• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Who has had a Test Drive , score from 1 to 10

Score your test drive from 1 to 10

• Total voters
I’m a bit noise sensitive, but it was making me feel quite weird by the time I got out after the drive…

Seats could be better, but having sat in my mates GT4 buckets, I sure as hell don't want them for my usage...I may track it once a year tops!

The carbon buckets are cool to look at, but not comfortable after a bit. Especially brutal for your passenger!

Easy 8 for me. Needs ~50+ HP, higher rev limit, customizable driver's screen with an analog gauge option, and adjustable height suspension and it'd be a 9 for me. A perfect 10 would be weight around 3k flat, carbon buckets, and a more aggressive intake and exhaust sound.

To be fair, no production car is going to be a perfect 10 for me (or anyone I don't think). I enjoy modifying my vehicles, so I'll always find things I want to improve to make it my perfect car. So thinking back on my 8 rating, maybe it should be a 9 considering what Lotus was trying to create... an exciting, engaging, beautiful, reliable exotic sportscar with modern creature comforts (while abiding by all the current restrictions and laws).

My biggest gripe is the detuned power of the exact same powertrain from the predecessors. Even ~1.5 years later it just feels like a slap in the face. No one does that and I'll never get over it. Having to pay for an aftermarket or OEM Lotus performance tune on top of the $100k price tag is BS. So, bitterness toward their growing pains, lack of color options, and decisions to decrease power aside... I'm changing my vote to a 9. The Emira is awesome!

Totally. I don't think I even noticed it on either of my drives 🙂

Lol, yeah.. it's not loud at all. Maybe if you've never heard a supercharger before it would be alarming, but I personally enjoy intake noises. I've been in some extremely loud supercharged cars before and the Emira is quite in comparison.

To be fair, no production car is going to be a perfect 10 for me (or anyone I don't think). I enjoy modifying my vehicles, so I'll always find things I want to improve to make it my perfect car. So thinking back on my 8 rating, maybe it should be a 9 considering what Lotus was trying to create... an exciting, engaging, beautiful, reliable exotic sportscar with modern creature comforts (while abiding by all the current restrictions and laws).

My biggest gripe is the detuned power of the exact same powertrain from the predecessors. Even ~1.5 years later it just feels like a slap in the face. No one does that and I'll never get over it. Having to pay for an aftermarket or OEM Lotus performance tune on top of the $100k price tag is BS. So, bitterness toward their growing pains, lack of color options, and decisions to decrease power aside... I'm changing my vote to a 9. The Emira is awesome!
I defo think it was emissions (remember it doesn't have stop-start which helps) based on a few conversations at Goodwood.. in fact, Would be surprised if that contributed to some of the type approval delays..

Lol, yeah.. it's not loud at all. Maybe if you've never heard a supercharger before it would be alarming, but I personally enjoy intake noises. I've been in some extremely loud supercharged cars before and the Emira is quite in comparison.

It wasn’t alarming just unpleasant

If I wanted constant whining whilst driving I’d take my other half on a spirited drive on some back roads 😄

Last edited:
It’s wasn’t alarming just unpleasant

If I wanted constant whining whilst driving I’d take my other half on a spirited drive on some back roads 😄
Are you really really young?
Maybe it's omitting the same frequency as those anti social speakers that can only be heard by under 18s 🔊 they put them outside McDonald's to stop the youth hanging around outside 😅

Lol, I can relate. I usually get the ::gasp:: when I accelerate through a yellow light or get a little playful around turns. I like to remind her I race with the advanced Skip Barber HPDE and PCA track days. Meanwhile she brakes at the absolute last minute and will look at her phone while going through intersections. o_O

Also, did anyone like me not like the floor mat placements? It always caught my hell when I depressed the clutch.
Me, four! I thought it was just my shoes since the rear heel has a tiny little lip on the pair I was wearing!

Only three post's so my guess would be troll from the C8 forum.
Not a troll thanks. I'm 5'11 with very short legs and a long torso. Wear size 15 double-wide shoes. Put simply; I don't fit the car and could not get comfortable. And maybe that's why I found no sense of occasion and left feeling cold. The route certainly didn't help, either.

Not a troll thanks. I'm 5'11 with very short legs and a long torso. Wear size 15 double-wide shoes. Put simply; I don't fit the car and could not get comfortable. And maybe that's why I found no sense of occasion and left feeling cold. The route certainly didn't help, either.
I think the pedals are even closer together for NA cars too, so I can imagine that being pretty rough.

Those are some big hoofs(y)

I voted 8/10

Moderator note: main review moved to customer test drives thread here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my breakdown in the test drive review megathread, but the short answer is the engine isn't on par with the rest of the car. It's far from terrible. But the engine is a good bit away from a 10.
this is exactly how I felt, no wow factor.

With hind sight I wish I never had a test drive.
The whole event was completely counter productive and it nearly cost me a cancellation.
Including collection day I have driven it every day for the 12 days of ownership.
I think the only thing I now have a bit of a gripe about is the wheel. Its taking some getting used to and the shape I feel is form over function at the highest level.
I thought the controls on the wheel would be a pain but no they are fine. I have hit them a couple of times on extreme lock.
The car on the whole is way better than I expected and I still cant rev it!!!

Be careful making a judgement from a test drive....

Supercars and muscle cars deliver the wow factor. They're designed to slam you back into the seat when you accelerate, and thrill you with raw power. That's what they're designed to do, and as such are test-drive decision types of cars. Sports cars are different. They're not designed to wow you like that. They're designed to become part of you, so together you can challenge and master the road.

Instead of the extreme of raw acceleration which requires nothing more than a straight stretch of road, sports cars assist you in the extreme of handling and driver skill, to negotiate and master speed, braking, timing, gear choice, turn-in and throttle control when the road requires you to turn the wheel. This isn't something you're likely to fully appreciate with a test drive, because it takes time for you to adjust to the car and learn its characteristics. Sports cars have a personality, and you have to spend time with them to get familiar with what they like and don't like.

There are certain marques, like Alfa Romeo and Lotus that have a sense of emotion to their car's personalities, which you don't necessarily find in other cars. It's hard to define, but their loyal owners know what it is, even if they have a hard time putting it into exact words.

Supercars and muscle cars deliver the wow factor. They're designed to slam you back into the seat when you accelerate, and thrill you with raw power. That's what they're designed to do, and as such are test-drive decision types of cars. Sports cars are different. They're not designed to wow you like that. They're designed to become part of you, so together you can challenge and master the road.

Instead of the extreme of raw acceleration which requires nothing more than a straight stretch of road, sports cars assist you in the extreme of handling and driver skill, to negotiate and master speed, braking, timing, gear choice, turn-in and throttle control when the road requires you to turn the wheel. This isn't something you're likely to fully appreciate with a test drive, because it takes time for you to adjust to the car and learn its characteristics. Sports cars have a personality, and you have to spend time with them to get familiar with what they like and don't like.

There are certain marques, like Alfa Romeo and Lotus that have a sense of emotion to their car's personalities, which you don't necessarily find in other cars. It's hard to define, but their loyal owners know what it is, even if they have a hard time putting it into exact words.
Didn’t know this THX