• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

- Seat bolsters basically collapsed on the driver side entry and felt like cheap entry level bolsters from 90s Japanese cars.
- Steering wandered quite a bit and pulled likely out of spec on alignment quite a bit.
- Clutch bite point was inconsistent, had no feedback and I even managed to stall the car which I probably haven’t done in 20 years in a number of manuals.
- Shifter had far more play than the first car I test drove and didn’t quite feel as rewarding.
- Rattles and squeaks made the car feel cheap compared to the first drive which was more refined and almost German like quality.
- Pronounced valve tapping noises that weren’t there prior.

Let’s just say I’m glad I drove the sports yellow Emira back last fall. I’ll chalk this up to being a well used test drive car that has seen better days.
Oh no...my wife drove the yellow one and I'll be driving the blue one. Anyway, what suspension does the blue one have? And the route?

Oh and now that I’ve driven both tour and sports there’s hardly a difference. You can tell there’s a bit more low and mid speed compression damping.

Turn in feels a little bit sharper on sports because the increase in low shock speed damping limits the rate of body roll.

Medium sized bumps or cracks in the road cause some more body movement due to higher mid speed compression but not by a whole lot.

I have a pretty good hand and butt feel for suspension and the memory to go with it and if you blindfold tested me on these suspension options I’d be pretty hard pressed to identify each one.
Thanks for the seat-of-the-pants review. Your muscle memory is strong. Most of my exercise is in futility, except for the strength of my convictions.

Let’s just say I’m glad I drove the sports yellow Emira back last fall. I’ll chalk this up to being a well used test drive car that has seen better days.
I'd previously had two separate test drives and didnt notice much diff in the two. Just a random park sensor chirp when in traffic.

FWIW I drove a LHD drive car (third time driving) in the Intro to sports cars a few weeks ago. I meant to look at the mileage but forgot. I'm pretty sure that was the car they used exclusively for LHD on the track school so its been thrashed probably. Didnt really get to drive normally but didnt notice anything not working (AC even worked) quirky or broken. The car drove perfectly as far as I could tell. I did notice the instructor reach over quickly and clear several (fault) messages like service overdue, tracker etc on startup.
The tan interior (which I was considering) had more aging/wear creases etc than i would have liked though.
EDIT: i forgot to add that the engine surround piece was quite faded and discolored on the track car. It looked pretty bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. It does sound like that car has been through a lot.

Oh no...my wife drove the yellow one and I'll be driving the blue one. Anyway, what suspension does the blue one have? And the route?
Blue has the tour suspension, the route was similar to last time but Kyle had me go down some other roads that weren't just boring highway miles. I'm sure he could be convinced on your drive too.

I have an appointment at Boardwalk for my first Emira. I was told it’s blue with sports suspension. It will be my first and likely only drive to base my decision on. If it’s as sad as KitKat describes, it might force me to cancel (especially when compounded with some of the failures I read here)

On a side note, I test drove the Integra type s. I get it’s a totally different animal but it does force one to really consider the value it brings, along with reliability and practicality, compared to something like the Emira. I could go that route, save a lot of money, and daily it without the angst of driving a specialty car. Decisions decisions

I have an appointment at Boardwalk for my first Emira. I was told it’s blue with sports suspension. It will be my first and likely only drive to base my decision on. If it’s as sad as KitKat describes, it might force me to cancel (especially when compounded with some of the failures I read here)

On a side note, I test drove the Integra type s. I get it’s a totally different animal but it does force one to really consider the value it brings, along with reliability and practicality, compared to something like the Emira. I could go that route, save a lot of money, and daily it without the angst of driving a specialty car. Decisions decisions
Try not to go into it with that mindset, just know there are better examples imho. I may just be really picky with the car and would love if someone else here could confirm or even tell me I’m crazy :). I’m still buying even with my test drive opinions.

The type s is a pretty sweet drive but in the Bay Area I’m sure it’s a 15-20k markup and who wants to spend $67-$72K on an Integra?? Oh there’s a nice CTR parked right next to the Emira during your demo too.

- Seat bolsters basically collapsed on the driver side entry and felt like cheap entry level bolsters from 90s Japanese cars.
- Steering wandered quite a bit and pulled likely out of spec on alignment quite a bit.
- Clutch bite point was inconsistent, had no feedback and I even managed to stall the car which I probably haven’t done in 20 years in a number of manuals.
- Shifter had far more play than the first car I test drove and didn’t quite feel as rewarding.
- Rattles and squeaks made the car feel cheap compared to the first drive which was more refined and almost German like quality.

Roughly how many miles on it?

Quoting myself here, did you have any thoughts on my comments @mforde ? I thought the sports setup from the first round of test drives was a better put together car.

Interested in community thoughts here: I am getting so tired of waiting for the Emira, I started searching hard for an Evora GT. Prices for GTs are barely 10% depreciated from original sticker prices, which is understandable given the limited number of Evoras on the market. Problem I am having with dropping the $$$ is that I figure the Evoras will significantly and immediately deprecate the moment the Emira's start to hit the market - since the Emira offers everything the Evora does and more, for about the same money. Which will be exactly the moment I want to trade the Evora for an Emira (along with others I presume). So I guess the bet becomes buy an Evora because the Emira will "never" get to the USA - or just continue to wait and pull out more hair until I hopefully get "the call"? Such an unknown variable...

Interested in community thoughts here: I am getting so tired of waiting for the Emira, I started searching hard for an Evora GT. Prices for GTs are barely 10% depreciated from original sticker prices, which is understandable given the limited number of Evoras on the market. Problem I am having with dropping the $$$ is that I figure the Evoras will significantly and immediately deprecate the moment the Emira's start to hit the market - since the Emira offers everything the Evora does and more, for about the same money. Which will be exactly the moment I want to trade the Evora for an Emira (along with others I presume). So I guess the bet becomes buy an Evora because the Emira will "never" get to the USA - or just continue to wait and pull out more hair until I hopefully get "the call"? Such an unknown variable...

I think you should by the Evora GT in the interim it’s imo a great car. ( I have one). It’s incredible fun to drive. Pretty raw no fancy frills or electronic stuff. Had it for 2 years and thankfully zero issues Then when you finally if ever get the Emira decide which one you prefer. The sell one of them or keep both.

I suspect the big danger of an Evora is trying to get any parts you might need later.

An old salty engineer once told me that for every new circuit (or feature) you add to a complex system, it can create a dozen new failure modes. Even just minor parts spec variability (creating additive deviation from nominal spec) can wreck a viable manufacturing BOM in the absence of any clear individual defect. It gets complicated.
Agree. And this is why Toyota/Lexus keeps using old but reliable parts & engines in newer models. Significantly less chance of failure. Yeah it’s not sexy that it’s not up to date with the market, but there’s a reason why Toyota/Lexus are more reliable. If it ain’t broke, don’t invent a new wheel.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back