• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Nitron Suspension Development

As a comparison, the Fast Road and Club Sport Nitron NTRs for the Evora are $2,200-2,300.

Ohlins TTX were a factory option on the GT410 and fitted to the GT430. They are $7,000 aftermarket.

Yeah watch the rick fit $500 pro kit springs and you only beat me to the marina by 45 seconds :)
but seriously Tom and K if I’m committed to static lowering springs, should I spec sport v touring?

and Tom on a personal note, are you an insomniac?
12:28 AM
Wednesday, January 11, 2023 (GMT)
Time in United Kingdom

Last edited:
Yeah watch the rick fit $500 pro kit springs and you only beat me to the marina by 45 seconds :)
but seriously Tom and K if I’m committed to static lowering springs, should I spec sport v touring?

Time in United Kingdom

I can't personally recommend only lowering springs myself. A 1" drop means a 1" reduction in damper travel. That being said if you're absolutely committed to reducing damper travel, the lowering springs will likely have a higher spring rate to compensate and instructions on how to chop down the bumpstops. Since the spring rates would be higher, I would opt for the sport setup as they are potentially valved for slightly higher spring rates.

On a kinematic level, lowering your car without changing anything else also to a degree changes the distance between your center of gravity and your moment center. The distance between the two is called your moment arm, and the longer it becomes, the more the leverage increases, this actually create more body roll. Lowering spring mfg compensate by making springs stiffer as mentioned above.

Great to see this happening already

Ohlins next? They or one of their partners are already working with Lotus on the Emira GT4 race car.

It’ll be good to have several options.
Possibly Russ at Mick Gardener Racing in (of all places) Barnsley! Only a cocks stride from me.

I have asked him about putting ohlins on the Exige some time back. Hes done loads of work for Lotus.

Very likely. MGR did the Ohlins setup for the Evora GT430.

Time in United Kingdom

I speced sport and expecting lowering cups to be available fairly soon. Those Nitrons and OHLINS are big money... Too much for me as I'm not a competitive track rat. If I go coilovers, I'm hoping for a ~$3k KW v2 or v3 option that'll give me height and dampening adjustment. The rebound adjustment with the v3s would be a plus. I'm fairly confident I'll stick with the oem Bilstein/Eibach set up since that's what I run on my GTI and it's perfect for my needs and comfort level. Super reliable and doesn't require revalving as often as most coilovers seem to.

Lowering cups seem like a decent option since it only drops ¾" (on the Evoras at least) and shouldn't stress out the factory struts too much. B8s are pretty tough!

Recent video interview with Guy Evens the CEO of Nitron talking about the Emira development.
  • Thinks Emira build quality is great
  • Planned Products:
    • Lowering Springs
    • 1-Way Dampers & Springs, fixed height and some lowering
    • 1-Way Dampers & Springs, adjustable height
    • 2-Way & More
    • Premium product with billet aluminum mounts for everything
    • Electronic adjustable dampers with constant adjustment with their own controller with bluetooth app support for configurable tuning.
  • All products planned being plug and play
  • Some products will be ready by the time the Emira is launched in the US.

Personally I am excited for the electronically adjustable dampers and the fact that they're opening shop in South California for damper servicing etc.

I find it interesting that, given lotus USP is handling/feel, Litchfield have (seemingly) prioritised suspension improvements over engine tuning...

With the GR Yaris they had 2 cars for parallel development.

I'm most excited about the electronically adjustable dampers. After watching the video, It sounds like we'll be able to adjust compression & rebound from a mobile app, much like the way the 992 GT3RS can do so from its steering wheel. No more climbing under the car to adjust those like I have to do with the KW Clubsports I have on my Supra. Happy day!

I find it interesting that, given lotus USP is handling/feel, Litchfield have (seemingly) prioritised suspension improvements over engine tuning...

With the GR Yaris they had 2 cars for parallel development.
Lotus are developing to a target price, but will do amazing things with standard springs and dampers.

If you are happy to spend on upgrades then the chassis is a brilliant foundation for going to adjustables or something more focused on your use case.

Recent video interview with Guy Evens the CEO of Nitron talking about the Emira development.
  • Thinks Emira build quality is great
  • Planned Products:
    • Lowering Springs
    • 1-Way Dampers & Springs, fixed height and some lowering
    • 1-Way Dampers & Springs, adjustable height
    • 2-Way & More
    • Premium product with billet aluminum mounts for everything
    • Electronic adjustable dampers with constant adjustment with their own controller with bluetooth app support for configurable tuning.
  • All products planned being plug and play
  • Some products will be ready by the time the Emira is launched in the US.

Personally I am excited for the electronically adjustable dampers and the fact that they're opening shop in South California for damper servicing etc.
My S2000 was the guinea pig for Nitron's development of the set up for the S2000 (I still have some pretty graphs somewhere on the hard drive relating to the benchmarking of the OEM shocks). Guy kindly upgraded my order FOC to what is now labelled the R3 spec (3-way adjustable with remote reservoirs) which meant I tinkered endlessly on track days (mostly in a cack-handed manner). They were markedly better than OEM, even on the average British B road. It convinced me that aftermarket dampers can deliver a performance that a price-constrained OEM cannot match.

My S2000 was the guinea pig for Nitron's development of the set up for the S2000 (I still have some pretty graphs somewhere on the hard drive relating to the benchmarking of the OEM shocks). Guy kindly upgraded my order FOC to what is now labelled the R3 spec (3-way adjustable with remote reservoirs) which meant I tinkered endlessly on track days (mostly in a cack-handed manner). They were markedly better than OEM, even on the average British B road. It convinced me that aftermarket dampers can deliver a performance that a price-constrained OEM cannot match.

Glad to hear it! I also owned an S2000 for a very long time with a number of suspension setups. I never got around to trying any of Nitron's offerings but was considering them and had a couple quotes done for the R3 on my M4 ZCP.

Honestly if you spring your car for the right mix of road surfaces and then valve around that, you can't go wrong with a high quality aftermarket damper. Where people usually go wrong is picking far too high of a wheel rate or picking a preconfigured race package.

What sort of maintenance intervals did you find with your R3s on the S2000?

:cool:

IMG_0176.jpeg
IMG_0179.jpeg
IMG_4786.jpeg
IMG_4785.jpeg
IMG_0181.jpeg

Ooh, fancy!

Do you have to take the wheels off to access the adjusters?
Rear rebound looks like it would be difficult.

Emira with Nitrons

Not sure if anyone else saw this at Goodwood. It certainly makes the car look better - interesting to drive it and see what difference it makes. I believe there might be an opportunity to do this later in the month. This is the ultra low set up (35mm lower than standard) so probably a bit too much for normal use. However various other heights / options are available. They are also working on an electronically adjustable option.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 245