• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

waited to long for this car, so not going to walk away and give them the satisfaction of making 10k profit, for an extra 'forced' charge for PPF (although I am getting a product to hopefully protect from rock chips).

Curious, what would you do? Would you walk away from the deal and get your $2,500 back?

There was no way around this--and their way to make more money or even make more money by fipping the car to aftermarket buyer.
Even if I plan to get ppf anyway, I would not tolerate actions like that from the dealer. What they are doing is illegal and utter BS. I would reject the mandatory ppf and sue them if they do not allow me to buy a car that I ordered and signed a contract for.

I would walk away and take MY 11 THOUSAND BACK YES. Ready to be off the crazy train. But I was referring to dealer, not any person. Ive already moved on mentally from the Emira. But still going through with it since I am a man of my word.
Thanks for the clarification. I only put down $2500, so would get that back, however I was on the fence of getting the PPF, and as I likely was going to get it later somewhere else, I didn't worry about it too much and just did this at the dealer to check mark the 'required' verbal discussion. I did pull the 'show me in writing where it says I have to get dealer financing only' rather than get funds from another bank. I called them out on that, and if they required internal financing, I would have walked away.

I chose PPF over the ceramic. If they required both, I would have asked to see it in writing.

I'm curious what reason was given for "required."
was it paint issues in UK cars?
or was there no reason given to customers other than "new policy"?
No reasons given, just said all cars have to have PPF OR ceramic, and if not, we will give the customers deposit back. I could have pushed them on this and asked for it in writing, but as I wanted the PPF (was 60% for getting it), decided there was no reason to argue.

I did feel the GM out and basically hinted that they would resale the car for likely 10k over MSRP (as I think Lotus doesn't allow it, but if depositors back out, they can do whatever they want as a dealer)

The PPF and what not was reasonably price effective for what I was quoted. I went ahead with it since we were waiting on CARB. Might as well have it done while we were waiting.

Its great to see Lotus FE 2.0's get delivered before 1.0's. What a shit show. Im glad they are getting delivered, but what a joke. BTW there are still MANY cars that are MIA, mine included.

Yup, required at Dallas, or you can get PPF, which is more expensive. Said if don't choose one, then you can have your deposit back. So I went with the PPF. They want people to walk away from the car so they can upcharge 10k.
That's absurd. I will meet my obligations and I expect my counterparties to do the same. I would have asked them to show the deposit agreement where they said I would be forced to buy something other than the car.

Given I had only taken possession an hour earlier I was driving pretty defensively anyhow! It’s definitely low and you need to watch out for the giant pickup trucks and SUVs, but I didn’t feel overly nervous. The main thing for me was the cars that zoomed up and then slowed down in my blind spot, trying to figure out what the heck this strange machine that they had encountered was. Be ready for a LOT of attention. Being insanely red doesn’t help, but the Emira in any color is absolutely arresting and most people have no idea what it is.

As for crosswinds, etc. it’s heavier than the Elise and has lots of downforce, so it feels very planted going down the highway. It’s very responsive without feeling “darty”. It rides quite nicely, yet responds immediately to every input. For me it’s a remarkable combination of comfort and “fun at your fingertips”.
Awesome! Do you have the Touring or Sports chassis?

waited to long for this car, so not going to walk away and give them the satisfaction of making 10k profit, for an extra 'forced' charge for PPF (although I am getting a product to hopefully protect from rock chips).

Curious, what would you do? Would you walk away from the deal and get your $2,500 back?

There was no way around this--and their way to make more money or even make more money by fipping the car to aftermarket buyer..
What they did is wrong, contact Lotus & complain. Taking advantage of consumers is wrong. They are used to making up the rules because they have been a pre-owned stand-alone car company for decades. The problem now they are operating under a manufacturer's license as a new car dealer. Another reason Tesla controls all aspects of the sales process and other manufacturers want to move in the same direction. When operating a franchise you have to follow the brand's laws/rules, I have seen many dealers close or restaurant franchises for not following corporate rules. What they forced you to do was wrong. This will eventually bite them in the A, if they continue these practices, what goes around comes around it always does.
Nov 20 2023 (Reuters) - Toyota will pay $60 million to settle a U.S. regulator's charges it illegally prevented car buyers from canceling unwanted product bundles that increased their monthly loan payments, and tarnished buyers' credit reports.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) on Monday said Toyota Motor Credit, the automaker's U.S.-based lending arm, will pay a $12 million civil fine and $48 million to car buyers harmed since 2016.

Last edited:
This guy's garage from the FB group is 🏆
430097717_10226267898984395_1539072204972307074_n.jpg

Did they charge you a dealer prep fee? I’m about to pay for mine and they added a 1700 dollar fee to it.
I don't see any dealer prep fees on my sheet but they may have rolled some into the market value selling price as it came out to $96,780 and IIRC the only added cost option I opted for was the Alcantara steering wheel. I'll know more after pickup today.