• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Yellow Emira on display in China

Next we will see the caliper yellow against the yellow logo and yellow paint.

An OCD nightmare of yellow!
Your OCD mileage may vary, but I had the exact thinking about different shades of yellow until I actually purchased a Liquid Yellow Evora GT with yellow calipers and yellow seat stitching. Not all the yellows match and I barely even notice it. Depending on how the light is hitting the car, even the body panels have different shades of yellow. Not a single other person has said anything about the various shades of yellow either. Nobody notices it and I have only received positive comments.

It looks like it's just a mounting block to attach a plate mount to it, then you'd attach the plate to that. I looked up front license plates for China, and every car has the plate in that exact same location at that same height, so it looks like a government regulation requirement. Hopefully that's just for China, as I definitely do not want that on my car.
I’m quite sure is the plate mount as shown in this video at approx 3:15.

i don’t think the radar could be behind the plate, it shoul have a clear front sight in my opinion

I’m quite sure is the plate mount as shown in this video at approx 3:15.

i don’t think the radar could be behind the plate, it shoul have a clear front sight in my opinion
My wife's minis radar has clear line of sight.

It's 99% sure that it's for the number plate. Why would they use such an ugly thing as a radar when my Tesla for example has a radar that you can't see at all?

It's 99% sure that it's for the number plate. Why would they use such an ugly thing as a radar when my Tesla for example has a radar that you can't see at all?
Here’s what it looks life on the golf

C511C195-DC38-4DFB-992E-DBCC89275C97.jpeg

ouch. why don't manufacturers use these kind of radar sensors that you can put behind the plastic front bumper?

Last edited:
We can clearly see from pics here it is a number plate holder

What would be the purpose of radar on a first edition?
It would be if the ADAS system was going to be on the FE models, but we've already been told it won't be. Apparently there's some new regulatory requirement that it has to be able to do next year, that the current system they have doesn't do, so that's why we're not getting it.

It would be if the ADAS system was going to be on the FE models, but we've already been told it won't be. Apparently there's some new regulatory requirement that it has to be able to do next year, that the current system they have doesn't do, so that's why we're not getting it.
Really? I'm in contact right now with the italian dealers and they are not mentioning it! Actually they are still confirming all ADAS will be in place....

The Giulia might be a special case where it could get an exception due to where the plate would be if it were in the middle. Because of the Giulia's unique design with the V intake in the front, It would seriously interfere with airflow to the radiator.

Is that the only car you can think of that has the plate mounted to the side like that?
It‘s not uncommon to see number plates mounted in creative ways in China, especially on supercars. However everyday cars do indeed have plates on roughly the same place.

The radar would be needed for the Active Cruise Control, but that isn't now going to be fitted to V6 FEs. You're right there is UK legislation that means some parts of ADAS need to be fitted in future, but not to the V6 FE given it's timing.

Lotus have confirmed ADAS won't be on the V6 FE and will be an option on later models. I guess it might be standard on the i4 FE. I'm also guessing worldwide chip supply issues may be the reason for it being left off. I wonder if the industry is lobbying for the UK legislation to be delayed, as all manufacturers will have similar problems.

Would be peeved to find ADAS on future cars if using the V6FE as a daily runner, as find it invaluable on our dailies.

You may need to stand by to be disappointed I’m afraid. ADAS is likely on future cars, as some parts will be a legal requirement in future. Whether Lotus include it all as a pack or split out into components isn’t clear yet.

You are absolutely right, I had a chat with my dealer and confirmed ADAS will not be available until......2023.

He didn't know it and had to check himself

You are absolutely right, I had a chat with my dealer and confirmed ADAS will not be available until......2023.

He didn't know it and had to check himself
I had a discussion with one of the engineers at the roadshow and learned that ADAS will probably on the i4 FE. But they are still speccing it, so as someone earlier said "It is a definite maybe." ;)

There is a person at Hethel with the job title "Head of ADAS, Emira" so I think it's definite it's coming and it's just the when that's "maybe". Future legislation means some parts of ADAS will be mandatory in some countries in a year or two.

There is a person at Hethel with the job title "Head of ADAS, Emira" so I think it's definite it's coming and it's just the when that's "maybe". Future legislation means some parts of ADAS will be mandatory in some countries in a year or two.
Interesting, but good to know the First Editions will not have ADAS.