• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Not long to wait…… Autocar drive review on March 9

This is the big problem with the electric future. Unless there's a cheaper battery technology developed, the cost of this technology is out of reach of the greater masses of customers, and it doesn't appear to be getting any cheaper. There's also the added cost of infrastructure upgrades that would be necessary to handle the load on the system that's going to increase as more people start buying and charging their cars.

So far, producing electricity isn't that green, and batteries certainly aren't. They really need to stop being so single-minded and embrace a balance, by combining the usage of electric and fossil fuels as the situation and application warrants. Each one has it's strength, and I think it's a mistake to abandon fossil fuels under the guise of electric being green and environmentally friendly, because so far, it really isn't.
This is so right. Justifying a wholesale transition to EV based on the environmental benefits is simply not accurate. At best, it’s a wash. The same is apparently true of ethanol added to gasoline. I recently read a report that CO2 emmisions for flex fuels are actually significantly higher than gasoline when you factor in the CO2 released when the soil is turned to farm the corn. But now the farmers have become dependent on the farm subsides to farm large amounts of corn for ETOH fuel additive. Really interesting. I hadn’t thought about the CO2 release from soil. We humans really are incredibly arrogant to be always thinking there’s a free lunch. I agree with Eagle7. Let the markets decide. Freedom of choice is the way to go imho.

I recently have been enjoying The Smoking Tire's "One Take" reviews where Matt Farah takes a car for an uncut 10-15 minute canyon drive and talks candidly about it. Refreshingly simple and satisfying. His PDK GT4 review has probably the best sunset driving road I've ever seen. So much so that I'm debating taking a road trip down highway 101 to Malibu to drive it myself in the Emira next year.

Hope he's on the list of journalists to review the Emira early.

Agreed! Henry did one of the first walk arounds with the Emira. Carfection's production value is incredible. Mostly looking forward to theirs and the Chris Harris review.
Definetely agree on this. Their one is my goto review from the early reviews.

This is so right. Justifying a wholesale transition to EV based on the environmental benefits is simply not accurate. At best, it’s a wash. The same is apparently true of ethanol added to gasoline. I recently read a report that CO2 emmisions for flex fuels are actually significantly higher than gasoline when you factor in the CO2 released when the soil is turned to farm the corn. But now the farmers have become dependent on the farm subsides to farm large amounts of corn for ETOH fuel additive. Really interesting. I hadn’t thought about the CO2 release from soil. We humans really are incredibly arrogant to be always thinking there’s a free lunch. I agree with Eagle7. Let the markets decide. Freedom of choice is the way to go imho.
There's also another source of emissions that's never mentioned, and it's been going on since the earth was created. It's volcanic activity. Volcanoes pump tremendous amounts of gases into the atmosphere, and always have. The earth is much stronger than environmentalists realize. After the Mt St. Helens volcano blew up, scientists were expecting it would take at least 100 years for the area around it to recover. Much to their surprise and astonishment, it recovered in about 15 years.

The whole earth is a system, and I think it's a mistake to focus on only one thing, and start making changes without taking into account the whole system and what the side-effects might be. The earth has plenty of energy, we just need to be intelligent and sensible about how we tap into it and use it.

I recently have been enjoying The Smoking Tire's "One Take" reviews where Matt Farah takes a car for an uncut 10-15 minute canyon drive and talks candidly about it. Refreshingly simple and satisfying. His PDK GT4 review has probably the best sunset driving road I've ever seen. So much so that I'm debating taking a road trip down highway 101 to Malibu to drive it myself in the Emira next year.

I just watched that video myself. I listened to it on headphones, and it sounded fantastic. The recording setup was excellent. Great review.

There's also another source of emissions that's never mentioned, and it's been going on since the earth was created. It's volcanic activity. Volcanoes pump tremendous amounts of gases into the atmosphere, and always have. The earth is much stronger than environmentalists realize. After the Mt St. Helens volcano blew up, scientists were expecting it would take at least 100 years for the area around it to recover. Much to their surprise and astonishment, it recovered in about 15 years.

The whole earth is a system, and I think it's a mistake to focus on only one thing, and start making changes without taking into account the whole system and what the side-effects might be. The earth has plenty of energy, we just need to be intelligent and sensible about how we tap into it and use it.
I was doing my best to sit this one out but I couldn't refrain any longer... :p

Volcanoes aren't brought up in climate change discussions for two reasons:
  1. There's nothing we can do about them, and
  2. They're not actually a problem.
Volcanoes have been erupting for hundreds of millions of years, and over a long period of time, the carbon that they emit simply gets re-absorbed back into the soil, the rocks, the ocean, the plants, etc., and also pulled down into the Earth's core by plate tectonic subduction. This is called the "deep carbon cycle". Point being: even though volcanic eruptions are sudden, violent events, they are actually in balance with the Earth as a whole.

The problem comes when humans arrive on the scene and start digging up fossilized trees from hundreds of millions of years ago and burning them for energy. The rate at which all eight billion of us are doing this globally is rapidly upsetting the inputs of an equation that had been in balance for billions of years.

Also, just in terms of numbers, volcanoes emit approximately 0.3 billion tonnes of CO2 per year, globally, whereas humans emit 35 billion tonnes of CO2 per year, or roughly 117x as much as volcanoes. (link)

Gasoline-powered vehicles are bad for the environment. So are electric vehicles. So is heating your home, so is growing oil palms for hand soap, so is buying food from the grocery store, so is building a new house to live in, so is building hydroelectric dams, and so is using the internet. Literally everything that makes up our current comfortable "western lifestyle" actually harms the planet in some way. This truth is so uncomfortable for most people to hear that they will more often than not just reject it altogether and reply with some witty-sounding quip that they heard on a radio talk show one time.

If we really want to get serious about helping the planet then we need to start talking about reducing our global human population—through completely ethical, voluntary means, of course! (Some people are so foreign to the topic of human overpopulation that they automatically think that you're advocating for genocide or forced-sterilization)

But yet again, having children is such a fundamental part of most peoples' minds and life experience that they would rather simply ignore any suggestion that the Earth is overpopulated or that our lifestyles are fundamentally unsustainable. But that doesn't change the fact that having one fewer child is 24x better for the environment than never driving a car again. (link)

It's a fundamental paradigm shift that most people aren't willing to let themselves have.

Volcanoes have been erupting for hundreds of millions of years, and over a long period of time, the carbon that they emit simply gets re-absorbed back into the soil, the rocks, the ocean, the plants, etc., and also pulled down into the Earth's core by plate tectonic subduction. This is called the "deep carbon cycle". Point being: even though volcanic eruptions are sudden, violent events, they are actually in balance with the Earth as a whole.

The problem comes when humans arrive on the scene and start digging up fossilized trees from hundreds of millions of years ago and burning them for energy. The rate at which all eight billion of us are doing this globally is rapidly upsetting the inputs of an equation that had been in balance for billions of years.

Also, just in terms of numbers, volcanoes emit approximately 0.3 billion tonnes of CO2 per year, globally, whereas humans emit 35 billion tonnes of CO2 per year, or roughly 117x as much as volcanoes. (link)

Gasoline-powered vehicles are bad for the environment. So are electric vehicles. So is heating your home, so is growing oil palms for hand soap, so is buying food from the grocery store, so is building a new house to live in, so is building hydroelectric dams, and so is using the internet. Literally everything that makes up our current comfortable "western lifestyle" actually harms the planet in some way. This truth is so uncomfortable for most people to hear that they will more often than not just reject it altogether and reply with some witty-sounding quip that they heard on a radio talk show one time.

If we really want to get serious about helping the planet then we need to start talking about reducing our global human population—through completely ethical, voluntary means, of course! (Some people are so foreign to the topic of human overpopulation that they automatically think that you're advocating for genocide or forced-sterilization)

But yet again, having children is such a fundamental part of most peoples' minds and life experience that they would rather simply ignore any suggestion that the Earth is overpopulated or that our lifestyles are fundamentally unsustainable. But that doesn't change the fact that having one fewer child is 24x better for the environment than never driving a car again. (link)

It's a fundamental paradigm shift that most people aren't willing to let themselves have.
Well, abstinence just isn't going to work.
I'm a big fan of reforestation.

Climate change discussions aside (I agree with most posts above, just don't feel the need to further discuss here) waiting for proper reviews after so long has occupied my thoughts entirely too much this weekend. Really hoping Tom's speculation of the embargo lifting Tuesday are true. I'm embarrassingly excited to absorb as much Emira stuff as possible soon.

I think I've watched Harry's Garage Emira video 5-6 times at this point.

Climate change discussions aside (I agree with most posts above, just don't feel the need to further discuss here) waiting for proper reviews after so long has occupied my thoughts entirely too much this weekend. Really hoping Tom's speculation of the embargo lifting Tuesday are true. I'm embarrassingly excited to absorb as much Emira stuff as possible soon.

I think I've watched Harry's Garage Emira video 5-6 times at this point.
Yes, also embarrassingly excited! I guess we've all got a lot of skin in the game: Will the gamble pay off? Have we all backed a winner?

We'll soon know...

You rock; I enjoyed reading this. We didn't have kids, so I am going to buy 24 cars and not feel bad 😝!

I don’t think the Emira will touch the GTS/GT4, but it can be a Cayman competitor.

This is bad; I'm at the point where I simply don't believe in promised timelines for anything anymore.

My girlfriend said we have a reservation at a restaurant we have been wanting to try and I accidentally blurted out:

"What's the ADM on that?"

"Can we have the 7PM reservation in writing?"

"Will they push us out for Q4 2023 delivery?"

"Do they have any shortages on steak?"

She had no clue WTF I was on about, nodded, gave me her dazzling smile and said "You've been on car forums again, haven't you."

Its very close to GT4 on paper... I think thats actually the closest competitor IMO.. Thats certainly the other car i was considering buying instead.
Same. The GT4 is dated on the interior (especially the 981), though it does have better build quality (still no Android Auto support 😡). But who knows... Maybe the new Emira will have stellar build quality! Hopefully at least. The Emira is absolutely stunning and makes the GT4 look a little bland. Enthusiasts can spot the subtle differences between a base Cayman and a GT4 (or even between a 911 and a 2RS), but they all look the same to the average person. The Emira is eye catching and has a great presence in person!

Its very close to GT4 on paper... I think thats actually the closest competitor IMO.. Thats certainly the other car i was considering buying instead.
It’s really not even in the same price range when you look at the base edition. The first edition is but that’s not an apples to apples comparison. I’ve seen this talked about in the “what other car” thread and I tend to agree with the posts there. The 4 liter, naturally aspirated engine, lighter curb weight and PDK transmission are all major winners of the GT4. The GT4 also has the GT3 suspension, while the GTS and other caymans are on struts (so I believe the Emira wins against gts and below). Just my thoughts, but to reiterate, they aren’t even in the same price range outside of the First Edition. $74k for Emira vs $101k for the GT4 starting prices

Same. The GT4 is dated on the interior (especially the 981), though it does have better build quality (still no Android Auto support 😡). But who knows... Maybe the new Emira will have stellar build quality! Hopefully at least. The Emira is absolutely stunning and makes the GT4 look a little bland. Enthusiasts can spot the subtle differences between a base Cayman and a GT4 (or even between a 911 and a 2RS), but they all look the same to the average person. The Emira is eye catching and has a great presence in person!
The 718 series actually does have Android Auto support but it is disabled by Porsche because Google wanted to access to personal user data or something. You can unlock it with a tune. But you are right, it isn’t “available” from the factory, even though the software is included.

It’s really not even in the same price range when you look at the base edition. The first edition is but that’s not an apples to apples comparison. I’ve seen this talked about in the “what other car” thread and I tend to agree with the posts there. The 4 liter, naturally aspirated engine, lighter curb weight and PDK transmission are all major winners of the GT4. The GT4 also has the GT3 suspension, while the GTS and other caymans are on struts (so I believe the Emira wins against gts and below). Just my thoughts, but to reiterate, they aren’t even in the same price range outside of the First Edition. $74k for Emira vs $101k for the GT4 starting prices

Yep some good points for sure. Ultimately when I think about the Emira or look at pictures or read forums etc I get properly excited like a little kid. Haven't had that feeling about a car in ages and I just don't get that from the Porsche brand anymore... I've spoken about this in some other threads but my dream car was always the F355 and this is maybe the first car I've ever seen that I prefer in almost every way and is actually within my budget.. They have a lot of similarities even performance.. F355 has better sound of course but I've fallen totally head over heels for the Emira.. Lotus got me good :)

Back