• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

So disappointed with Zinc grey ...

Just4emira

Reaction score
When I locked in my spec, they didn't have the color sample available at the dealership.

The zinc grey in the configurator looks so much darker online than it is when it's seen in person...

When I saw the car in person for the first time yesterday, sceneca blue looked very stunning , yellow and red also looked great.

Out of all the 13 colors emira got, zinc grey really disappointed me.

My delivery will be in November, now I'm thinking that I don't want the car . Because I don't like the color.
I now need to choose stick with Zinc grey emira ...or Electre.

Yesterday, I sat in the dealer's Electre to our way to the garage to see the emira, I am fascinated by the Electre.

Help me out, all the emira lovers.
Should I stick with Zinc grey or buy the Electre?

Thanks alot.

Specifically which "bad" Porsche colors became valuable colors?
Not to keep coming back to Grey but

Gray Beige is one of the rare earlier porsche colors that is pretty desirable right now.

Signal Green at various times has been another color that is harder to find. It's still in the Paint To Sample library so you do see people ordering things like 911 GT3 or such in Signal Green. But it's an uncommon, and likely unpopular (since not many people ordered it) color that now gets special collector status.

Go play around with the Porsche paint to sample configuration.

Rubystar as currently selected has been in some Porsche media but overall I would guess it's not a common color and while all Paint-To-Sample cars will be rarer than the standard production cars, I'm guessing even in Paint-To-Sample there are more commonly seen colors that come through. Maybe you'd have a harder time selling the car for a time, but for the right buyer the lesser seen color combination is cool to have.

Last edited:
there’s no wrong answer and colors are completely subjective.

In my opinion, which means nothing, I’d wait and re order the color you want or find an orphaned emira. Zinc is actually my least favorite emira color. I saw a picture of it and in person and truly thought no color could look off on this car until I saw the zinc. Very happy with my choice of nimbus. I also really like Atlantis, osmium, mist white. I’ve got an opinion on every color at this point haha. Hethel looks too orange-wish it was a real yellow. verdant, meridian, and shadow grey all too dark and almost look the same, black- too many sparkles and way too difficult to take care of, both reds look too Ferrari like.

I still like the idea of the Satin PPF. Also, it's really easy to say "Pick a legacy color" but that's a lot easier said than done, especially if you want to use something like a Stek or another color PPF.

I looked at this initially when I was convinced I was going to go Hethel Yellow. I thought of doing a near full body wrap in Stek British Racing Green, leaving stripes (which would likely be done in clear), mirror caps, and so forth in yellow. This would mean I could avoid weirdness around door sills, and such.

Color paint protection is pretty limited, and yeah normal vinyl will provide *some* damage protection from small scrapes, bugs, and weathering. But I wanted that slight bit more. Also because of it's thicker nature PPF color reduces the occurrence of orange peel.

It's hard because I don't know how to drive a manual. There were 7,8 emira in the garage, but all were manual
Don't fear not knowing how to drive a manual. It takes a very short time to learn and forever to master. Regardless of color, I would get a stick emira. The Emira is probably the best last opportunity to be genuinely in complete control. That being said, I have to admit I have a less-than-gracious attitude. I love it when people love my car; they walk up, and you can see their faces change when they see it's a manual. In the U.S., it's rare for people to know how to drive one. So it's with a vain source of pride that I confirm that, yes, this car takes some skills to drive. And learning those skills? It doesn't get more gratifying.

When I locked in my spec, they didn't have the color sample available at the dealership.

The zinc grey in the configurator looks so much darker online than it is when it's seen in person...

When I saw the car in person for the first time yesterday, sceneca blue looked very stunning , yellow and red also looked great.

Out of all the 13 colors emira got, zinc grey really disappointed me.

My delivery will be in November, now I'm thinking that I don't want the car . Because I don't like the color.
I now need to choose stick with Zinc grey emira ...or Electre.

Yesterday, I sat in the dealer's Electre to our way to the garage to see the emira, I am fascinated by the Electre.

Help me out, all the emira lovers.
Should I stick with Zinc grey or buy the Electre?

Thanks alot.
Stick with the Emira,maybe wrap the roof in black would help.
You DON'T want an EV
Big mistake.

This type of color has been around a long time. Here's some photos I snapped while admiring a Porsche 356 (around 1960?) in a Palm Springs parking lot, back in December 2015. The first I'd ever seen. At first glance, it looked to have been a ground-up restoration. I looked it up at the time and it priced out then at around US$200K. Anyway, a Zinc Grey Emira would be in "good car company", color-wise.

IMG_0752.JPG. IMG_0753.JPG IMG_0751.JPG

I ordered ZG sight unseen and was hoping it was very similar to Audi's Nardo.... I recently went to my local dealer to compare his color discs and see if I made the right decision. I currently drive a Taycan in Chalk and a McLaren in Cirrus Gray so I'm a bit familar with these "flat" colored cars. I was convinced that Lotus' ZG would be very similar to the Cirrus color but I came away quite surprised at how much darker it was than I'd imagined.

For reference, here's a pic of ZG on my Cirrus Grey car in the shade and a pc of the color disc in full sun:
The disc seems so much darker than it is on the emira

Id take the zinc grey too.. i like the color ofcourse for me personally it looks great with blackpack and blackwheels contrasting yellow or red calipers! Thats s stunner.. otherwise with the grey or diamond cut wheels and no blackpack it looks a bit boring.. but if thats what you have then yo can always wrap or colour ppf it.
That's my spec. Full black pack, black wheels and yellow calipers

This type of color has been around a long time. Here's some photos I snapped while admiring a Porsche 356 (around 1960?) in a Palm Springs parking lot, back in December 2015. The first I'd ever seen. At first glance, it looked to have been a ground-up restoration. I looked it up at the time and it priced out then at around US$200K. Anyway, a Zinc Grey Emira would be in "good car company", color-wise.

View attachment 48200. View attachment 48201 View attachment 48203
Out of the 13 colors for emira, where would you put zinc grey personally?

Right at the top……
I'm right there with you. Nimbus seems to be a popular color based on the forum volume. But it is really right near the bottom for me. It is entirely too bronze/gold. Verdant Green is just too dark. In 99% of situations it just reads as black. (I admittedly have a hard time with this even in other situations). I think...really those are my only general complaints. Hethel is a great color. Atlantis blue I wish was more Green-Blue not Blurple, but its a nice color.

I almost went with Mist White, but in the end, ZG is I think a better car to care for and will feel unique next to its siblings.

I would try to find an emira in a color you enjoy. Colors are important for sportscars. Doesn’t make sense to spend a ton of money for wrapping just to change color. Won’t look as good as paint.

For some reason the 911 is a blank enough canvas to take on almost any color pretty well. I really like chaulk, nardo gray etc on the Porsches and Audis but they look strange on other cars like the Honda accord or a corvette or the emira. For some reason I can’t get away with the fact that it’s a Porsche Audi color.

Either way get an emira!

You downshift to a gear if you plan to keep moving. I put in neutral as I come to a stop, or sometimes taking a slow curve and then put into gear as I make the turn. If I am going 50 or more and slowing down, I never get back to second gear. Sometimes I will coast in neutral when I am in my subdivision and there is a hill and then put back in gear once lose momentum. Driven manuals for almost 40 years. It becomes second nature on shifting. Also, I often do two gear upshifts if not in a hurry. Especially 3rd to 5th.

There are some colors that, for whatever reason, were unappreciated when new that look great in retrospect.

Then there are colors that were ugly then and are ugly now! A lot of 70s colors come to mind when thinking about vintage Porsches. Mustard yellow, Pea Soup Green, Dookie Brown, all come to mind.

I'm sure someone will tell me how the 70s palate was infinitely better than what we have now...

Are you sure you want the Emira at all? This car strikes me as the kind of experience you have to really want in order to live with it, because while it's lightyears ahead of previous Lotus on comfort you're still making daily sacrifices with this car. If you're persuaded by the color into something that's a complete opposite it suggests to me that you don't really know what you want. You say you love Lotus but the Eletre is the least Lotus vehicle they've ever made.

But if you want a very focused sports car then keep the Emira and wrap it. No biggie. Will still be less than the cost of Eletre.

There are some colors that, for whatever reason, were unappreciated when new that look great in retrospect.

Then there are colors that were ugly then and are ugly now! A lot of 70s colors come to mind when thinking about vintage Porsches. Mustard yellow, Pea Soup Green, Dookie Brown, all come to mind.

I'm sure someone will tell me how the 70s palate was infinitely better than what we have now...
I’m that guy! I love all those colors on vintage Porsches. Specifically mustard yellow, pea soup green and dookie brown. Flat slightly faded colors with a brown leather or herringbone interior.