• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Yes if the dealer are the one doing it 100%. I think what’s typical is a new car coming like this where half the customers want it - they coordinate with a PPF ceramic shop that’s reputable and provides warranty as a bundle and can work out a deal and maybe small profit for the dealer as well by booking a bulk job. I also feel more comfortable getting the 25th car from my dealership hoping the person doing it has just done 5-10 emiras vs taking it to someone who’s never seen the car before. At mega reputable place like that shop in the UK that did that PPF YouTube on the verdant I would trust them but there’s also a lot of horror stories on places you’d think are reputable and have fake reviews or get their buddies to talk them up. Thoughts?
Lotus of Dallas has set up an enclosed cubicle just for PPF and ceramic
They did a deal with Xpel and they send xpel people to do it
They did a fantastic job in my car

And don’t forget the “mandatory” $1295 ceramic coating fee… which you can’t take off since they automatically do it to all the cars and you can’t take it off the invoice since it’s done already ( trust me I tried)
Yup, required at Dallas, or you can get PPF, which is more expensive. Said if don't choose one, then you can have your deposit back. So I went with the PPF. They want people to walk away from the car so they can upcharge 10k.

Yup, required at Dallas, or you can get PPF, which is more expensive. Said if don't choose one, then you can have your deposit back. So I went with the PPF. They want people to walk away from the car so they can upcharge 10k.
what a donkey

I just had my talk with the Finance office to get the final price and the only things I got charged for above the MSPR + Destination was $500 Admin Fee, $587.50 Doc Fee. That feels fairly normal to me to be honest. I'm also putting $90K down and the rest on a small loan, and they were able to beat my credit union by 1.5%

I'm fairly certain that no "optional products" are allowed to be forced upon a customer; You have legal rights there. If you signed an initial order to purchase the vehicle at MSRP, they can charge you their DOC fee that they charge all customers. From there, nothing else is required on an ordered vehicle unless there is language on what you initially signed to the contrary. That would upset me a lot. Sorry you're having to deal with that.

"Lotus submitted a new Emira V6 powertrain calibration for CARB approval back in January and it was approved on February 29th."

Hmmmm.....

“Eventually the Toyota V-6 will end production, and the Emira will be a purely four-cylinder affair.” Interesting

what a donkey
waited to long for this car, so not going to walk away and give them the satisfaction of making 10k profit, for an extra 'forced' charge for PPF (although I am getting a product to hopefully protect from rock chips).

Curious, what would you do? Would you walk away from the deal and get your $2,500 back?

There was no way around this--and their way to make more money or even make more money by fipping the car to aftermarket buyer.

waited to long for this car, so not going to walk away and give them the satisfaction of making 10k profit, for an extra 'forced' charge for PPF (although I am getting a product to hopefully protect from rock chips).

Curious, what would you do? Would you walk away from the deal and get your $2,500 back?

There was no way around this--and their way to make more money or even make more money by fipping the car to aftermarket buyer.
I'm not familiar with the specific laws of your state, but in NJ what they are doing is illegal, and I believe it is in most states. Again, unless they've had you unknowingly sign somewhere saying you agreed to those "aftermarket products and services", they have no right to force them upon you. If their PPF installer is very good, and you were going to do it anyway, then might be fine to take the car and not make waves, but in no way should you be forced to do something you don't want to without a fight.

I realize this is a real "shot in the dark" with a slim chance of success, however here goes:

If there's a new Emira owner that's taken delivery, and will be in the Palm Springs (California) area, over the next week, message me on this Forum if you'd like to show off your new shiny toy to a future Emira owner. I'm taking a short vacation in Palm Springs area (La Quinta) and will be there and able to "oooh and aaaww" over your Emira, on Monday March 11 or Tuesday March 12, should that work out. I've yet to even set eyes on one and as you'd expect, I'm dying to see one in person. I promise not to take up too much of your time, nor will I request a test drive...

This is an excerpt from a section in the above rule:
  • The fact that add-ons aren’t required. When making any representation, expressly or by implication, about an add-on product or service, the dealer must clearly disclose that the add-on isn’t required and that the consumer can buy or lease the vehicle without the add-on, if that’s the case. If the dealer makes the representation in writing, the disclosure must be in writing, too. As explained further in this Dealers Guide, the Rule includes other important provisions prohibiting dealers from charging consumer for add‑ons that don’t offer consumers a benefit.

Absolute bullshit. People will remember……

Soooo many people in that industry deserve a throat punch. Makes the good ones really stand out.

Think that @DerTheDer 's comment was referring to the Dealer - not the customer. That is how I read it anyway...

I personally would not walk away if they had not done the ceramic I would have done it anyway. So for me it was not an issue.

Think that @DerTheDer 's comment was referring to the Dealer - not the customer. That is how I read it anyway...
I would walk away and take MY 11 THOUSAND BACK YES. Ready to be off the crazy train. But I was referring to dealer, not any person. Ive already moved on mentally from the Emira. But still going through with it since I am a man of my word.

I would walk away and take MY 11 THOUSAND BACK YES. Ready to be off the crazy train. But I was referring to dealer, not any person. Ive already moved on mentally from the Emira. But still going through with it since I am a man of my word.
Well yeah, 11K? Holy Buckets! That changes the story..

How is highway driving in traffic? In my Elise, you have to drive very defensively as it's so low to the ground that a lot of drivers don't see if if they look over... and it's so light you really feel the effect of a crosswind or a semi-truck's air stream.
Given I had only taken possession an hour earlier I was driving pretty defensively anyhow! It’s definitely low and you need to watch out for the giant pickup trucks and SUVs, but I didn’t feel overly nervous. The main thing for me was the cars that zoomed up and then slowed down in my blind spot, trying to figure out what the heck this strange machine that they had encountered was. Be ready for a LOT of attention. Being insanely red doesn’t help, but the Emira in any color is absolutely arresting and most people have no idea what it is.

As for crosswinds, etc. it’s heavier than the Elise and has lots of downforce, so it feels very planted going down the highway. It’s very responsive without feeling “darty”. It rides quite nicely, yet responds immediately to every input. For me it’s a remarkable combination of comfort and “fun at your fingertips”.

This is an excerpt from a section in the above rule:
  • The fact that add-ons aren’t required. When making any representation, expressly or by implication, about an add-on product or service, the dealer must clearly disclose that the add-on isn’t required and that the consumer can buy or lease the vehicle without the add-on, if that’s the case. If the dealer makes the representation in writing, the disclosure must be in writing, too. As explained further in this Dealers Guide, the Rule includes other important provisions prohibiting dealers from charging consumer for add‑ons that don’t offer consumers a benefit.
Thanks for the info. Of note, I was on the fence of getting the PPF, and as I likely was going to get it later somewhere else, I didn't worry about it too much and just did this at the dealer to check mark the 'required' verbal discussion. I chose this over the ceramic. If they required both, I would have asked to see it in writing.

I'm curious what reason was given for "required."
was it paint issues in UK cars?
or was there no reason given to customers other than "new policy"?

I'm not familiar with the specific laws of your state, but in NJ what they are doing is illegal, and I believe it is in most states. Again, unless they've had you unknowingly sign somewhere saying you agreed to those "aftermarket products and services", they have no right to force them upon you. If their PPF installer is very good, and you were going to do it anyway, then might be fine to take the car and not make waves, but in no way should you be forced to do something you don't want to without a fight.
I was going to pull the 'show me the documentation that it is required', but as you stated, since I was going to get the PPF already (somewhere else in a week after driving the car a bit), I told myself, what the heck, just do it and don't worry about this minor detail (even though they use Expel people at the dealer). It wasn't worth me saving a few hundred bucks to get it somewhere else next week, knowing very well I will get a rock chip the first day without PPF (LOL)