• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Not long to wait…… Autocar drive review on March 9

Gentlemen I'm here to set your minds at ease.
Personally, I don't really care what the critics think, some are bought and paid for.
Harry is the one gent I will pay attention to because he covers real world important things like ride quality, not how far he can drive the car sideways.
Chris Harris is a bit of a twit, bit if a show off, and really prefers the cars that he can drift, drive sideways most easily.
That's why he generally prefers rear wheel drive cars, like BMW M cars, as they are easy to drift.
If the Evora was well received by not only the critics but the general public (customers), which it was, there is no way Lotus is going to make an inferior car, especially when it's their very last ice powered car.
Their whole reputation is resting on the Emira.
They will take as much time as they need to get it right the first time.
So no worries mates, it will be an amazing sports car, even if it's a little underpowered.
If a 3 cylinder GR Yaris can have over 500hp tuned of course, there should be no reason why the Emira gets less hp than the Evora.
Porsche would never come out with a new model car with less hp than the previous model year.
Can you imagine some nerd named Poindexter pulls up beside you in your Emira, he in his sleeper tuned Yaris and destroys you in a drag race, how embarrassing.
If that’s your bag. Some of us aren’t basing our purchase on traffic light Grand Prix, top trumps or pub bragging rights :)

Right, for £80K OTR you get a new car, never been seen before. Good, bad or indifferent I dint care.

Anyone actually looked at current prices for an exile (give up with your auto text its a bloody ex ige). prices for low mileage are above this for a second hand car - wake up and stop moaning.

Mate, it's still their last ice car, I would think Lotus would like to go out with a bang not a whimper.
Yeah, but Lotus and Geely are in the business of making money. They've evidently spent a lot of time working on fit and finish. I am not sure how much else they accomplish with smaller margins. Time will tell.

If that’s your bag. Some of us aren’t basing our purchase on traffic light Grand Prix, top trumps or pub bragging rights :)
Top trumps , you are really showing your age Tom but what a great card game nevertheless. Of course in every 1000th pack sold there would be a Cayman GT4 card in it but only if your best mates with the retailer.

Top trumps , you are really showing your age Tom but what a great card game nevertheless. Of course in every 1000th pack sold there would be a Cayman GT4 card in it but only if your best mates with the retailer.
Love top trumps. Me and the missus play it in the beer garden in summer.. ☀️ Will bring some to the Lotus meet at Chatsworth 😅

Love top trumps. Me and the missus play it in the beer garden in summer.. ☀️ Will bring some to the Lotus meet at Chatsworth 😅
We have a few variants going in our household... The most popular being Minecraft :rolleyes:
Problem is, the kids basically memorise the entire deck (as do I, obviously 😁), so each game goes on for aaaages!

I bet I can get them more interested in "car stuff" once the Emira arrives :cool:

I wonder how much of a price bump it would be for V6 non-FE. Rivian raised their prices due to cost increase and lots of people canceled. Investors don’t like it and that is reflected in their stock. I don’t think Lotus will raise it substantially but you never know. It might be higher than a few percentages.

I wonder how much of a price bump it would be for V6 non-FE. Rivian raised their prices due to cost increase and lots of people canceled. Investors don’t like it and that is reflected in their stock. I don’t think Lotus will raise it substantially but you never know. It might be higher than a few percentages.
Rivian just announced they're stepping back from price increases for existing customers. But with all their supply issues and risks that valuation is bonkers and the announcement is doing little to stop its fall.

Rivian just announced they're stepping back from price increases for existing customers. But with all their supply issues and risks that valuation is bonkers and the announcement is doing little to stop its fall.
I saw that, and it was expected. The fallout might be unstoppable now. Just made me wonder if Lotus is looking at it as a learning lesson.

This is the big problem with the electric future. Unless there's a cheaper battery technology developed, the cost of this technology is out of reach of the greater masses of customers, and it doesn't appear to be getting any cheaper. There's also the added cost of infrastructure upgrades that would be necessary to handle the load on the system that's going to increase as more people start buying and charging their cars.

So far, producing electricity isn't that green, and batteries certainly aren't. They really need to stop being so single-minded and embrace a balance, by combining the usage of electric and fossil fuels as the situation and application warrants. Each one has it's strength, and I think it's a mistake to abandon fossil fuels under the guise of electric being green and environmentally friendly, because so far, it really isn't.

and it doesn't appear to be getting any cheaper.
Don't want to get too off topic here but I dislike misinformation. Li-ion batteries averaged $1200/kWh in 2010, and were down to $132/kWh by last year... An 89% decrease. That will likely drop below $100/kWh in the next year or so with Tesla mass manufacturing 4680 cells.
So far, producing electricity isn't that green, and batteries certainly aren't. They really need to stop being so single-minded and embrace a balance, by combining the usage of electric and fossil fuels as the situation and application warrants. Each one has it's strength, and I think it's a mistake to abandon fossil fuels under the guise of electric being green and environmentally friendly, because so far, it really isn't.
Depends where you live, but the electricity in my area is ~60% renewable without household solar. Li-ion batteries are also repeatedly recyclable. Unsure what you mean by abandoning fossil fuels, they're going to be around for a while. Modern electricity generation is much more environmentally friendly than pumping and refining oil. Even coal plants are cleaner than that.

Anyways, back on topic. Really hope Autocar will have a video review of the same white Emira that Top Gear had. Looking forward to seeing that one in motion.

Don't want to get too off topic here but I dislike misinformation. Li-ion batteries averaged $1200/kWh in 2010, and were down to $132/kWh by last year... An 89% decrease. That will likely drop below $100/kWh in the next year or so with Tesla mass manufacturing 4680 cells.

Depends where you live, but the electricity in my area is ~60% renewable without household solar. Li-ion batteries are also repeatedly recyclable. Unsure what you mean by abandoning fossil fuels, they're going to be around for a while. Modern electricity generation is much more environmentally friendly than pumping and refining oil. Even coal plants are cleaner than that.

Anyways, back on topic. Really hope Autocar will have a video review of the same white Emira that Top Gear had. Looking forward to seeing that one in motion.
You could have simply stated the prices changes over the last 12 years, instead of implying negative intent. Not everyone has the price of Li-ion batteries over the last 12 years right on the tip of their tongue. Last I saw, it costs something like $20k to replace a Tesla battery, which is not cheap by any means.

Not everyone lives in your area.

From what I remember reading, recycling lithium ion batteries is difficult and not cheap either.

Government and environmentalists want to outlaw ICE car production completely, and ultimately add environmental taxes to existing owners to force them to go electric, whether they really want to or not. Yes fossil fuels will still be around for awhile, but it looks like they'll get more and more expensive over time. This all depends on how things go. If there's one thing that can change government minds and change the course of popular movements, it's economics.

"Modern" electricity generation is either coal, wind or nuclear for the most part. There's environmental issues for all three. There have been improvements in pumping and refining oil over the years too. My point is there's no panacea here. The cheapest at the moment is actually fossil fuels. Battery technology has its downside, and the cost of replacements are certainly one of them.

But like you say, back on topic. Reviews are going to be very interesting.

Couldn't agree more. Who cares if some peanut in something your Aunty drives (Yaris) or a glorified washing machine (Tesla) can beat you at the lights?

That means nothing to me. It's all about the overall package and how the car looks, drives, and handles.

The Emira will be significantly faster than my 355, and I've never felt that that was not quick enough nor cared about whether someone might beat it in a traffic light drag race. I know damn well that the bloke roaring off in their POS would really rather be in the Ferrari... :cool:

I understand the people wondering why didn't Lotus put, say, the 430hp engine in given there's no real reason they couldn't. But it'll be very easy to do that kind of upgrade if you really want to.
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if it was offered as a factory supported upgrade in the future.

Back