• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

So disappointed with Zinc grey ...

Just4emira

Reaction score
When I locked in my spec, they didn't have the color sample available at the dealership.

The zinc grey in the configurator looks so much darker online than it is when it's seen in person...

When I saw the car in person for the first time yesterday, sceneca blue looked very stunning , yellow and red also looked great.

Out of all the 13 colors emira got, zinc grey really disappointed me.

My delivery will be in November, now I'm thinking that I don't want the car . Because I don't like the color.
I now need to choose stick with Zinc grey emira ...or Electre.

Yesterday, I sat in the dealer's Electre to our way to the garage to see the emira, I am fascinated by the Electre.

Help me out, all the emira lovers.
Should I stick with Zinc grey or buy the Electre?

Thanks alot.

When I locked in my spec, they didn't have the color sample available at the dealership.

The zinc grey in the configurator looks so much darker online than it is when it's seen in person...

When I saw the car in person for the first time yesterday, sceneca blue looked very stunning , yellow and red also looked great.

My delivery will be in November, now I'm thinking that I don't want the car . Because I don't like the color.

Yesterday, I sat in the dealer's Electre to our way to the garage to see the emira, I am fascinated by the Electre.

Thanks alot.
I agree about zinc gray, it’s bad in person. It’s too light and has an almost blue hue to it, and it looks straight up like primer.

Nimbus looks flat as soon as you get it out of the sun - almost looks ZG here in top pic - but still such pretty lines. Everyone raved about Nimbus (which I ordered) but after living with it a little disappointed at how bronze it looks from a distance when not in bright sun (bottom pic). My daughter thought it was light brown :-( I may have picked Osmium or White had I had the opportunity to see all 3 next to each other. Hang in there - it will grow on you as your will fall in love at first driveView attachment 48151View attachment 48152
Interesting experience with Nimbus. I haven't regretted it once and get so many compliments on it virtually non-stop at C&C events. Nimbus is such a deep and dynamic color. It really stands apart from almost all other silver-esque cars on the road.

I get that color is a personal choice so I respect your opinion, but mine is quite different after 4 months with it. For me, if I had a second choice, I'd seriously consider that Atlantic Blue as it's just gorgeous on the Emira.

But back to the OP, you could just wrap it or cancel and get a new allocation. The comparison between the Emira and Eletre doesn't make any sense IMHO. I haven't driven the Eletre, but I would imagine in comparison to the Emira, it will be as soulless as any other EV I have driven.

Interesting experience with Nimbus. I haven't regretted it once and get so many compliments on it virtually non-stop at C&C events. Nimbus is such a deep and dynamic color. It really stands apart from almost all other silver-esque cars on the road.

I get that color is a personal choice so I respect your opinion, but mine is quite different after 4 months with it. For me, if I had a second choice, I'd seriously consider that Atlantic Blue as it's just gorgeous on the Emira.

But back to the OP, you could just wrap it or cancel and get a new allocation. The comparison between the Emira and Eletre doesn't make any sense IMHO. I haven't driven the Eletre, but I would imagine in comparison to the Emira, it will be as soulless as any other EV I have driven.
Getting another allocation, it means I need to wait another year maybe :cry:. If it doesn't take too long to get another allocation, I would choose white/blue /yellow this time.
But thanks for all the replies, now I don't even think about the Electre no more.

Stick with it!

IMO of all the colors, Zinc Grey is the best 'base' platform. There's lot of things you can't really do or get away with in the other colors that you can with Zinc IMO.

I'm a bit biased...
PXL_20240706_011225543.jpg

Personally, I intend to eventually look into some side-skirts which I will likely do vinyl yellow edging on.

But this kind of grey car is celebrated in other euro cars.

Artic Grey Porsche
1721707710723.png

Or the Warmer Tone of Fashion Grey which is exclusive to the GT3
1721707830890.png

Or a lighter Grey seen in Chalk White
1721707875008.png

Or you go back to the O.G. for these kinds of colors and you go to Nardo Grey with Audi
1721707920877.png

Perhaps you were hoping for a color a bit more like Nardo on the darker side. But none of these colors "dazzle" in the light. But they have their own no-nonsense a bit intimidating presence.

Stick with it!

IMO of all the colors, Zinc Grey is the best 'base' platform. There's lot of things you can't really do or get away with in the other colors that you can with Zinc IMO.

I'm a bit biased... View attachment 48165

Personally, I intend to eventually look into some side-skirts which I will likely do vinyl yellow edging on.

But this kind of grey car is celebrated in other euro cars.

Artic Grey Porsche
View attachment 48166

Or the Warmer Tone of Fashion Grey which is exclusive to the GT3
View attachment 48167

Or a lighter Grey seen in Chalk White
View attachment 48168

Or you go back to the O.G. for these kinds of colors and you go to Nardo Grey with Audi
View attachment 48169

Perhaps you were hoping for a color a bit more like Nardo on the darker side. But none of these colors "dazzle" in the light. But they have their own no-nonsense a bit intimidating presence.
I was expecting something similar to this when I played on it online using the configurator. Maybe not this dark, but something close to or at least a bit darker grey

Attachments

• emira matte grey.png
    emira matte grey.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 55
Yeah, it definitely is not that dark. I've honestly never trusted any online configurator by any manufacturer. The Emira doesn't even come in any 'matte' colors that I know and definitely seems to be playing hell with his light modeling.

Overall I would say, I am curious about what the car will look like in something like Xpel Stealth Satin. I'm sure it's more impactful of a change on a metallic color, but I do think it could look good.

Here's what it does to a metallic grey. The rear quarter has been covered, but the door has not.
1721708900653.png

Only non-metallic grey I could find in a brief search.
1721708950850.png

Thanks alot.
Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the color.

Although I haven't yet witnessed the color live myself, there's a vlog where an employee at Lotus of Naples compares the different colors on all the Emiras lined up outside their dealership and, quite interestingly, his favorite color was precisely Zinc Grey. In case you haven't see that vlog, it was uploaded 5 months ago and it's on YouTube titled "Lotus Emira Color Selection and Options Walkthrough".

Admittedly, Zinc Grey is not my favorite color, but it's also not close to being the worse option, in my view. I, for one, do not like flashy bright colors but I also don't think the very dark ones help to accentuate the particularly beautiful angles and curves of the Emira. Zinc Grey is neither flashy bright nor is it, by any stretch, dark. I can perfectly understand others having preferences for colors at all ends of the spectrum and having a diverse palette out there makes everything so much more colorful and fun. Conversely, it would be pretty boring if we all had our Emiras in the same color.

As for what I'd do in your particular case; I would either stick to the Zinc Grey or, if your dislike of the color is worth foregoing your deposit, just buy another Emira in a color you already have seen live and really like. I can very appreciate the lack of appeal going back on the waiting list, but there are a number of fairly new Emiras for sale these days on the secondary market. If, on the other hand, you were to stick to your Zinc Grey order, you could then always add any combination of color highlights to it , like contrasting pinstripes, wraps on mirror caps, on sills, splitter and/or diffuser etc. Actually, I think Zinc Grey is a great base color for this as it allows you to go to the wild side of color contrasting, or to use more subtle contrasting colors, whichever suits your palette. Be aware however, that opting for a full body wrap may make less economic sense than foregoing your deposit, that is if you left the traditional $2.5k..

Whatever venue you decide to go with however, for God's sake don't opt to go for the Eletre. There just seems to be nothing at all in common between the characteristics of that vehicle and whatever criteria/impulse it was that drove you to order an Emira, You would just be setting yourself for an even bigger disappointment down the line.

And them, as they say, are my 2 cents. Good luck.

Last edited:
Zinc looks like primer. Its, not my favorite, but it is a trendy color right now, although I only saw one at the factory. Just use Porsche logic: bad colors, become rare colors, that become valuable colors. (y)
Specifically which "bad" Porsche colors became valuable colors?

Although I haven't yet witnessed the color live myself, there's a vlog where an employee at Lotus of Naples compares the different colors on all the Emiras lined up outside their dealership and, quite interestingly, his favorite color was precisely Zinc Grey. In case you haven't see that vlog, it was uploaded 5 months ago and it's on YouTube titled "Lotus Emira Color Selection and Options Walkthrough".

Admittedly, Zinc Grey is not my favorite color, but it's also not close to being the worse option, in my view. I, for one, do not like flashy bright colors but I also don't think the very dark ones help to accentuate the particularly beautiful angles and curves of the Emira. Zinc Grey is neither flashy bright nor is it, by any stretch, dark. I can perfectly understand others having preferences for colors at all ends of the spectrum and having a diverse palette out there makes everything so much more colorful and fun. Conversely, it would be pretty boring if we all had our Emiras in the same color.

As for what I'd do in your particular case; I would either stick to the Zinc Grey or, if your dislike of the color is worth foregoing your deposit, just buy another Emira in a color you already have seen live and really like. I can very appreciate the lack of appeal going back on the waiting list, but there are a number of fairly new Emiras for sale these days on the secondary market. If, on the other hand, you were to stick to your Zinc Grey order, you could then always add any combination of color highlights to it , like contrasting pinstripes, wraps on mirror caps, on sills, splitter and/or diffuser etc. Actually, I think Zinc Grey is a great base color for this as it allows you to go to the wild side of color contrasting, or to use more subtle contrasting colors, whichever suits your palette. Be aware however, that opting for a full body wrap may make less economic sense than foregoing your deposit, that is if you left the traditional $2.5k..

Whatever venue you decide to go with however, for God's sake don't opt to go for the Eletre. There just seems to be nothing at all in common between the characteristics of that vehicle and whatever criteria/impulse it was that drove you to order an Emira, You would just be setting yourself for an even bigger disappointment down the line.

Thanks a lot. Why would I even think about switching from emira to Electre. I lost my mind.

I will stick to my emira, but just need to get used to the color.

I used to obsess over car colors and constantly change them on the new vehicle configurator, for other cars I’ve really liked, until my “Eureka moment” when I realized it was difficult to choose “the” color, because ALL COLORS LOOK GOOD, WHEN THE BASIC CAR DESIGN (LINES, CURVES, ALL OTHER SHAPES, SO THE COMPLETE PACKAGE) LOOKS SO **|}#£?!!** AWESOME! I think the Emira is one of those cars, with its “natural classy and not ostentatious fabulous look”. Yes I’m biased moreso since I own one, however almost all reviews (even those more negative few) acknowledge the Emira’s striking good looks and that’s something that originally drew me to it. A color is a personal choice so as you see from this thread alone, Zinc Grey has its fans. That’s not surprising IMO, for the reason I’ve stated above. Don’t lose track of the fact it’s a gorgeous car in ANY color, people will compliment you on the car itself more than its color, and you’ll not really notice the exterior color when you’re in the all-important driver seat, enjoying the other great thing you’ll get which is the Emira ride, which in addition to its great look, is the other more important characteristic about this car and again, you get that ride in ANY color. Your money, your choice, but please don’t switch to another vehicle if you’re engaged by the Emira looks, and you’ve at least test driven one to know the ride you’ll be giving up. Something for the OP to consider. My 3 cents.

I used to obsess over car colors and constantly change them on the new vehicle configurator, for other cars I’ve really liked, until my “Eureka moment” when I realized it was difficult to choose “the” color, because ALL COLORS LOOK GOOD, WHEN THE BASIC CAR DESIGN (LINES, CURVES, ALL OTHER SHAPES, SO THE COMPLETE PACKAGE) LOOKS SO **|}#£?!!** AWESOME! I think the Emira is one of those cars, with its “natural classy and not ostentatious fabulous look”. Yes I’m biased moreso since I own one, however almost all reviews (even those more negative few) acknowledge the Emira’s striking good looks and that’s something that originally drew me to it. A color is a personal choice so as you see from this thread alone, Zinc Grey has its fans. That’s not surprising IMO, for the reason I’ve stated above. Don’t lose track of the fact it’s a gorgeous car in ANY color, people will compliment you on the car itself more than its color, and you’ll not really notice the exterior color when you’re in the all-important driver seat, enjoying the other great thing you’ll get which is the Emira ride, which in addition to its great look, is the other more important characteristic about this car and again, you get that ride in ANY color. Your money, your choice, but please don’t switch to another vehicle if you’re engaged by the Emira looks, and you’ve at least test driven one to know the ride you’ll be giving up. Something for the OP to consider. My 3 cents.
Thanks for your advice. I only took some picture, I didn't even get the chance to sit inside the emira. But I love it.

Thanks for your advice. I only took some picture, I didn't even get the chance to sit inside the emira. But I love it.
I ordered ZG sight unseen and was hoping it was very similar to Audi's Nardo.... I recently went to my local dealer to compare his color discs and see if I made the right decision. I currently drive a Taycan in Chalk and a McLaren in Cirrus Gray so I'm a bit familar with these "flat" colored cars. I was convinced that Lotus' ZG would be very similar to the Cirrus color but I came away quite surprised at how much darker it was than I'd imagined.

For reference, here's a pic of ZG on my Cirrus Grey car in the shade and a pc of the color disc in full sun:

Attachments

• zinc1.jpg
    zinc1.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 62
  • zinc2.jpg
    zinc2.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 63
  • ZG3.jpg
    ZG3.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 62

Thanks alot.
You should certainly stick with your Zinc Emira. I like the colour personally, but that is just taste for colour. As others have said, you will never get a chance of owning a car like the Emira ever again. I have 15.000 kms on my Dark Verdant V6 Auto since 21 March 2023, which is my daily driver. I have criss-crossed Europe in it and it is an amazing car. I have driven the Eletre as a replacement car for two weeks when I had to get some body repair work done after someone hit the front of my Emira. Whereas the Eletre is interesting, it is a completely different car. Too heavy, far too big for my liking, and only a shadow of the typical handling which I find in my Emira. I have driven 2 Elises, an Evora S IPS and now the Emira. All as my daily drivers. Nothing in the Eletre comes near the experience in those cars. And if you really cannot have the colour grow on you, why don't you have it wrapped? Enjoy the Emira whilst you can and good luck!

Id take the zinc grey too.. i like the color ofcourse for me personally it looks great with blackpack and blackwheels contrasting yellow or red calipers! Thats s stunner.. otherwise with the grey or diamond cut wheels and no blackpack it looks a bit boring.. but if thats what you have then yo can always wrap or colour ppf it.