• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira alternatives

Wow! That is sexy. Love those rims and the yellow calipers. This is my old 911 turbo below.
Thank you! I haven't driven it in ages due to weather and also bought some upgraded aero bits and had them painted body color, so I've been waiting for those to cure and ppf and install. It's been tough seeing it in the shop just sitting for so long!
LOVE LOVE LOVE your old Turbo. One of my dream cars, honestly!

Don't do the f-type:confused:..... That is a significant step down from an Emira... Surely, the i4 would be the better option here. You can tune those AMG engines to some pretty good numbers as well....

Don't want to sound rude - as that wasn't my intention. Best of luck in any car you choose Tony!
Remember our mantra, horsepower goes fast in the straights, lightness goes fast everywhere.

f type 1,595 Kg
emira 1,458 kg

Not exactly poles apart
I had a F-Type S for three years as my daily and I am a big fan of it!

From my experience the driving experience is lightyears apart. The F-Type S has a bit harder ride than the Emira (Tour) I wonder why, other than pseudo-sporty impressions?. It also feels a lot less agile in corners and much more chubby. Throttle response and steering feel help underline that impression.

Also I think that the 1598kg figure is the marketing number (if I remember) and the Emira weight is by now confirmed to be real.

What is also often forgotten is that the Emira is equipped to be better at handling long durations of spirited driving (don't want to say track day until we have confirmed that). The AP racing brakes can handle a lot and will probably barely fade at all under load, same for the temperature management of the car. Lotus has been excellent with this in the last 10 years, probably only matched by the Porsche GT line up. Literally the car you can drive to a track day and hammer it all day. (Emira still needs to stand up to this statement)

Try that with the F-Type. 😅😇

But again, both cars are lovely. Just very different besides the price tag.

Asked for my deposit back before a new credit card was issued. I sat in a 18 month old f type p450 and it looked good and the interior was just excellent, coupled with a 56k price for an 11k miler it seems a no brainer , provided it drives decent which I'll test soon. Plus it can be tuned easily to 600hp.
My son has a v6 F-Type with loads of carbon. I am lucky enough to be able to drive it as and when I wish...and it is an absolute hoot and, though I know its not to everyones tastes, I do particularly love the hooligan pops bangs and farts it makes, never mind the fire out the exhaust when in the following vehicle...enjoy!

I was anti vette for a while after a very short 1lt test drive. It just left me feeling unimpressed but I got to test drive a 2lt and really take it out for an extended time. I was able to push it and Rev it out. I officially admit I was wrong. The car is amazing. I just bought one 2023 2lt 78k little over msrp but best deal i could find. Had to get it shipped from NJ to TX. They are still listed in the 90s and 100s around me. Taking delivery today or tomorrow. Lotus probably won't be ready until 2030 so this will be my baby until then.

Welldone. Great choice, undervalued car!

Lol if the emira weighed that you'd all be going nuts but it's fine for the jag, 150kilos nothing 🤣

I like the f type BTW
2021 P450 F-type weighs 1705KG (RWD) - 1855 KG (AWD Convertible) - That is a lot of weight difference to an Emira. Shocking actually for the size of an f-type.

250KG is not small. Makes Emira even more impressive.

This is still the 911 to me. When I think 911, I think this. This is one of my all time favorite cars especially the Ruf Porsche 911s. Why did you get rid of it?
Why did I get rid of it? I wish that I still had it. When I bought the car I had zero clue about what problems to look for when buying a old Porsche. I did not have a leak down test completed before I bought it. I raced a old M3 and it smoked me. I new something was wrong. I took it to the mechanic and was informed that it had two cylinders with low compression. I ended up having the motor built out to 500hp and just the build cost me $25000. After a few hill climb events the motor needed to be rebuilt again. It just kind of turned into a money pit. Someone in Canada bought it. I shipped it by train to Canada. It was a very raw car and the race clutch was a serious workout.

Everyone's saying Emira weighs too much, at least that's what is always coming up when you read reviews. Elise of old weighed only the half, lalala.

But in comparison to today's current lineup of cars I think it's still rather on the lighter side as also EVO ecoty revealed.
IIRC the MC was 1700kg with full carbon tub, the Artura was 1584kg, the 296GT 1660kg. New M4 and also M2 will also be around the 1700kg mark.

So 1450-1480kg is on the lighter side of sportscar weights, GT 4 RS with PCCB was 1460kg. 992 GT3 with PDK is at 1480kg, with full fuel tank.

Considerably lighter is only a GR86 (1287kg) or an Alpine 110 (1100-1120kg) which is quite an achievement.

Lol if the emira weighed that you'd all be going nuts but it's fine for the jag, 150kilos nothing 🤣

I like the f type BTW
The new BMW M2 weighs 1730kg... cars are getting heavier, way of the world unfortunately. Manufacturers really should do more here to reverse the weight gain. @TomAce beat me 🙂

I had considered an F Type previously but ruled it out due to no decent manual box.
If you are after an auto though it makes a lot of sense.

If you actually start to compare Emira to FType the Ftype arguably wins on everything bar steering feel and that slight weight difference 😶‍🌫️

Fact you can pick up a nearly new loaded car with 450bhp and further room for easy tuning as required for £60k makes it a compelling argument in the UK.

If you actually start to compare Emira to FType the Ftype arguably wins on everything bar steering feel and that slight weight difference 😶‍🌫️

I think the "how it makes you feel" factor is hard to compare and a matter of personal preference obviously.

Many potential buyers of 2 seater sportscars would probably argue that a mid engined layout and the visual stance of the Emira is a big plus for the Lotus. But that is hard to measure if comparing the cars in theory.

It's like comparing the Vantage to a McLaren. Just at a more affordable level. 🙂

The new BMW M2 weighs 1730kg... cars are getting heavier, way of the world unfortunately. Manufacturers really should do more here to reverse the weight gain. @TomAce beat me 🙂

I had considered an F Type previously but ruled it out due to no decent manual box.
If you are after an auto though it makes a lot of sense.

Fact you can pick up a nearly new loaded car with 450bhp and further room for easy tuning as required for £60k makes it a compelling argument in the UK.
errrr...

250KG weight penalty
the 4 pot F-type starts at 62K Pounds. @ 300 BHP

So it's up on weight, down on power, up on price vs the AMG i4. Looks are subjective so I will leave it there. One is more sports car the other more GT.

The only thing the F-type does better is probably luggage capacity and maybe comfort?

Sorry Leonard, perhaps in the pre-owned market, but new for new the base Emira will outsell a base F-type 3 to 1 if not more, easily. ** if Lotus could actually build that many ... haha

I think the "how it makes you feel" factor is hard to compare and a matter of personal preference obviously.

Many potential buyers of 2 seater sportscars would probably argue that a mid engined layout and the visual stance of the Emira is a big plus for the Lotus. But that is hard to measure if comparing the cars in theory.

It's like comparing the Vantage to a McLaren. Just at a more affordable level. 🙂
100%
Goes back to the Emira being greater than the sum of its parts 🏆

errrr...

250KG weight penalty
the 4 pot F-type starts at 62K Pounds. @ 300 BHP

So it's up on weight, down on power, up on price vs the AMG i4. Looks are subjective so I will leave it there. One is more sports car the other more GT.

The only thing the F-type does better is probably luggage capacity and maybe comfort?

Sorry Leonard, perhaps in the pre-owned market, but new for new the a base Emira will outsell a base F-type 3 to 1 if not more, easily.
I was only comparing nearly new to new 😉
60k for a 2022 V8 450

I had a '22 F-type R on order last year. Well, shoot....I guess it was Sept 2021. My have the Emira years flown by!
Anyway, it was gonna be Firenze red with ivory interior. All options checked. I changed my mind about it as I really felt I may have been convincing myself I loved the new front end more than I did, I was reading about all kinds of JLR issues (possible bankruptcy), and at $120k new, I didn't feel like taking a huge depreciation tsunami in a year, especially with the Emira on order. So I backed out and they wouldn't even refund my $5k deposit. Nice, huh?

I do still wonder about that car... The R's I test drove were extremely fun and although the pops and gurgles of the last gen were not nearly as raucous, the car still sounded unreal.

****Shoot! I just realized this isn't the right thread. Mods...please redirect all of these F-type convos to the right thread. Sorry about that, again!

Thanks for the self moderating! Moved these to the Emira Alternatives thread. -VL3X

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back