• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone thinking twice about buying Emira?

Lotus has forever been on the verge of bankruptcy. Of course they were going to have issues. It's not surprising, it's expected. We're lucky Lotus is even able to offer the Emira. Yet, it still manages a blend of looks / feedback / comfort that is niche and unmatched! It's an instant classic. All other cars in consideration are going to give up at least one attribute to the Emira.

Lovely this Leonard… only issue for me would be I would want to
Drive it without fear of putting loads of miles on it and loosing big bucks. A normal comp with the carbon, big brakes etc would do me
For 40k less I would have to agree.
I added the CS wheels and rear spoiler and side spats to mine for less than 3.5k add on

I have just ordered a 718 GTS for Jan 23 build and March 1st delivery. PDK, 18 way sports seats, leather/alcantara , Burmester Audio ( no Bose) etc.....about £83k. I sold a GT4 earlier in the year when Lotus confirmed July build for my FEV6 Auto, so I know what I'm getting into(car wise). There are a number of attractions with the GTS, the naturally aspirated engine is a star, the seats and interior is a pleasant place to be, the engine is in the right place, the PDK is both smooth and fast. It's not a looker like the Emira but it is, relatively, compact. Steering is good but not in the Lotus class. The PDK 718 IS 4 seconds 60MPH. 2.6 seconds 50 t0 75 mph.

So my Emira may get built in April. If it does, then I will need to decide if stops or if it goes. Sorry for the pun.
Boxster or Cayman?
Did you take a cancelled slot? It was an 18 month wait earlier in the year.

I spent Friday driving a 2019 Vantage. Very impressed. As soon as I find the right deal I’ll be cancelling. I was told by CC I won’t be able to test drive the emira until next year. 11th July Deposit, May delivery.
What do you think of the drive I’ve never driven one although I have been keeping 👁 on the prices …..
I am so fickle I have never really taken that much interest in Porches over the years as think they just look bland - however with all the talk on here I’ve just been looking at the 718 GT4 and yes could live with that, but alas no local dealers have a demo is the GTS exciting drive price point looking good on a 22 plate - I can see I have hours of u tube videos I need to get up to speed with lol 😝

What do you think of the drive I’ve never driven one although I have been keeping 👁 on the prices …..
I am so fickle I have never really taken that much interest in Porches over the years as think they just look bland - however with all the talk on here I’ve just been looking at the 718 GT4 and yes could live with that, but alas no local dealers have a demo is the GTS exciting drive price point looking good on a 22 plate - I can see I have hours of u tube videos I need to get up to speed with lol 😝
Worth a drive down to Leeds. Porsche had 3 GT4’s. Ferrrari and Aston all close. Found the Vantage engine superb and felt solid. Test drive route goes through a tunnel! Can’t fault the handling.

Boxster or Cayman?
Did you take a cancelled slot? It was an 18 month wait earlier in the year.
Its the Coupe variant. Placed my deposit in May for predicted December 22 build which has now shifted to Jan 23. The Coupe is much shorter lead time than Boxster which I believe is 18 months.

I spent Friday driving a 2019 Vantage. Very impressed. As soon as I find the right deal I’ll be cancelling. I was told by CC I won’t be able to test drive the emira until next year. 11th July Deposit, May delivery.
Those were certainly on my radar, and prices have been dropping steadily. My main concern was no dealership anywhere close to me and the future of Aston being a little shaky.

The GTS PDK is faster than GT4 Manual on paper and in a straight line. But the GT4 has different suspension which makes it sharper but the rear is harsh for me. GT4 is a fine car, GTS is softer and better for long distance touring with passengers who hate firm suspension.

Those were certainly on my radar, and prices have been dropping steadily. My main concern was no dealership anywhere close to me and the future of Aston being a little shaky.

Your Main concerns about the Aston also apply to the Lotus, correct? So if that was enough to dissuade you from that car, how would you have ever been comfortable buying an Emira in the first place? :cautious:

I have just ordered a 718 GTS for Jan 23 build and March 1st delivery. PDK, 18 way sports seats, leather/alcantara , Burmester Audio ( no Bose) etc.....about £83k. I sold a GT4 earlier in the year when Lotus confirmed July build for my FEV6 Auto, so I know what I'm getting into(car wise). There are a number of attractions with the GTS, the naturally aspirated engine is a star, the seats and interior is a pleasant place to be, the engine is in the right place, the PDK is both smooth and fast. It's not a looker like the Emira but it is, relatively, compact. Steering is good but not in the Lotus class. The PDK 718 IS 4 seconds 60MPH. 2.6 seconds 50 t0 75 mph.

So my Emira may get built in April. If it does, then I will need to decide if stops or if it goes. Sorry for the pun.

Really? I was told June for GTS…. if I was lucky, just last month!!

Edit: just seen you’ve had the deposit in for 6 months…

Oooh nice! I’ll be test driving one back to back with the emira if I can… although unlikely to like the paddles, much prefer manual

I’m in line for a FE I4 but I may cancel for the 2023 M2 at MSRP at my local dealer. The emira looks better but the M2 will be a hell of a drive for 15-20k less.

Worth a drive down to Leeds. Porsche had 3 GT4’s. Ferrrari and Aston all close. Found the Vantage engine superb and felt solid. Test drive route goes through a tunnel! Can’t fault the handling.

Really? I was told June for GTS…. if I was lucky, just last month!!

Edit: just seen you’ve had the deposit in for 6 months…
I visited a couple of Porsche dealers and was told 12 months waiting list for the Cayman GTS.

Yaris GR £40k (over list prices )
Alpine £55k
Mini 306bhp John Cooper
Works Countryman £43k
Golf R £50k
BMW Mi240 £50k - £55k
Audi RS3 £68k - £73k
You can’t order RS3 again prices are already increasing again way over list
V12 Vanquish £70k.....I've prevented myself from going to look because I know what will happen 🤣

I’m in line for a FE I4 but I may cancel for the 2023 M2 at MSRP at my local dealer. The emira looks better but the M2 will be a hell of a drive for 15-20k less.
The new M2 will be a blast! Heavy, but also very powerful.

I spec’s one online with the options I want, all came to about the same as i4 FE tbh. Those carbon buckets are essential options really.

Last edited:
I had a month with my mates 2018 Vantage and it was fantastic, we did the NC500 in it and it was an absolute joy. It is our end game to be honest, so if the Emira doesn't blow us away we will probably move it on or cancel and then get a Vantage.

V12 Vanquish £70k.....I've prevented myself from going to look because I know what will happen 🤣
Got to be 2015 year as they put the 8 speed gearbox in it, if it’s older it has the average 6 speed box. I know as a few years ago this was on my wanted list before the Emira came along and Covid drove the used prices of these up and up.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back