SUV & GT. Many car subs have these Reverb issues, but at least the upgraded system is much better than the Evora/400/GT, but sub is still concerning. I felt best case I would need to do a rear teardown add some sound deadening to help with reverberations and rear panel rattling, time will tell.

Last edited:
Was it a production car you tried? There were some improvements in the system in terms of power for production vehicles. Would you say the system you listened to lacked clean power or if the subwoofer is just not up to snuff? One thing that I thought odd is that the cabin pressure vents are right next to the subwoofer, which may contribute to diminished bass response.

The modern OEM systems in higher end cars are good in the sense of good overall tonal balance and sound stage placement/stability, but not so much clarity and sound stage width.

I am eager to listen to and measure the KEF system to see just what people are complaining about.
Your correct on the open cavity and having it by the air vents, this was an issue when I was adding a new sub and amp. I remembered the cavity was open in other areas too as it was a free air sub and not fully enclosed. The amp Imo is lacking power and depending how Lotus picked the amps to power the system ( who is more focused on lightness verses amp and speaker power which is a good thing.) I bet we find out all speakers are good it’s going to be the Amp and how it’s divided out to power all speakers. i Will look for my install pics, or the link Been a while and it was way before iPad was invented, which I use most of the time.

Last edited:
I played the KEF system for a few hours and was thinking WTF is wrong with Lotus and why would KEF sign off on this system. It’s lacking in loudness meaning power to Push the speakers, literally you have to put the volume at 75% to hear it & I have picky good ears. When playing a song with heavier bass it seems the sub has issues dealing with the lower notes and reverberates back a very muddy response. In my short analysis I feel the amp is probably the main issue of the system

Thanks Fasttoys for your spot-on description of the Emira car audio system that I completely agree with. I am also waiting for the delivery of my car, but I have heard enough to make a personal judgement from a few demo car drives, and from a friend’s Emira who already has arrived.

I plan to go thoroughly through the entire Emira car audio system in order to pinpoint what needs to be done to make it sound acceptable (to me). I agree that the power amplifier is suspect, and I am personally very skeptical about the so-called “Fresh Air Speaker” used in the Emira as a subwoofer..

When my car arrives, I will first of all test the system as-is, and I will give it a chance (even fiddle with equalizer settings). However, I have yet heard any equalizer that can turn an “ugly duckling” audio performance into a “swan lake” performance. Usually you need to go to the root of the problem and start building up.

Personally I hope to keep the venerable KEF driver units, even if I have to add a tweeter on top, and exchange the subwoofer at the bottom. Its to early to tell what the entire remedy will become.

I am sure that many will happily enjoy the Emira car audio system just the way it comes from the factory, while others will find it lacking to the extent that some thought and investment is needed to bring it up to snuff.

Thanks Fasttoys for your spot-on description of the Emira car audio system that I completely agree with. I am also waiting for the delivery of my car, but I have heard enough to make a personal judgement from a few demo car drives, and from a friend’s Emira who already has arrived.

I plan to go thoroughly through the entire Emira car audio system in order to pinpoint what needs to be done to make it sound acceptable (to me). I agree that the power amplifier is suspect, and I am personally very skeptical about the so-called “Fresh Air Speaker” used in the Emira as a subwoofer..

When my car arrives, I will first of all test the system as-is, and I will give it a chance (even fiddle with equalizer settings). However, I have yet heard any equalizer that can turn an “ugly duckling” audio performance into a “swan lake” performance. Usually you need to go to the root of the problem and start building up.

Personally I hope to keep the venerable KEF driver units, even if I have to add a tweeter on top, and exchange the subwoofer at the bottom. Its to early to tell what the entire remedy will become.

I am sure that many will happily enjoy the Emira car audio system just the way it comes from the factory, while others will find it lacking to the extent that some thought and investment is needed to bring it up to snuff.
I remember the angst whether the engine sounds were impressive enough, and the new efforts to alter the exhaust accordingly.
Different music, different ears.

Spot on but I want to be fair as my assessment was done on all 4 Emira's, after I pulled up in my Audi Etron GT that has the upgraded B&O system. In terms of its audio configuration, the B&O system that is in my GT, has 16 speakers that combined output 710 Watts. At the front, there is: a tweeter at each extremity of the dashboard; a center loudspeaker placed in the middle of the dashboard; active wide-band speakers within the A-pillars; a mid-range and bass speaker within each of the front doors. At the rear, there is: a bass speaker and tweeter within the rear doors, and two effect speakers within the rear parcel shelf. Finally, there’s a subwoofer in the boot. I want to make that clear to the forum members reading my comments that I am picky too.

Do what now? Where did you hear this?
With all the "niggles" and annoyances reported, I have never heard this, either. I would imagine some of our worldwide Emira owners could chime in here. I had the windows down in the demo car at at least 50mph and I noticed no heat whatsoever. Hard to believe this is a real issue or it would've been reported extensively amongst this crowd :)

The Evora sub was very basic & stayed the same all through till its departure with the GT. Here are some pictures. When looking at the rear & internal panels in the manufacturing videos the Emira looks similar to the Evora. I am sure the sub is much better in the Emira & IMO this car is a true refresh from the outgoing model. I changed my SUB to a JL/Driver & added an Amp. The Picture is based on the SUB from the Evora/400/GT. I will be interested to look at my Emira after I take delivery in JAN/FEB 2024.
OEM SUB Driver is on the Right
IMG_1882.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG

Open Cavity on the rear box fits the opening in the fiberglass internal panel.
IMG_1888.JPG

Emira Picture below looks to have the SUB on the Right-hand side too.
Emira 2024 on line Internal.png

Emira onLine 2023
Lotus Emira 2023-2024.png

Below Evora with Engine removed at local shop
C360_2012-07-0318-27-10.jpg

Last edited:
The Emira has its sub in the same spot but the design is different. Also, there seems to be specs for two drivers in the subwoofer enclosure, and not one. I would imagine that the Bluacs folks consulted on the subwoofer placement. There is nothing special about an externally vented subwoofer. If the bass performance is lackluster it would not be because of this aspect of the design.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back