More details for KEF Audio

maybe 12 hours... somebody wrote on another thread that it gets better after 25 hours but I don't believe it :-(

FWIW I've searched for evidence showing car audio systems get better with time and came up with nothing. Unless someone provides a source to that claim, I'm calling troll! šŸ§

FWIW I've searched for evidence showing car audio systems get better with time and came up with nothing. Unless someone provides a source to that claim, I'm calling troll! šŸ§

My grandfather had something like (see photo) in his Skoda S100 in the 70ies and the sound was better... :cry:

(The Skoda S100 was a rear engine and rear drive car - a "Porsche" made by then state owned Skoda :p)

skoda-120-original-autoradio-tez-lada-wartburg-moskvic-f38989c3-728a-48e0-b210-f8a37472a618.jpeg
640px-Skoda_100-2.jpeg

"Car audio" not necessarily, but KEF isn't a standard car audio brand.

Just do a search on whatever search engine you use, for break-in period for high-end audio speaker systems. You can even tag it with KEF. There are a ton of articles (and probably videos) that go into this with all the details.

Just do a search on whatever search engine you use, for break-in period for high-end audio speaker systems. You can even tag it with KEF. There are a ton of articles (and probably videos) that go into this with all the details.
Ok... hope it works!

Yeah that somebody was me. KEF is a high-end brand, and high-end gear improves with use.
It actually has nothing to do with it being "high end", though you can tell the difference more readily on high quality equipment.

Audio transducers, particularly midbass and bass drivers, have to physically move back and forth in order to transfer energy to the air and create a sound wave. The surround material around the edge of the driver that centers/locates the driver cone is typically made of a stiff but flexible material (like rubber) in order to allow this motion while also surviving millions or billions of driver excursions without failure.

The stiffness of the surround material acts as a damper to the driver's motion (which very slightly impedes both response and output) but will typically loosen up with initial use through the first 10-20 hours of playback. The process goes much faster with bass-heavy content and higher volumes.

FYI temperature extremes will also have an effect on system performance because of this, since low temperatures can sometimes dramatically change the flexibility of the surround material.

It actually has nothing to do with it being "high end", though you can tell the difference more readily on high quality equipment.

Audio transducers, particularly midbass and bass drivers, have to physically move back and forth in order to transfer energy to the air and create a sound wave. The surround material around the edge of the driver that centers/locates the driver cone is typically made of a stiff but flexible material (like rubber) in order to allow this motion while also surviving millions or billions of driver excursions without failure.

The stiffness of the surround material acts as a damper to the driver's motion (which very slightly impedes both response and output) but will typically loosen up with initial use through the first 10-20 hours of playback. The process goes much faster with bass-heavy content and higher volumes.

FYI temperature extremes will also have an effect on system performance because of this, since low temperatures can sometimes dramatically change the flexibility of the surround material.
It's also a matter of the quality of the materials used and the construction. High-end gear uses higher quality (more expensive) materials so they tend to respond more noticeably after breaking in.

For what it's worth, I just sent an email to KEF to find out if they have recommended EQ settings for the Emira, and specifically if there's a different profile setting for an Alcantara interior versus a leather interior. I'll post what they say.

For what it's worth, I just sent an email to KEF to find out if they have recommended EQ settings for the Emira, and specifically if there's a different profile setting for an Alcantara interior versus a leather interior. I'll post what they say.
Be interesting to see if they acknowledge even making a system for the Emira! There has been so little fanfare about it I'm not sure what is going on

Be interesting to see if they acknowledge even making a system for the Emira! There has been so little fanfare about it I'm not sure what is going on

I've seen some posts about it here and there.

They probably wanted to wait until cars are out there in the hands of customers. Maybe we'll see more from them now that that's happening, although I would imagine back in the beginning when they were first approached, it wasn't the Emira that convinced them to get involved, it was the electric cars. They were probably told by Lotus that based on the sales history of the Evora, etc., they weren't expecting high volumes out of the Emira, but KEF were probably shown the projections for the Eletre and the electric vehicles, and that's what convinced them to get involved.

They probably wanted to wait until cars are out there in the hands of customers. Maybe we'll see more from them now that that's happening, although I would imagine back in the beginning when they were first approached, it wasn't the Emira that convinced them to get involved, it was the electric cars. They were probably told by Lotus that based on the sales history of the Evora, etc., they weren't expecting high volumes out of the Emira, but KEF were probably shown the projections for the Eletre and the electric vehicles, and that's what convinced them to get involved.
There is a KEF system in the Eletre then yes?

From what I gathered from the car at the b&c open day, is that the fm/dab is ā€˜okā€™ (and likely due to the ariel as aluminium isnā€™t great for these it seems) but via apple carplay, it sounded pretty good at medium volume.. I tried deadmau5 which is pretty bassy, and it dealt with it well..

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back