• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone thinking twice about buying Emira?

I went to look at an Emira alternative today.
At 8.8% Apr for a brand new RS3 is simpley ludicrous for a new car even in this day of age of inflation.
it was coming out at £40 per month more with the same deposit as my "future" Emira.
An RS3 won't be happening and I have no plan C so looks like I'll be waiting another 14/18 months or so.......

View attachment 9661
Waiting it out might turn out alright, I remember the inflation rate hitting about 8% in 1988, the party carried on for a bit then there was a bad recession. I bought a new pick-up in 1991, £2k deposit then £25 a month for four years on a 0% deal. The auto company's like any other company like chancing it while they can get away with it, ie people still buying. Once the sales dry up they have to start offering incentives, after all their business is to sell cars. I don’t know how cash rich Geely are, but they certainly seem big enough to offer in house finance if the shit really hits the fan this time round

Waiting it out might turn out alright, I remember the inflation rate hitting about 8% in 1988, the party carried on for a bit then there was a bad recession. I bought a new pick-up in 1991, £2k deposit then £25 a month for four years on a 0% deal. The auto company's like any other company like chancing it while they can get away with it, ie people still buying. Once the sales dry up they have to start offering incentives, after all their business is to sell cars. I don’t know how cash rich Geely are, but they certainly seem big enough to offer in house finance if the shit really hits the fan this time round
At this stage we just need that recession that has been looming for so long

Too true.
on a positive note for Lotus/Geely they built the new production facilitys, bought the machinery and designed the car pre inflation, I would imagine that to do the same in todays world would be much more expensive and may not even have happened. All in all, things could have been a lot worse

We are fully fledged in a recession at the moment. It's just going to be a recession where you won't see as much job loss as other recessions. But consumer spending will be drastically lower. Corporations are going to see profits diminish and smaller corps will be bought up by the larger fish. A consolidation of the richer getting richer once more. Once finished, the mega corporations will be making HUGE profits and even develop much more power. Interesting couple years ahead.

I went to look at an Emira alternative today.
At 8.8% Apr for a brand new RS3 is simpley ludicrous for a new car even in this day of age of inflation.
it was coming out at £40 per month more with the same deposit as my "future" Emira.
An RS3 won't be happening and I have no plan C so looks like I'll be waiting another 14/18 months or so.......

View attachment 9661
Did you test drive it - if so what did you think 💭

We are fully fledged in a recession at the moment. It's just going to be a recession where you won't see as much job loss as other recessions. But consumer spending will be drastically lower. Corporations are going to see profits diminish and smaller corps will be bought up by the larger fish. A consolidation of the richer getting richer once more. Once finished, the mega corporations will be making HUGE profits and even develop much more power. Interesting couple years ahead.
Living at the bottom end im not sure i'd call yet more wealth transfer 'Interesting' 😅

Had a very quick test ride of the Alpine 110 and happy to say it did make me smile 😃 Love the look from the back end not so keen on the front end look - but for something that you can pick up new from £52k onwards not bad at all going to be very interesting how the Emira stacks up

Attachments

• 7CDA3126-6945-45CC-B7D9-25F6F49168CF.jpeg
    7CDA3126-6945-45CC-B7D9-25F6F49168CF.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 54
  • C47A4AED-4E6C-44D1-9B95-7147544B0D7B.jpeg
    C47A4AED-4E6C-44D1-9B95-7147544B0D7B.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 54
  • D72AEB49-2769-490E-B97F-DC7888044D86.jpeg
    D72AEB49-2769-490E-B97F-DC7888044D86.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 52
Did you test drive it - if so what did you think 💭
Yes it was a raw yet comfy (for me) experience. It felt light and tight and fast.
Obviously I didn't live with it for long but I didn't miss any creature comforts it had everything you really need. Visibility was so so due to the carbon rear engine cover, but you would get used to it.
The exhaust note was amazing, truly amazing and I hope the Emira can be tweaked to be the same (I cant see why not)
Happily have one if the Emira feels a little blunt/bloated in comparison.
Would like to try an Exige next to see if I can handle more compromise for even bigger smiles 🙂

These RS3’s are nice but I still can’t get into my head that hot hatches are circa 60k+ just not worth it and not special enough. Blend into the crowd these (great if you like that)

Had a very quick test ride of the Alpine 110 and happy to say it did make me smile 😃 Love the look from the back end not so keen on the front end look - but for something that you can pick up new from £52k onwards not bad at all going to be very interesting how the Emira stacks up
Love the look of that silver one.
On the list to try and have no doubt be amazing, just not quite ready for an auto yet and I think it has even less luggage room than the Emira doesn't it!? 😵‍💫

These RS3’s are nice but I still can’t get into my head that hot hatches are circa 60k+ just not worth it and not special enough. Blend into the crowd these (great if you like that)
To be honest I just can’t get my head around the fact that hot hatches are no longer manual for the most part. It’s why nothing is really enticing me away from my Civic Type R. I don’t hate autos, I have driven a few and almost bought an A110 before the Emira reveal, I just think part of a hot hatch formula is a manual. Obviously the market disagrees though!

When I test drove it I thought yearh I’d give you £35k for one certainly in my eyes not £60k car or £60k of fun but boring and looked bland and plastic inside cabin not premium

Love the look of that silver one.
On the list to try and have no doubt be amazing, just not quite ready for an auto yet and I think it has even less luggage room than the Emira doesn't it!? 😵‍💫
Yes looked less space but that’s fine for me as get groceries delivered lol mind you I’m learning golf ⛳️ at mo hum something to consider

Yes it was a raw yet comfy (for me) experience. It felt light and tight and fast.
Obviously I didn't live with it for long but I didn't miss any creature comforts it had everything you really need. Visibility was so so due to the carbon rear engine cover, but you would get used to it.
The exhaust note was amazing, truly amazing and I hope the Emira can be tweaked to be the same (I cant see why not)
Happily have one if the Emira feels a little blunt/bloated in comparison.
Would like to try an Exige next to see if I can handle more compromise for even bigger smiles 🙂
Leonard which car are you talking about ?

Hot hatches are £35k tops for me or maybe I’m showing my age (38).

Just don’t understand the world where they are plus £50k I’m not bowled over by the A110 but it’s starting to appeal to me.

My hobby seems to be scouring autotrader. To be honest not many interesting contenders for worthy money. Was never an exige s3 fan or Evie’s to be honest. Don’t like the proportions of the exige and the Evora to me always looked wrong.

FK8 civic type r a nice motor and manual for reasonable money along with M2 comp. To be fair you could have both on your drive (FK8 and A110) for the price of an Emira

Hot hatches are £35k tops for me or maybe I’m showing my age (38).

Just don’t understand the world where they are plus £50k I’m not bowled over by the A110 but it’s starting to appeal to me.

My hobby seems to be scouring autotrader. To be honest not many interesting contenders for worthy money. Was never an exige s3 fan or Evie’s to be honest. Don’t like the proportions of the exige and the Evora to me always looked wrong.

FK8 civic type r a nice motor and manual for reasonable money along with M2 comp. To be fair you could have both on your drive (FK8 and A110) for the price of an Emira
I'm with you 45k plus for a hatchback is questionable. I thought the AM5 AMG used to get away with it because of the hand-built engine. But 45k+ for a Golf R or an S3 with the std 2.0 tsi that's in a million VAG products
Why I actually thought the Yaris was a good buy considering how bespoke it is.

I had a GR circuit on order from Oakmere but turned it down and let someone else have it without buying and flipping due to Emira due originally in “Autumn” wish I had kept it coming now. Will stick to my cheap 25yr old boxster while the market for used and new finds its new benchmark and will keep on with the Emira.

Only thing that will stop me from piling my deposit back is a price increase. If this happens then I may evaluate and turn my attention to something else

Last edited:

Two car garage for price of Emira ?

Two car garage for price of Emira ?
You’ve also got to take into account that the Emira is brand new?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back