• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Stock Emira Wheels and Tires

Do you have experience with this company? Honestly this will probably not work out well for you if you’re buying random Alibaba wheels. Wheels are a safety item and the purity of the alloy is paramount. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. People on different car forums I’m on have tried that though and been burned.

Edit just clicked your link. That’s an export company founded in 2023. They are manufacturing the wheels with a third party. You’re likely speaking to a recent college graduate who majored in business English selling you the wheels. The 850kg load is a huge red flag for a car like Emira.

It’s way too high and if they’re recommending that it’s either they don’t know better or they do and they’re trying to overload them to account for an impure alloy.

Either way, Emira is a 100k car, not an economy commuter, buy wheels from someone who knows that they’re doing. Obviously IMHO and YMMV.

To be clear, wheels made in China if made under engineering and quality supervision by someone who knows that they’re doing (usually in the U.S.) are fine. You’re rolling the dice on a 100sq meter office that outsources everything. I think you’re crazy but good luck to you (I own factories in China btw so have no issue with Chinese manufacturing. I just know very well the different types of places and I would recommend you get your money back).
Happy New year,everyone.
Thank you very much for your valuable opinion and information.
I'm not good at English, so I might be bothering you all.
I am fully aware and understand what FreddieDB is saying. I also looked into the establishment date and size of Chinese companies. I can't say 100% that I'm not worried. The same goes for the load capacity figures.
I have established a local subsidiary in China and am doing business with many Chinese clients. There are times when I am disappointed when doing business with China, but there are also new discoveries. It is true that the low price is attractive, but at the same time, it also makes me feel anxious.
I purposely ordered this after understanding the anxiety and risks I felt. There is a possibility that I will receive bulky aluminum alloy waste. Therefore, I will not recommend my order to anyone else. But I am acting on what I think is "best" within me. So even if I fail, I won't regret it and won't blame anyone.

“To hope is to risk pain.
To try is to risk failure,
But biggest risk is not taking any risk.”

However, I will take the utmost care not to put anyone other than myself in danger or take their lives. I have a lot of friends, but apart from me, there is only one seat available at EMIRA. And I think I'll probably be the only one riding EMIRA.

I would like to thank FreddieDB for providing me with his valuable opinion and giving me the opportunity to reconsider.
Unfortunately, the EMIRA I'm ordering is an i4, so I don't know when it will be delivered. So even if I receive the wheels I ordered, I won't be able to install them on EMIRA, so unfortunately I won't be able to upload the details.

I’m aware there are lots of possible issues with poor quality cast wheels. What are some of the possible issues of wheels machined from a forged blank of aluminium?

I’m aware there are lots of possible issues with poor quality cast wheels. What are some of the possible issues of wheels machined from a forged blank of aluminium?
Anytime I've run into issues with something I ordered from China, the two issues were consistency of quality of materials and/or assembly. If something is way less expensive than you would normally expect, there's usually a greater chance of quality issues.

In the case of this company and the wheels, without knowing who's supplying the aluminum blanks and how good (and consistent) the material quality is, that low of a price for custom forged wheels would tend to make me suspicious of quality control issues. I could be wrong, but that's what my experience has taught me.

The price is low but it's not so low as to fundamentally worry me. This exercise is essentially exactly what wheel brands across the world do when they don't run their own engineering in-house, and instead sell private labeled product built in China. The margins have to be at least 50 points in order to make the investment and the cost of the shipping container worth the hassle.

A lot can go wrong. Others have already mentioned material consistency. The other main one is the design of the wheels themselves. Can they do real engineering analysis and testing to make sure the wheel they make is actually strong enough? If they are making full custom one-off builds, they are certainly not doing these since it would be cost prohibitive.

Forged wheels are prized for their strength and light weight. This combination is achieved by removing material where possible, but keeping material where needed. Without methodical engineering and testing, they are just guessing what materials are safe to remove and the end result is a weaker wheel.

You can say, well I don't need the wheels to be that strong anyway, but why pay for forged wheels to begin with?

A lot can go wrong. Others have already mentioned material consistency. The other main one is the design of the wheels themselves. Can they do real engineering analysis and testing to make sure the wheel they make is actually strong enough? If they are making full custom one-off builds, they are certainly not doing these since it would be cost prohibitive.

Forged wheels are prized for their strength and light weight. This combination is achieved by removing material where possible, but keeping material where needed. Without methodical engineering and testing, they are just guessing what materials are safe to remove and the end result is a weaker wheel.

You can say, well I don't need the wheels to be that strong anyway, but why pay for forged wheels to begin with?
Don’t worry your car comes with them.

Don’t worry your car comes with them.
I was commenting on Chinese import export companies making custom one-off wheels rather than a well established wheel brand that has manufacturing partners in China. It's a huge difference as described previously in this thread.

Chinese manufacturing and engineering capabilities are well established, but there are a lot of fly by night operations with zero expertise in the products they sell, taking advantage of pricing power to sell goods that are of questionable quality.

Reactions: AP1
I would not trust purchasing wheels (forged or not) from a company that is not established. I believe Lotus changed wheel manufacturers for the Emira. My Evora GT wheels are forged and made in the UK. Cheaping out on wheels does not make sense especially on this car.

Chinese manufacturing and engineering capabilities are well established, but there are a lot of fly by night operations with zero expertise in the products they sell, taking advantage of pricing power to sell goods that are of questionable quality.
It's my assumption that 2/3 of the affordable aftermarket wheels on the market are sourced from dodgy private label manufacturers of exactly the type that you describe. Even ones sold under brands that enthusiasts would recognize.

My favorite feature of this huckster's marketplace is the testing/certification marks they cast into the wheels, because what authority is going to actually challenge them or enforce some penalty for false use of the mark?

Well, they've redone the CAD with my small alteration to the spokes and sent a visual render (obviously virtual).

Time will tell.

Attachments

• 3D design (1).jpg
    3D design (1).jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 3D design (2).jpg
    3D design (2).jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 3D design (3).jpg
    3D design (3).jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Well, they've redone the CAD with my small spoke alteration and sent a visual (obviously virtual).

Time will tell.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Looking forward to reading your experience with this wheel.

Gold visual, as obviously these will be replacing my stock gold wheels.

Attachments

• GOLDEN DESIGN (3).jpg
    GOLDEN DESIGN (3).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 66
  • GOLDEN DESIGN (1).jpg
    GOLDEN DESIGN (1).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2955.jpg
    IMG_2955.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 68
I was informed that the forged wheels I ordered were completed, and a video of the completed wheels was also sent to me.
Shipping is said to be next Monday.
I would like to receive it and check it in detail.

I was informed that the forged wheels I ordered were completed, and a video of the completed wheels was also sent to me.
Shipping is said to be next Monday.
I would like to receive it and check it in detail.
View attachment 35325
The yellow highlights are going to look great on your yellow Emira! ... Looking fwd to seeing that.

Last edited:
Leading with a potentially stupid question.
If I’ve a spare set of these off a 2017 evora 400 would they potentially fit on an Emira ? Thanks

IMG_5790.jpeg

Leading with a potentially stupid question.
If I’ve a spare set of these off a 2017 evora 400 would they potentially fit on an Emira ? Thanks

View attachment 35333
possibly, but you'd need to check the ET (offset) to be sure, Emira is 57 front, 54 rear, but as the wheels are roughly 1" narrower than Emira, it would need some thought.

I think the PCD is the same, and a couple of campanies offer 18" for Emira, so assume they'd clear the calipers on the front (Emira is 20" front and rear)

Last edited:
Can someone confirm the brake specs as installed on the Emira? Brand, diameter, clearance from wheels.

1000016224.jpg

possibly, but you'd need to check the ET (offset) to be sure, Emira is 57 front, 54 rear, but as the wheels are roughly 1" narrower than Emira, it would need some thought.

I think the PCD is the same, and a couple of campanies offer 18" for Emira, so assume they'd clear the calipers on the front (Emira is 20" front and rear)
The ET is 55 front and 69 rear, of these wheels I’m considering for the Emira

I found a calculator online, can you please help me interpret the results, this is all a bit foreign to me, but keen to learn.

IMG_5796.jpeg

IMG_5795.jpeg

Last edited:
Back