• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Do you notice a ticking noise during acceleration?

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I am loving the Emira and at this point I'm just looking into a few small quirks that are somewhat annoying to see if they are normal or exceptions. One such thing is that whenever I accelerate (doesn't matter if it's light or hard acceleration), I notice a subtle ticking noise that I THINK is coming from behind me somewhere. It's difficult to determine the source and I'm going to have to let someone else drive while I try to locate it. The noise doesn't happen when I'm not accelerating so I'm thinking it's either something within the engine or just something in the car that vibrates only during acceleration.

At any rate, I've heard at least 2-3 others report this on Facebook or in this forum so I wanted to put it out there...do you notice this noise and if so, have you been able to identify or address it? It somewhat detracts from the otherwise glorious supercharger and exhaust notes from the engine under normal acceleration.

Thanks in advance!

I've had my Emira for just over a year now and this problem came very early on. Mine happens when I acclerate in any gear, but worse in 5th & 6th.

I have had no fix on it yet. The local dealer here has no idea but has had several cars report this.

So what I found to decrease the annoying sound is an adjustment while driving. The sound is the worse when on the highway in 5th and 6th gears while accelerating. So now, as I shift into 5th or 6th gear, i also pull the shift knob to the left as soon as it enters the gate. It stays there on its own and the ticking goes away. I still plan to have the dealer try and address it before I try and find a fix.

It has nothing to do with which gear we’re on. It’s just a certain frequency resonates more with the cable and makes it vibrates. It’s more noticeable if you’re under-geared and accelerating.

I also have this and it's more prominent when I am at low RPMs in any gear and accelerate.

It's annoying yes, but not soo bad that I need to make a special trip to the dealer. Would love it there is a fix of course.

Ryan G

Also noticed this ticking noise while driving my car to the tint shop and back. It's not terrible but still kind of annoying. Everything is loud in this car, therefore making this noise less noticeable. Will talk to the dealer about this tomorrow and see if they have any better idea.

This happened to be yesterday as I was driving to the dealer to drop my car off for 2 new doors…….Most noticeable at around 2.5k revs and particularly in a high gear. Appear to be something to do with the resonance around this level.

Tech jumped in the car with me and Sod’s Law, no sound. His thought was that it could have been a vibration coming from the passager seat, but as he was sat in it, the vibration wasn’t present. Said he’d take it out on his own to have a listen. Hopefully he’ll find the source of the noise or it’s magically gone away 😂

Last edited:
Update: test drove with a service advisor today and confirmed the noise. Scheduled a service appointment next week to have the shifter checked by a technician.

Well, I've had my Emira for 2 months and I didn't notice the tickling/rattling noise the first month. Perhaps I was just to giddy about finally having it. Well, over the past month, I've noticed the same noise as described here on accelerating on the highway. I recorded the noise. ()

@allenyao09 - I eagerly wait to hear the results of your service visit.

Thanks all.

PS - Loving the Emira and it's great to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

My car is also at the dealer currently to have this addressed 🤞. The noise on my car got louder right after I hit about 1k miles and it really started to drive me nuts

Mine got louder after 1k miles as well. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, as they are 4hrs away.. I am just going to deal with it for now until it gets worse.. Unless they have an actual solution.

Ryan G

@CK99 It seems my dealer doesn't want to deal with this issue. I test drove with a technician and confirmed this noise. But they are still saying they cannot duplicate this noise. :rolleyes:

@Bimmernate Let me know if had any luck with you dealer.

1722054191857.png

@CK99 It seems my dealer doesn't want to deal with this issue. I test drove with a technician and confirmed this noise. But they are still saying they cannot duplicate this noise. :rolleyes:

View attachment 48377
Yeah I mean it’s a confirmed issue that lotus is aware of. My car has been out for a month now for this so I really hope it’s resolved when I get it back

View attachment 48377
What a bunch of cucks. Tell them to drive it and they will hear it lol.

Yeah I mean it’s a confirmed issue that lotus is aware of. My car has been out for a month now for this so I really hope it’s resolved when I get it back

I was told all new shifter cables would fix it, that or finding the sweet spot when adjusting them. I declined the new cables as it would involve gutting a decent amount of the interior.

I was told all new shifter cables would fix it, that or finding the sweet spot when adjusting them. I declined the new cables as it would involve gutting a decent amount of the interior.
I was told the same, they are replacing my crossgate cable with a new cable. It got to the point to where I could not enjoy the car with the annoying noise