• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

When they took your Feb factory order did they give you an anticipated build month? For example “feb deposit with expected June build”?
They did not give me this info. I had to piece together what I could from others here. I got my VIN through the contact form on the Lotus website and used NOVA's tracking sheet to figure out when it arrived. I've only received two unsolicited calls from my dealership this entire time. When I ordered and when it arrived. The dealership was otherwise great to deal with.

They did not give me this info. I had to piece together what I could from others here. I got my VIN through the contact form on the Lotus website and used NOVA's tracking sheet to figure out when it arrived. I've only received two unsolicited calls from my dealership this entire time. When I ordered and when it arrived. The dealership was otherwise great to deal with.
Anybody hear, of any more boats arriving ?

I bought from Indiana and I live in Maryland. The dealer in Indiana charged me MD sales tax (and provided documentation of it). It turns out MD does not accept this (I guess because the tax was paid to Indiana), so I had to pay the tax again when I went to register the car in MD. Then, I'll apply for the dealer to refund me the tax they charged me, so I'm not double-taxed.

Just mentioning this to others buying from out of state -- it can add a hassle if the dealer adds on your own state's sales tax, in cases where your state does not accept it that way.

I bought from Indiana and I live in Maryland. The dealer in Indiana charged me MD sales tax (and provided documentation of it). It turns out MD does not accept this (I guess because the tax was paid to Indiana), so I had to pay the tax again when I went to register the car in MD. Then, I'll apply for the dealer to refund me the tax they charged me, so I'm not double-taxed.

Just mentioning this to others buying from out of state -- it can add a hassle if the dealer adds on your own state's sales tax, in cases where your state does not accept it that way.

- they charged you the sales tax rate for your local area not IN but didn't go through a 3rd party to process the sales tax for MD?

I had a friend that bought a car somewhere on the east coast and they charged him the sales tax rate where he lives. When he registered, the DMV calculated the local sales tax and it matched. He didn't have to pay anything extra or pay double and get a refund from the dealer

- did you ask if they would not make you pay sales tax and then you pay it locally when registered?

I bought a truck in TX and had it shipped, I paid only the price of the truck and when I registered it, I then paid the full sales tax to the DMV.

Correct, they charged MD sales tax, at the MD not IN rate. It's even listed as "MD Sales Tax" on the sales order.

I was also given an IN ST-108NR form "Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid on the Purchase of a Motor Vehicle ... for a Nonresident", which shows tax collected and that form implies it should be collected at the rate in the non-resident's state (MD). Then I had to sign it saying if I do end up registering it in IN, I'll be subject to paying IN sales tax on it.

I'm guessing this is used in cases where people in states adjacent to IN buy cars, and those states have an agreement with IN in terms of tax reciprocity. Given the distance, it would be fairly uncommon for a person in MD to buy a car from IN.

I guess I can thank you @ameeriklane, I did the same with the same dealer but picked up a few weeks after you. Did not pay MD sales tax through the dealer, will go to MD MVA to register and pay taxes on the sale. Figuring that your experience probably made mine a bit smoother. Thanks!

I guess I can thank you @ameeriklane, I did the same with the same dealer but picked up a few weeks after you. Did not pay MD sales tax through the dealer, will go to MD MVA to register and pay taxes on the sale. Figuring that your experience probably made mine a bit smoother. Thanks!
Did you go through Gator? Did they give you the option of paying them the tax or you paying it directly to your state?

I deceided to wait before making this post to follow up my original post: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/usa-canada-delivery-thread.2183/post-143908

Long story short here, I didn't have a great dealership experience and was a bit upset because my car was very clearly sitting for a while, covered in dirt with leaves inside the car. Many of you talked me off the ledge because I was ready to put my attorney hat on and go into rampage mode, but I still wanted the car and although it took a bit of the excitement out of the delivery, I'm incredibly happy with the car. I picked it up Friday, July 19. Took it straight to get PPF at a local shop. Picked the car up from the PPF shop on Wednesday, July 24 and have been driving it around since. Car has about 200 miles on it and it's been flawless thus far. So thank you, I appreciate you guys for the delivery updates and the support. I'll miss this thread.

Obligatory delivery picture with the salesman scrambling to clean the leaves out of the trunk moments before handing me the keys:

PXL_20240719_194032738.MP.jpg

Did you go through Gator? Did they give you the option of paying them the tax or you paying it directly to your state?
I did go through Gator. They advised me to just pay taxes directly to MD when I registered the vehicle in state.

I did go through Gator. They advised me to just pay taxes directly to MD when I registered the vehicle in state.

That's good to hear. I also went through Gator and will be going through this process soon and prefer to pay the taxes when I register the car in MA.

Anybody hear, of any more boats arriving ?
Just asking this question again. Last boat was on July 8th.

Lotus cars told me they only communicate VIN numbers when the cars are ready for shipment. My car was supposed to be produced in June, but nothing to date.

Just asking this question again. Last boat was on July 8th.

Lotus cars told me they only communicate VIN numbers when the cars are ready for shipment. My car was supposed to be produced in June, but nothing to date.
I believe @Nova is still unable to get the data as they put the shipping manifests behind a paywall after the 7/8/24 update.

After putting in my deposit for an orphaned 1st Edition V6 Auto my dealer said they would be sending my deposit information to Lotus for approval, what does that exactly mean?

After putting in my deposit for an orphaned 1st Edition V6 Auto my dealer said they would be sending my deposit information to Lotus for approval, what does that exactly mean?
The original factory submission is verified against the original deposit information to make sure it’s a real order by the same person. As you got an “orphaned” order that’s already being built I suspect it’s just a way for Lotus to update the record as you being the owner of the factory submission.

Last edited: