• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Note to self - never let KitKat drive my car.

Agree. And this is why Toyota/Lexus keeps using old but reliable parts & engines in newer models. Significantly less chance of failure. Yeah it’s not sexy that it’s not up to date with the market, but there’s a reason why Toyota/Lexus are more reliable. If it ain’t broke, don’t invent a new wheel.
Except in this case we're only getting one side of the trade-off. Because of the Lotus/Geely ECU combined with the Toyota engine we're getting 15yrs ago performance and also not getting the Toyota reliability on the drivetrain that was supposed to be that trade off.

I could deal with some more minor electrical gremlins in a brand new low-volume british sports car... but like the one thing that was supposed to be solid was the Toyota drive train and it appears they've screwed that particular pooch with the ECU. I'm not claiming to know, but I'm guessing that they can't just throw an Evora one on there bc that would throw out the US emissions and require re-submitting for that and another 12+ month wait.

FFS!

My day started at 830a leaving Roseville to arrive at 11:00am in Redwood City. At 10:15, I get a call from Boardwalk, obviously to confirm I’m going to make my appointment, but nope! They tell me the demo broke down. Is this a freaking sign or what?! I ask if I can at least sit in it but they kindly explain it’s in the shop already.

I’ve had a deposit for nearly 2 years. Missed out test driving earlier this year despite showing up at the dealership. And now, another missed opportunity. I‘m already dreading the possibility of a mechanical failure during ownership but it looks like I don’t even have to possession to experience that ‘pleasure’. What a total let down.

Italiabrain, you’re spot on. I was attracted to the Emira for supercar looks with Toyota reliability. But seems more like supercar looks and Ford Pinto reliability.

Wait, that’s not fair… the Pinto had available parts.

I don’t know if I can take anymore of this.

Last edited:
FFS!

My day started at 830a leaving Roseville to arrive at 11:00am in Redwood City. At 10:15, I get a call from Boardwalk, obviously to confirm I’m going to make my appointment, but nope! They tell me the demo broke down. Is this a freaking sign or what?! I ask if I can at least sit in it but they kindly explain it’s in the shop already.

I’ve had a deposit for nearly 2 years. Missed out test driving earlier this year despite showing up at the dealership. And now, another missed opportunity. I‘m already dreading the possibility of a mechanical failure during ownership but it looks like I don’t even have to possession to experience that ‘pleasure’. What a total let down.

Italiabrain, you’re spot on. I was attracted to the Emira for supercar looks with Toyota reliability. But seems more like supercar looks and Ford Pinto reliability.

Wait, that’s not fair… the Pinto had available parts.

I don’t know if I can take anymore of this.

Ouch... at least they called? Sadly, this isn't the first Emira demo to break down. Hopefully it's something minor and you can still get a test drive soon.

My current car, despite being 1 year old, is in the shop with a drivetrain malfunction, and I just yesterday picked up a loaner. It made me think:

Does anyone know what the situation has been like in the past for Lotus cars that end up needing warranty-covered repair? I am assuming the loaner situation is different dealer-by-dealer? It would ease almost all of my reliability concerns if I could reasonably expect a loaner (even if its not a lotus).

My deposit is at Galpin in LA.

My current car, despite being 1 year old, is in the shop with a drivetrain malfunction, and I just yesterday picked up a loaner. It made me think:

Does anyone know what the situation has been like in the past for Lotus cars that end up needing warranty-covered repair? I am assuming the loaner situation is different dealer-by-dealer? It would ease almost all of my reliability concerns if I could reasonably expect a loaner (even if its not a lotus).

My deposit is at Galpin in LA.
My order is with Galpin as well, did you receive an email from them in the past few days? I am not sure I will be having mine serviced there as it is quite a distance from my home, but you may want to reach out and ask them. My 2 cents is if they do, it would probably be from their other dealerships as this is their "boutique" brand dealership with Lotus, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar, etc. so not sure they have many or would use those for loaners? They may use some Volvos as they are dealer for them, but I am just guessing.

My order is with Galpin as well, did you receive an email from them in the past few days? I am not sure I will be having mine serviced there as it is quite a distance from my home, but you may want to reach out and ask them. My 2 cents is if they do, it would probably be from their other dealerships as this is their "boutique" brand dealership with Lotus, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar, etc. so not sure they have many or would use those for loaners? They may use some Volvos as they are dealer for them, but I am just guessing.

No, I did not receive an email. Did you?

No, I did not receive an email. Did you?
Yes, just a basic thank you for your patience and that deliverers for FE's will begin in October, like we have heard here but not sure how true that is. Surprised you didn't get one, do you have a FE 1.0 ordered? I figured it would have gone out to everybody that has a FE order placed, but I don't really know, I am just sitting and waiting like us all in NA.

Does anyone know any dealer that has a DV demo car in the US? Was curious to see that paint color in person.

Yes, just a basic thank you for your patience and that deliverers for FE's will begin in October, like we have heard here but not sure how true that is. Surprised you didn't get one, do you have a FE 1.0 ordered? I figured it would have gone out to everybody that has a FE order placed, but I don't really know, I am just sitting and waiting like us all in NA.

Nope, not a FE depositor. I'm a late deposit on a I4.

I’m actually totally fine with waiting longer at this point. Don’t send me a car that needs a tech randomly replacing ECUs, O2 sensors, power steering units for the first 6 months or more of ownership. I’d like to drive the car when I get it, not tow it in.
And Lotus will keep increasing the prices 😂

Hi from the mid-Atlantic region. I test drove the Magma demonstrator (sports suspension) at Lotus of DC this past Friday. Had a chance to chat with the GM afterwards, and he told me that US V6FE cars are still scheduled for delivery in 4Q23, but he didn't think that would actually happen. He thought 1Q24 was more realistic. He thought order books for the FE 2.0 cars would open sometime this fall for delivery mid-2024. He was more pessimistic on the I4 schedule. He thought order books for the I4FE (which I have a deposit on) wouldn't open until 2Q24, with deliveries in 4Q24.

Hi from the mid-Atlantic region. I test drove the Magma demonstrator (sports suspension) at Lotus of DC this past Friday. Had a chance to chat with the GM afterwards, and he told me that US V6FE cars are still scheduled for delivery in 4Q23, but he didn't think that would actually happen. He thought 1Q24 was more realistic. He thought order books for the FE 2.0 cars would open sometime this fall for delivery mid-2024. He was more pessimistic on the I4 schedule. He thought order books for the I4FE (which I have a deposit on) wouldn't open until 2Q24, with deliveries in 4Q24.
I wonder if that’s based on any real intel, or just take whatever Lotus says and plan on them being late. Which everyone already knows.

Pinged my sales guy a week ago if any new rumors on 2.0 allocations. He said “no rumors but they are coming and you’re getting one.”
No news is good news?!

Oh no...my wife drove the yellow one and I'll be driving the blue one. Anyway, what suspension does the blue one have? And the route?
Not sure if anyone already replied, but if you're talking about Boardwalk Lotus, the blue one is the tour suspension. The yellow was sport.

I wonder if that’s based on any real intel, or just take whatever Lotus says and plan on them being late. Which everyone already knows.

Pinged my sales guy a week ago if any new rumors on 2.0 allocations. He said “no rumors but they are coming and you’re getting one.”
No news is good news?!
My how we scrutinize every morsel of information.
Rep. states the obvious (allocations are coming),
No mention of dealer allocation amount or when.
You must be within the first 15-25 slots for him to be so confident.
If so, quite happy for you.
If you don't know your place in line presently, ask and document it.
Many of us are anxiously on the cusp.
About 3 weeks ago the word was LC-US was auditing Dealer wait lists and that allocation award info was imminent. I guess that term is replacing the much abused 'soon.'
#TheBigWait

Quoting myself here, did you have any thoughts on my comments @mforde ? I thought the sports setup from the first round of test drives was a better put together car.
Hi Kitkat...I went back and forth for a while, really trying to remember the test drive in the yellow Emira with the sports suspension. I agree with you, I wouldn't say the sport is harsh at all. When I thought about how I went through the curves entering the freeway, I felt the sport was a bit more precise and tighter, more planted, and shifting did seem a bit tighter/more precise in the sport over the tour. (Not sure is the tour was just more broken in) That being said, I'm going to go sport.

There is a report that USA production has started from one of the Facebook groups

It was from someone that did a factory tour last Thursday.

"During my tour of the factory the guide Sam spoke about cars waiting to leave for America. I’m sure they won’t be long. Well worth waiting on. I can’t stop smiling."

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back