• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Painting the shifter knob markings

Jjrho

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What is the best way to paint the knob in red or black color?

Colored nail polish or ? N if I try to clean up the paint that gets out of the indented letters with ,say alcohol pad, etc...will it smear all over the textured surface of the knob ?!??

Please advise...

Attachments

• 20240727_142824.jpg
    20240727_142824.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 55
What is the best way to paint the knob in red or black color?

Colored nail polish or ? N if I try to clean up the paint that gets out of the indented letters with ,say alcohol pad, etc...will it smear all over the textured surface of the knob ?!??

Please advise...

It's easy. But you want to use enamel paint. I got mine from Michael's along with a tiny brush. Do the black parts first, let dry, and then the color parts so the black doesn't accidentally get mixed in. I use a tissue and some alcohol to gently wipe the excess. You'll want to do multiple coats to fill the grooves.

I actually just redid mine a couple days ago...

1000025498.jpg

1000025732.jpg

Dayum.. that looks amazing.... I just want to do single color.... probably in red or yellow.... so, Michael's hobby store has the enamel paint n brush ??. Do u need to redo?1?? I mean, once it's done, it shouldn't come off right? It's in a recessed area.... ?!?

Tnx for your advice

One more thing... my interior is black leather but they just used white stitching.... they never gave me option of using different colored stitching.... yours in green...? Did u color the stitches?? What pen did u use for that ??? Looks nice

Also. .. I want to paint the center marker on the leather steering wheel.... what's the best paint to use for that ?

Last edited:
It's easy. But you want to use enamel paint. I got mine from Michael's along with a tiny brush. Do the black parts first, let dry, and then the color parts so the black doesn't accidentally get mixed in. I use a tissue and some alcohol to gently wipe the excess. You'll want to do multiple coats to fill the grooves.

I actually just redid mine a couple days ago...

View attachment 48426

View attachment 48427
Wow that is really awesome!! I think I’ll do the same but R and the Line in yellow like my yellow brakes. Very cool!

This is the enamel paint I used. The pack ended up being cheaper than individual bottles of paint and thinner. The brush that comes with it is not thin enough though.

Unless you have a minute brush and surgeon hands it will smear but it’s easy to clean with thinner or alcohol using a paper towel.

For after care I use a wet soft brush. Paint won’t peel unless you are actually trying to remove it.

1722124801100.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the enamel paint I used. The pack ended up being cheaper than individual bottles of paint and thinner. The brush that comes with it is not thin enough though.

Unless you have a minute brush and surgeon hands it will smear but it’s easy to clean with thinner or alcohol using a paper towel.

For after care I use a wet soft brush. Paint won’t peel unless you are actually trying to remove it.

View attachment 48433
I’d like to this as well, maybe in reverse with the numbers in yellow. I think I’ll get someone more arty than me to do I or I’m sure I’ll bodge it.

Dayum.. that looks amazing.... I just want to do single color.... probably in red or yellow.... so, Michael's hobby store has the enamel paint n brush ??. Do u need to redo?1?? I mean, once it's done, it shouldn't come off right? It's in a recessed area.... ?!?

Tnx for your advice

I had to redo mine after a year. It's recessed but kinda rough so you'll naturally get dirt, sweat, and dead skin in there. If you can fill the paint up high enough it should last longer. But you'll need to be patient and let the coats dry fully before reapplying.

One more thing... my interior is black leather but they just used white stitching.... they never gave me option of using different colored stitching.... yours in green...? Did u color the stitches?? What pen did u use for that ??? Looks nice

Also. .. I want to paint the center marker on the leather steering wheel.... what's the best paint to use for that ?

This is in my Evora GT! Bespoke Verde Ithaca stitching from the factory. Same exact shift knob as the Emira though! Looks 100% better painted. 👽

1000025745.jpg

DSC08113.jpg

I'll be painting my buddy's Magma Emira knob soon. Will post pics.

I was thinking about doing this.

I have air-cure (as opposed to oven-cure) Cerakote in black and red, among other colors. Cerakote is used primarily for firearms and is very long-lasting and heat resistant.

Mateo

I was thinking about doing this.

I have air-cure (as opposed to oven-cure) Cerakote in black and red, among other colors. Cerakote is used primarily for firearms and is very long-lasting and heat resistant.

Mateo
Oooh...sounds interesting.... have cerakoted firearms.... good stuff...

Am thinking maybe putting a clear enamel on top of the coloring.... just to fill in the depression, that way less to fill up with dirt n grime , less need to reapply, etc...

What has anyone used to soften or deburr the edges?

Oooh...sounds interesting.... have cerakoted firearms.... good stuff...

Am thinking maybe putting a clear enamel on top of the coloring.... just to fill in the depression, that way less to fill up with dirt n grime , less need to reapply, etc...
There's clear air-cure Cerakote!

Mateo

Actually, a gap-filling CA glue (Superglue) would be better for permanently filling in the numbers with clear.

M