• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Share your information about Emira i4 delivery

7月18日から、大阪でi4の試乗が可能となるようです。来週末、大阪に行きます。
It seems that we will be able to test drive the i4 in Osaka from July 18th. I'm going to Osaka next weekend.
やっと、ですね!そのまま乗って帰らないように!
Sorry I can't meet up with you this time ;) Hope the test drive answers all your questions!

My emira arrived at Yokohama on 7/8. I hoped this would have been delivered in Aug, but it seems difficult due to bottle neck at PDI. Most probably this car will come to me in early Sep.

I had eventually a chance to drive 2.0(AMG) engine during last weekend. My 1st impression is "quite different" from V6. But I haven't driven V6AT around a year, that's why I may need to drive V6AT agian for fair comparison.
Anyway, my Emira would be delivered in early Sep so far although the one has already arrived in Japan...

Last edited:
3 HOURS EMIRA 2.0 TURBO FE TEST DRIVE BY VIRTUALMACHO AND TOKION, Monday 29, 2024

Tokion had booked a test drive at LCI Harajuku showroom from 1 PM. Virtualmacho (who already has received his Supercharged V6 3.5 joined) and off we went heading for the nearest expressway (kousokudoro) entrance with Tokion behind the wheel. Heading toward Hatchioji and further along Chuo Expressway (kousoku) and turning into the Ken-o-do Expressway heading toward the Sayama parking area in Saitama. After something “sweet & cooling” (see photo) we changed seats, and Virtualmacho had his turn bringing the Emira 2.0 Turbo into the Kan-Etsu Expressway back toward the center of Tokyo and after the expressway exit onto regular streets toward Shinjuku; another turn into Meiji street heading back toward Harajuku, including a spurt up Omotesando toward the station, and a 180 degree U-turn, then back to Meiji street and eventually into the LCI Harajuku showroom parking. A full 3-hours run in the latest 2.0 Turbo in beautiful Verdant green (coincidentally same color combo as both Virtualmacho’s Emira, and also the upcoming Emira 2.0 Turbo that will belong to Tokion.)

The test car was equipped with SPORTS SUSPENSION and Michelin Cup-2 tires.

IMEPRESSIONS BY TOKION:
(I will ask Virtualmacho to make his own post with his own impressions)

The 2.0 Turbo (First Edition) is extremely quick, agile and fun to drive. It is also extremely sharp, and it provides an excellent contact and feedback with the road surface and through curves. I started out in TOUR mode (that regulates engine response and gearshifts, while the suspension will always remain as the particular car has been specced).

In this Monday, the traffic heading out west through the Chuo Expressway was fairly heavy with traffic congestion, but not enough to stop us completely. As the traffic started flowing better towards Chōfu and on towards Hachioji, I switched to SPORT mode that definetely provided more excitement from the engine and quicker shifts.

From the start we had noticed that despite that there is no clutch; and the gears will “row themselves” with this (AMG) Dual Clutch Transmission, the main display will never display a “D” like in a torque converter automatic. (Some months earlier I actually borrowed an Emira V6 Automatic from LCI and did the exact same trip). Here in the DCT based Emira, the display always show the excactly gear that is selected (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 - or R). Those who have studied about how a DCT works will know that it selects exact physical gears through two regular clutches of similar design to those in a manual transmission; and there is no “torque converter”) For this reason, the gear changes are firm and exact. Another observation is that the gear paddles on the steering wheel can be freely operated by the driver whenever he/she wishes for a downshift or an upshift. This remains fully integrated with the automated action. It quickly feels extremely natural to drive with a combination of automated and manually induced shifts.

Regarding the sound of the 2.0 Turbo. We started out with side windows open, and it became very apparent that this is a turbo engine (whoosh), but at lower RPM it is not too loud and never annoying. Later, on the expressway, with widows closed, we got a feel for the “enclosed sound” in the car’s interior. Again we had a hint of “turbo-intonation”, but mostly a capable, deep, and strong feeling tune of the engine itself. I think Virtualmacho as an Emira V6 Supercharged owner will have more to say about this subject. But we agreed that the 2.0 Turbo sounds satisfying in its own right.

To try out the Emira audio system I had prepared a USB thumb drive with MP3 files. Formatting was exFAT. Virtualmacho operated the media-system and found the right settings to make things work. At one point the USB drive overrode the hard wire connected mobile phone (my iPhone) that we used for navigation. But by resetting and altering settings, we managed to make things stable. We did get to check the sound quality of the audio system; and the verdict is that the sound quality is not as bad as I had feared (and experienced in an earlier test drive), but it is kind of “mediocre” and “so-so”. Also, this brand new car had only 500 km on the odometer, so a proper “running-in” of the audio system may provide some improvement. My conclusion is that the audio system is not a major feature of this sportscar, and also that there is room for “third-party-improvement”.

One additional observation is that the obstacle detection system (with red lights and a buzzer) was over active at the front left fender, going off frequently even when there was no obstacle in sight. Virtualmacho confirmed this is also happening in his own Emira V6 Supercharged.

To round off my driving impression. This Emira 2.0 Turbo FE with DCT gear and sports suspension and Michelin Cup-2 tires was a far more agile and direct feeling sportscar than the Emira V6 Supercharged automatic (touring suspension) that I drove the identical 3-hour course a few months earlier. The car feels pretty much as I have been hoping for during my 3 years wait. It makes me happy and I am satisfied❣️😇

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4814.jpeg
    IMG_4814.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4813.jpeg
    IMG_4813.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4810.jpeg
    IMG_4810.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4809.jpeg
    IMG_4809.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20240729_062336581.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20240729_062336581.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
3 HOURS EMIRA 2.0 TURBO FE TEST DRIVE BY VIRTUALMACHO AND TOKION, Monday 29, 2024

Tokion had booked a test drive at LCI Harajuku showroom from 1 PM. Virtualmacho (who already has received his Supercharged V6 3.5 joined) and off we went heading for the nearest expressway (kousokudoro) entrance with Tokion behind the wheel. Heading toward Hatchioji and further along Chuo Expressway (kousoku) and turning into the Ken-o-do Expressway heading toward the Sayama parking area in Saitama. After something “sweet & cooling” (see photo) we changed seats, and Virtualmacho had his turn bringing the Emira 2.0 Turbo into the Kan-Etsu Expressway back toward the center of Tokyo and after the expressway exit onto regular streets toward Shinjuku; another turn into Meiji street heading back toward Harajuku, including a spurt up Omotesando toward the station, and a 180 degree U-turn, then back to Meiji street and eventually into the LCI Harajuku showroom parking. A full 3-hours run in the latest 2.0 Turbo in beautiful Verdant green (coincidentally same color combo as both Virtualmacho’s Emira, and also the upcoming Emira 2.0 Turbo that will belong to Tokion.)

IMEPRESSIONS BY TOKION:

The 2.0 Turbo (First Edition) is extremely quick, agile and fun to drive. It is also extremely sharp, and it provides an excellent contact and feedback with the road surface and through curves. I started out in TOUR mode (that regulates engine response and gearshifts, while the suspension will always remain as the particular car has been specced).

In this Monday, the traffic heading out west through the Chuo Expressway was fairly heavy with traffic congestion, but not enough to stop us completely. As the traffic started flowing better towards Chōfu and on towards Hachioji, I switched to SPORT mode that definetely provided more excitement from the engine and quicker shifts.

From the start we had noticed that despite that there is no clutch; and the gears will “row themselves” with this (AMG) Dual Clutch Transmission, the main display will never display a “D” like in a torque converter automatic. (Some months earlier I actually borrowed an Emira V6 Automatic from LCI and did the exact same trip). Here in the DCT based Emira, the display always show the excactly gear that is selected (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 - or R). Those who have studied about how a DCT works will know that it selects exact physical gears through two regular clutches of similar design to those in a manual transmission; and there is no “torque converter”) For this reason, the gear changes are firm and exact. Another observation is that the gear paddles on the steering wheel can be freely operated by the driver whenever he/she wishes for a downshift or an upshift. This remains fully integrated with the automated action. It quickly feels extremely natural to drive with a combination of automated and manually induced shifts.

Regarding the sound of the 2.0 Turbo. We started out with side windows open, and it became very apparent that this is a turbo engine (whoosh), but at lower RPM it is not too loud and never annoying. Later, on the expressway, with widows closed, we got a feel for the “enclosed sound” in the car’s interior. Again we had a hint of “turbo-intonation”, but mostly a capable, deep, and strong feeling tune of the engine itself. I think Virtualmacho as an Emira V6 Supercharged owner will have more to say about this subject. But we agreed that the 2.0 Turbo sounds satisfying in its own right.

To try out the Emira audio system I had prepared a USB thumb drive with MP3 files. Formatting was exFAT. Virtualmacho operated the media-system and found the right settings to make things work. At one point the USB drive overrode the hard wire connected mobile phone (my iPhone) that we used for navigation. But by resetting and altering settings, we managed to make things stable. We did get to check the sound quality of the audio system; and the verdict is that the sound quality is not as bad as I had feared (and experienced in an earlier test drive), but it is kind of “mediocre” and “so-so”. Also, this brand new car had only 500 km on the odometer, so a proper “running-in” of the audio system may provide some improvement. My conclusion is that the audio system is not a major feature of this sportscar, and also that there is room for “third-party-improvement”.

One additional observation is that the obstacle detection system (with red lights and a buzzer) was over active at the front left fender, going off frequently even when there was no obstacle in sight. Virtualmacho confirmed this is also happening in his own Emira V6 Supercharged.

To round off my driving impression. This Emira 2.0 Turbo FE with DCT gear and sports suspension and Michelin Cup-2 tires was a far more agile and direct feeling sportscar than the Emira V6 Supercharged automatic that I drove the identical 3-hour course a few months earlier. The car feels pretty much as I have been hoping for during my 3 years wait. It makes me happy and I am satisfied❣️😇
Finally, an objective and thoughtful review of the Turbo 4. Can't wait to read Virtualmacho's review. Thanks to you both.

IMEPRESSIONS BY TOKION:

To round off my driving impression. This Emira 2.0 Turbo FE with DCT gear and sports suspension and Michelin Cup-2 tires was a far more agile and direct feeling sportscar than the Emira V6 Supercharged automatic (touring suspension) that I drove the identical 3-hour course a few months earlier. The car feels pretty much as I have been hoping for during my 3 years wait. It makes me happy and I am satisfied❣️😇
Good to hear the car has lived up to your expectations, over 3000 miles in and mine is still putting a smile on my face every time I drive it (and long may that continue!). Hope you don't have to wait too long until your own car is with you.

IMEPRESSIONS BY TOKION:

It is great to hear your thorough driving impression. I hope we will meet in Oct and exchange some more info in person.

IMEPRESSIONS BY TOKION:

Thanks for the great write up @Tokion, been looking forward to hearing your thoughts and am happy (relieved?) to see that it has lived up to your expectations! The countdown to delivery begins…

Before I add my thoughts to @Tokion 's writeup, some background:
  • I daily a V6 manual Emira with Sports suspension and Cup2s in the city
  • have not had a chance to drive a V6 auto Emira yet, so cannot compare
  • not an audiophile

Summary: It's a nice car - different from a V6, but in no ways inferior nor superior.

I am a satisfied owner of a V6, and have nothing to add on the exterior, interior, audio, and handling of the car. The auto makes it easier to tolerate traffic, which is a positive aspect, especially in the city. There was no "D" position (shows how much I know about these things) but it shifts faster than I can. I don't need, nor do I expect anything more. This is a nice car to drive.

You can hear the turbo with the windows up or down. Noise inside the cabin was not too loud, but you can hear the turbo up to about 3,000 rpm and then it gets lost in the exhaust note. YMMV depending on the pavement and tires, as we all know this car picks up quite a bit of road noise.

The exhaust sounds like what it is, an inline 4 cylinder engine. It was a little louder than I what had expected, with a rumble. It's a nice deep rumble, not obnoxious but definately present. The V6 growls, the i4 rumbles. For folks who want to tune the sound, there are aftermarket titanium cat-backs on the market. I wonder what a steel muffler would sound like? Or aluminum? We only drove the car in the city and on the expressway - have yet to hear it at higher rpms on the twisties.

I have grown accustomed to the "click once to initiate selection, then click again to select" operation on the drive mode selector, so had no problem getting used to the gear selector that everyone is complaining about. It's an auto, so I wasn't really thinking of anything other than "forward" and "reverse", and the paddles are adequate for shifting up/down.

Oh, and the demo car had mesh on the side intakes. Perhaps the newer V6 cars do too?
PXL_20240729_040519798.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Before I add my thoughts to @Tokion 's writeup, some background:
  • I daily a V6 manual Emira with Sports suspension and Cup2s in the city
  • have not had a chance to drive a V6 auto Emira yet, so cannot compare
  • not an audiophile

Summary: It's a nice car - different from a V6, but in no ways inferior nor superior.

I am a satisfied owner of a V6, and have nothing to add on the exterior, interior, audio, and handling of the car. The auto makes it easier to tolerate traffic, which is a positive aspect, especially in the city. There was no "D" position (shows how much I know about these things) but it shifts faster than I can. I don't need, nor do I expect anything more. This is a nice car to drive.

You can hear the turbo with the windows up or down. Noise inside the cabin was not too loud, but you can hear the turbo up to about 3,000 rpm and then it gets lost in the exhaust note. YMMV depending on the pavement and tires, as we all know this car picks up quite a bit of road noise.

The exhaust sounds like what it is, an inline 4 cylinder engine. It was a little louder than I what had expected, with a rumble. It's a nice deep rumble, not obnoxious but definately present. The V6 growls, the i4 rumbles. For folks who want to tune the sound, there are aftermarket titanium cat-backs on the market. I wonder what a steel muffler would sound like? Or aluminum? We only drove the car in the city and on the expressway - have yet to hear it at higher rpms on the twisties.

I have grown accustomed to the "click once to initiate selection, then click again to select" operation on the drive mode selector, so had no problem getting used to the gear selector that everyone is complaining about. It's an auto, so I wasn't really thinking of anything other than "forward" and "reverse", and the paddles are adequate for shifting up/down.

Oh, and the demo car had mesh on the side intakes. Perhaps the newer V6 cars do too?
View attachment 48651
トキオンさん、バーチャルマッチョさん、i4の詳細な情報、ありがとうございます。
私は、明日、大阪で試乗する予定です。
Thank you Tokion and Virtual Macho for the detailed information about the i4.
I'm planning on test driving it in Osaka tomorrow.

I think I crossed paths with the Lotus Tokyo demo car (Dark Verdant with number plate "2000") around 9 pm. Any one of you?
さっき21時頃に山手通りの大崎警察署の前で "2000" のエミーラとすれ違いしました。どなかたかな。

Taking this opporturnity to thank everyone who has responded positively to the “reviews” by myself (Tokion), an upcoming Emira 2.0 Turbo FE DCT, sports suspension owner, and Virtualmacho, who already owns and daily drives his fantastic Emira V6 Supercharged manual, sports suspension sportscar.

Obviously in our reviews, we clearly take each of our roles as defenders of either the 2.0, 4-cylinder, AMG engine with DCT gear system, or the 3.5, 6-cylinder, Toyota engine with manual transmission.

Even though my own choice and preference was the 2.0 Turbo with DCT and sports suspension; my second choice would have been the 3.5 Supercharged with manual transmission and sports suspension. I have owned and driven several manual transmission sportscars in my lifetime.

My comments in my review comparing the V6 Supercharged automatic Emira with touring suspension to the 2.0 Turbo with sports suspension, personally strongly preferring the latter, was a result of the difference between a very direct feeling Dual Clutch transmission and the traditional Toyota Aisin torque converter automatic transmission,, and also the difference between the sports suspension on the 2.0 Turbo and the touring suspension on the V6 Supercharged automatic car. Both the feeling of the less direct feeling of the torque converter transmission and the noticeably softer feeling of the touring suspension; neither of which are my personal preferences. However, I am strongly in favor of the exciting V6 Supercharged engine, that is as analog as it gets, and I believe I would very much enjoy to drive the V6 Supercharged with manual transmission and sports suspension.

So, I am taking this as an opportunity to make this clear; despite the fact that I still haven’t driven this particular version of the Emira 😜😅😇

I strongly agree with Virtualmacho’s view that neither version is inferior nor superior.

It is also nice to see and hear that more prospective (and current) Emira owners in Japan (thanks to LCI) now have the chance to test drive either version and compare for themselves.

Attachments

• PXL_20240729_050135668.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20240729_050135668.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240729_082214768.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20240729_082214768.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240729_040654389.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20240729_040654389.RAW-01.COVER_Original.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4827.jpeg
    IMG_4827.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 19
今日、大阪でi4を試乗しました。大阪市内は、混んでいて、加速する機会が少なかったのですが、加速時のターボ音とエンジン音は、かなり気に入りました。エアーインテークのメッシュを確認できました。V6も、i4も、それぞれ良い味があり、お金があれば、2台欲しいところです。ロータス大阪には、納車待ちのビビアンレッドが1台ありました。
I test drove the i4 in Osaka today. The roads in Osaka were crowded and I didn't have many opportunities to accelerate, but I really liked the sound of turbo and engine when accelerating. I was able to see the mesh of the air intake. Both the V6 and the i4 have their own good tastes, and if I had the money, I would like to have two of them. Lotus Osaka had one Vivid Red waiting for delivery.

Attachments

• DSC_0587.JPG
    DSC_0587.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
今日、大阪でi4を試乗しました。大阪市内は、混んでいて、加速する機会が少なかったのですが、加速時のターボ音とエンジン音は、かなり気に入りました。エアーインテークのメッシュを確認できました。V6も、i4も、それぞれ良い味があり、お金があれば、2台欲しいところです。ロータス大阪には、納車待ちのビビアンレッドが1台ありました。
I test drove the i4 in Osaka today. The roads in Osaka were crowded and I didn't have many opportunities to accelerate, but I really liked the sound of turbo and engine when accelerating. I was able to see the mesh of the air intake. Both the V6 and the i4 have their own good tastes, and if I had the money, I would like to have two of them. Lotus Osaka had one Vivian Red waiting for delivery.

Nice to hear you got to drive the “i4” (2.0 Turbo). Yes, in urban areas like Tokyo and Osaka the traffic congestion makes it extremely difficult to drive a sportscar as it is intended to be driven. At least, after you take delivery, you will be more in control over when and where you drive your own car on less crowded roads.

I completely agree with you that the ideal solution would be to own one each V6 Supercharged manual, and one 2.0 Turbo DCT (“i4”) - in my case both with Sports Suspension.

The red color you speak about is called “Vivid Red” in English. Probably the closest to “Ferrari Red”. Which color have you ordered⁉️

Nice to hear you got to drive the “i4” (2.0 Turbo). Yes, in urban areas like Tokyo and Osaka the traffic congestion makes it extremely difficult to drive a sportscar as it is intended to be driven. At least, after you take delivery, you will be more in control over when and where you drive your own car on less crowded roads.

I completely agree with you that the ideal solution would be to own one each V6 Supercharged manual, and one 2.0 Turbo DCT (“i4”) - in my case both with Sports Suspension.

The red color you speak about is called “Vivid Red” in English. Probably the closest to “Ferrari Red”. Which color have you ordered⁉️
私は、マグマレッドをオーダーしました。オーダー後に、ビビッド レッドがオーダー可能になりましたが、私は、色を変更しませんでした。いろいろな光の下で、色調が変化するマグマレッドが好きです。大阪には、ビビアンレッドのi4と、マグマレッドのV6があったので、比較もできました。

I ordered Magma Red. After I placed the order, Vivid Red became available, but I didn't change the color. I like Magma Red.
Because it changes color under different lights.
In Osaka, there was a Vivian Red i4 and a Magma Red V6 available, so I was able to compare them.

"Vivian" was my mistranslation. lol

Attachments

• DSC_0588.JPG
    DSC_0588.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0585.JPG
    DSC_0585.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 14