• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Do you notice a ticking noise during acceleration?

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I am loving the Emira and at this point I'm just looking into a few small quirks that are somewhat annoying to see if they are normal or exceptions. One such thing is that whenever I accelerate (doesn't matter if it's light or hard acceleration), I notice a subtle ticking noise that I THINK is coming from behind me somewhere. It's difficult to determine the source and I'm going to have to let someone else drive while I try to locate it. The noise doesn't happen when I'm not accelerating so I'm thinking it's either something within the engine or just something in the car that vibrates only during acceleration.

At any rate, I've heard at least 2-3 others report this on Facebook or in this forum so I wanted to put it out there...do you notice this noise and if so, have you been able to identify or address it? It somewhat detracts from the otherwise glorious supercharger and exhaust notes from the engine under normal acceleration.

Thanks in advance!

Can confirm the ticking noise, i'm pretty convinced it's not coming from drivetrain or stick shift chamber.
* it is heard when applying gas on high gears on low revs
* goes away at higher rpms (although it definitely would drown in the sound of the engine)
* can go away if the load on the engine is decreased at the same rpms (for ex, when you start driving downhill).

To me it all indicates the normal work of the engine when it is lugged a little bit.
I am not worried about it, partially because "extra" sounds can be heard on other engines in similar conditions.

Can confirm the ticking noise, i'm pretty convinced it's not coming from drivetrain or stick shift chamber.
* it is heard when applying gas on high gears on low revs
* goes away at higher rpms (although it definitely would drown in the sound of the engine)
* can go away if the load on the engine is decreased at the same rpms (for ex, when you start driving downhill).

To me it all indicates the normal work of the engine when it is lugged a little bit.
I am not worried about it, partially because "extra" sounds can be heard on other engines in similar conditions.
what you are describing is the same noise that is discussed in this thread. It is coming from the exposed gear shift area. Likely crossgate cable to be more specific. It occurs mostly in higher gears between 2-3k RPMs while accelerating, but can happen in any gear. If you move the shifter laterally while accelerating, the noise will go away. The "fix" is supposedly adjustment of the cable, or replacement. Some people's noise is louder or slightly more prevalent over multiple gears than others, but it certainly is coming from the exposed shifter area. In my car, the noise got louder over time and became extremely annoying and definitely not normal (i've been in other emiras...no noise). I did speak with a lotus service engineer who said this is a known issue and it has been fixed on several cars (yet no one has posted on this forum yet confirming they have had the issue resolved).

what you are describing is the same noise that is discussed in this thread. It is coming from the exposed gear shift area. Likely crossgate cable to be more specific. It occurs mostly in higher gears between 2-3k RPMs while accelerating, but can happen in any gear. If you move the shifter laterally while accelerating, the noise will go away. The "fix" is supposedly adjustment of the cable, or replacement. Some people's noise is louder or slightly more prevalent over multiple gears than others, but it certainly is coming from the exposed shifter area. In my car, the noise got louder over time and became extremely annoying and definitely not normal (i've been in other emiras...no noise). I did speak with a lotus service engineer who said this is a known issue and it has been fixed on several cars (yet no one has posted on this forum yet confirming they have had the issue resolved).
Why would it go away when you decrease the load on the engine, while keeping the same rpm?

Why would it go away when you decrease the load on the engine, while keeping the same rpm?
im not sure, it just has to do with how the cables vibrate/resonate which depends on engine load/RPM. Not really sure why it matters if it goes away when going down a hill, the car shouldn't have the noise to begin with. Sometimes i go up hills too. haha

Update: dropped my car off again for the fix.

Somehow the technician found the noise was coming from the dash. He did try to insulate the where the noise is coming from but it did not completely take care of it. They are also working with Lotus on this problem.

But the noise would go away with any lateral pressure on the shift knob. I'm not sure how this is related to the dash.

The rattle noise in my car seems to be intermittent, and somehow improving? I'm close to 900 miles and it's thankfully happening less often.
I found it changing as well. It was present in every gear but now it is much quieter in 3rd and 4th gear. 5th and 6th gear 2-3k rpm are the worst.

Update: dropped my car off again for the fix.

Somehow the technician found the noise was coming from the dash. He did try to insulate the where the noise is coming from but it did not completely take care of it. They are also working with Lotus on this problem.

But the noise would go away with any lateral pressure on the shift knob. I'm not sure how this is related to the dash.
I don’t think it’s related to the dash at all… I think that’s just straight up wrong. It is confirmed to be from crossgate cable

:confused: This is what I told my service advisor and technician. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.
Eagerly awaiting the news. Mine seems to be getting louder and more annoying at 3,100 miles. I would like to have this addressed on my next service visit but I don't want them messing with the interior bits unless we have a confirmed fix.

Eagerly awaiting the news. Mine seems to be getting louder and more annoying at 3,100 miles. I would like to have this addressed on my next service visit but I don't want them messing with the interior bits unless we have a confirmed fix.
So the technician did the road test again and confirmed the noise is coming from the shifter. My dealer has sent emails to Lotus tech department for further directions but hasn't heard back yet. It seems this is the first time they work on this issue.

I'm planning to have my ticking noise addressed during my first service visit if at all possible but yes, a confirmed resolution or two would be nice if anyone has had this successfully eliminated.