• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

DIY - Oil Change Reference for 2GR-FE

I have the ratchet and its great but very easy to over torque to 30ft lbs til it stops. If you have it set to tighten by mistake on a small fastener you'll regret it. (Done that more than once) I'd highly recommend their M12 cordless screwdriver/driver (or similar brand if have batteries for that brand). It has variable max torque settings so you dont accidently strip screws and small bolts out. For the undertrays I used about a '3-6' setting on the tool then go back and finish tightening them by hand.
Amazon link
Good idea however it depends how much room you have to work under the Emira. The screwdriver/driver you reference takes up more space, compared to the ratchet. If you're working under a 4-post lift, then for sure it's better to control the torque with the screwdriver/driver. If space is at a premium, the ratchet would likely work better and then you'll have to take extra care with torque.

Either way, your comments about overtorquing are a good warning and appreciated.

Note: one other difference, not that it'll matter much to most, is the ratchet weighs in at 16 oz (a pound) whereas the screwdriver/driver weighs 1.95 pounds (almost double).

BTW and I may have mentioned this before (?), I love your avatar, which reminds me of how I'm feeling while driving my Emira sometimes (lol).

A couple of observations on DYI oil change.

As you guys know, the 7mm hex bolts pictured below have to be removed. These bolts attach to zinc coated bolt clips and these are not the same bolt clips used on earlier Lotus...They are kinda flimsy.

These clips are the attachment point for all the 7mm bolts with the black washers. Anyone doing their own oil change needs to be extra careful when reinstalling the diffuser tray to line up the bolt clip so as to not bend or deform the bolt clip. I bent one and had to remove the entire under-tray in order to straighten it out and reattach. PITA b/c of crappy hardware.

After getting it down for the second time, I put a light coating of WD40 on all the bolt clips and that seemed to do the trick. All the 7mm bolts went into place without any drama. Torqued to spec and all good.

I'm ordering a few extra bolt clips from my dealer b/c its clear to me the hardware isn't up to the repeated abuse that it'll see over the life of the car and eventually spares will be needed.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 10.35.23.png

Undertray.png

A couple of observations on DYI oil change.

As you guys know, the 7mm hex bolts pictured below have to be removed. These bolts attach to zinc coated bolt clips and these are not the same bolt clips used on earlier Lotus...They are kinda flimsy.

These clips are the attachment point for all the 7mm bolts with the black washers. Anyone doing their own oil change needs to be extra careful when reinstalling the diffuser tray to line up the bolt clip so as to not bend or deform the bolt clip. I bent one and had to remove the entire under-tray in order to straighten it out and reattach. PITA b/c of crappy hardware.

After getting it down for the second time, I put a light coating of WD40 on all the bolt clips and that seemed to do the trick. All the 7mm bolts went into place without any drama. Torqued to spec and all good.

I'm ordering a few extra bolt clips from my dealer b/c its clear to me the hardware isn't up to the repeated abuse that it'll see over the life of the car and eventually spares will be needed.

View attachment 52367

View attachment 52366
Do you know the part number for those clips?

Do you know the part number for those clips?
Nope...Just asked my dealer to order me a few spares. they didn't have any in stock and said Lotus has them on back order. so it might be some time b/f they come it.

It should be a standard M6 bolt clip. there are stainless ones you can get on amazon if needed while we wait

Nope...Just asked my dealer to order me a few spares. they didn't have any in stock and said Lotus has them on back order. so it might be some time b/f they come it.

It should be a standard M6 bolt clip. there are stainless ones you can get on amazon if needed while we wait

I've made various hardware purchases with McMaster-Carr (including clips similar to what you are looking for) with good results. They many times will show a CAD drawing of their items. Maybe they have an alternative readily available for your needs.

What’s the point of the magnetic drain plug? So you don’t accidentally drop the plug in with the old oil?

What’s the point of the magnetic drain plug? So you don’t accidentally drop the plug in with the old oil?
any ferrous material that ends up in the oil will either make it up in to the filter or settle at the bottom of the pan. the magnet on the drain plug helps to "collect" most of that ferrous debris at the tip of the plug. when you change your oil, you can actually see if you have observable ferrous debris, and then it's easy to clean off or, if significant, you can collect it and have it analyzed to see what's going on in the engine. without the magnet, it will just end up elsewhere.

keep in mind that if something is large enough for you to see with your eyes, it may not show up at all during a used oil analysis, which only tests the chemistry and microscopic content of the oil.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back