Emira alternatives

I am going to test drive a used one today. I would only ever buy from a main dealer for the security of the warranty and then it can be extended every year so just factor that into the ownership cost and then itā€™s risk free

Emira alternatives

Half in half out on the Emira and I was so excited about it after Goodwood 2021 deposit. Should add I still think itā€™s an awesome car and I think thereā€™s too much negativity on the forums about the car/Lotus but can also see peopleā€™s frustrations.

Quite a few things are effecting my decision but namely:

- Mixed reviews
- Residuals maybe not seeming as good as I thought they would be (time will tell)
- Too much time has passed/delays
- lack of info on base pricing/i4 info
- having my spec locked in for 9 months and not being able to make changes I want.
- spending too much time reading negative comments on the Forums possibly swaying my mind more than it should.

Anyways, as a result Iā€™ve found myself starting to look on Autotrader a lot more.

Still feel the 2nd hand market is V inflated, but prices are definitely dropping, just not pre Covid levels yet and donā€™t want to catch a falling knife.

Is now the time to buy before we hit the spring/summer market or do people see the market dropping further?

Wanted to get some opinions on the below alternatives Iā€™m considering and see what others are looking at. I should add I havenā€™t driven any of the below. 34 years old, moved out of London, so this will be my first proper sports car hence the intrigue Got a Caterham 420R but classed that as more of a toy.

Sensible options

911 991.2 GTS - awesome car and could do with the extra two seats. Prices still quite inflated but dropping. Amazing reviews and should hold value well.

Jag f type SVR - almost half original price for a 2017/2018 20-30k miles. So better value than the Porsche but maybe more of a GT but sounds great.

BMW M4. Another with 4 seats, but canā€™t say I love it.

Used Emira- if residuals aren't holding well, is the sensible thing to do, wait for volumes to increase and pick up a 6m- 1 y Emira with a nice discount

Less sensible options

Mclaren 570 or 650 s

Seem very good value, considering the 650s was plus Ā£220k + new. Also, sounds like could be nearing the bottom of the deprecation curve after losing near 60% of new value. HOWEVER have heard horror stories on reliability etc. But would the lack of depreciation not off set thisā€¦ā€¦.

Aston Martin Vantage ( new model)

Actually really like this car but canā€™t get on with the interior, seems very dated. Servicing expensive and likely more to depreciate.

Iā€™d imagine any of the above options, as used buys will likely depreciate, slower than the New Emira, especially if approx 35% depreciation after 3 years as others have quoted happens. I think the Emira will hold its value better than that on looks alone but who knows. Imagine a 2018 Porsche as a comparison would probably depreciate about 18% over 3 years in comparison.

The problem I keep coming back to, is I donā€™t think any of the above look as good as the Emira which is a big part of the car for me. In fact I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen many cars ever that look good as the Emira. Could wait for the base I4, so can spec how i want, as the ā€œspecial first editionā€ badge has totally lost all appeal for me and canā€™t believe they are still being offered today (all it seems to get you is a crappy stereo and some other options I wouldnā€™t normally spec). I have two deposits down, but the base i4 is Q2 2024.

Analysis paralysis which is why thought I get others thoughts . Head and heart, not sure whoā€™s going to win yetā€¦..

Need to get some test drives booked in ASAP. Emira due in March!
Hi
I have a V6 FE on order with anticipated build in Q2 2024. I test drove a year old F Type P450 which was a great car and sounded great, but ended up buying a year old M4 Comp. I have had this for a couple of months and it is great fun but care needed as RWD and easy to slip the back end out in damp conditions!! My plan is to leave my order in and decide nearer the time what to do. I really want the Emira but if the build is further delayed much beyond 2 years from order, then I may change my mind. My Emira test drive was on a very wet day in Sussex, so may go back for another one when the weather improves!

I am going to test drive a used one today. I would only ever buy from a main dealer for the security of the warranty and then it can be extended every year so just factor that into the ownership cost and then itā€™s risk free
...if you can afford the consumables... (the comments around the brakes alone quickly brought my own daydreaming back to reality. Go for it if you can bear the cost (y))

This is very specifically the reason for non-rich people not to buy a McLaren. Unless you have the kind of "F you" money to drop $10k on basic maintenance without thinking about it for more than 10 seconds, it's probably not a smart buy.

One of the appealing things about Lotus to me is that they use mostly off-the-shelf components from major auto and motorsport manufacturers, which makes basic maintenance cost (mostly) normal car prices.

That's unfortunately not true for any of the supercar manufacturers.
I agree with the OEM alternatives available for Lotus aftermarket, however, Iā€™m not 100% convinced that McLarenā€™s are junk and break all the time. Iā€™m not the kind of person that treats my toys with reckless abandon so scheduled maintenance should last a while. Unless I truly am missing something, $2k a yr doesnā€™t sound bad.

Attachments

• AE79F748-478F-4832-98CC-349FC9569A1C.png
    AE79F748-478F-4832-98CC-349FC9569A1C.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 35
I agree with the OEM alternatives available for Lotus aftermarket, however, Iā€™m not 100% convinced that McLarenā€™s are junk and break all the time. Iā€™m not the kind of person that treats my toys with reckless abandon so scheduled maintenance should last a while. Unless I truly am missing something, $2k a yr doesnā€™t sound bad.

From my research, it seems like the 17+ 570s are very reliable. As with any vehicle, there are some issues to look out for though.. plenty of YouTube videos covering those potential trouble spots.

Just know that everytime I see your screen name, all I can hear in my head is "catch a cow" šŸ®
lol - Just know it's pretty evident that Googling is apparently a complex skill and languages don't seem to be your strength.

From my research, it seems like the 17+ 570s are very reliable. As with any vehicle, there are some issues to look out for though.. plenty of YouTube videos covering those potential trouble spots.
I recall seeing something about an aftermarket battery attachment that solves a common dead battery issue in McLarens. The video was by a shop that specializes in McLaren service and parts.

Did you miss where the new Artura car's were catching on fire?

Did you miss where the new Artura car's were catching on fire?

Haha, yes, I saw that... Shortly after I test drove one too. I was referring to the 570s be fairly reliable. That twin turbo v8 is pretty great. Can't speak for the Artura's hybrid setup. Though it was a blast to drive!

Hey hey, I'm not saying that McLarens are junk. Far from it, they are stellar vehicles and I'd be proud to own one if I had the budget. But the component costs are astronomical when you do need to replace something, even a consumable like brakes.

Oil changes at $2k are pretty wild as well if you really think through it. Literally oil, a filter, and apparently they are doing a cabin air filter and wiper blades. For two thousand dollars. Hell, a brake job for $10k almost seems like value compared to a $2k oil change and tire kick.

At the prices they are describing for a brake refresh, it's literally cheaper to buy a nice 2-post Bend-Pak garage lift and have it installed in your home garage, buy the brake components from the OE suppliers, buy all the service tools you need, and install it all yourself in your own now-fully-outfitted luxury garage. šŸ¤Æ

lol - Just know it's pretty evident that Googling is apparently a complex skill and languages don't seem to be your strength.
Languages, no. The English language, better than most. šŸ„ø
Both of you - back down on the sniping at each other or take a break or weā€™ll give you an enforced break. Play nicely.

Has anyone driven the Mercedes Benz AMG GT R . If so what are your thoughts on it. I currently have the Jaguar F type SVR it's a very powerful car but I want something new . I'm curious if it's the same as a FType since design wise it's pretty similar with a long hood and such . I'm thinking about just getting the GTR instead of the Emira

Has anyone driven the Mercedes Benz AMG GT R . If so what are your thoughts on it. I currently have the Jaguar F type SVR it's a very powerful car but I want something new . I'm curious if it's the same as a FType since design wise it's pretty similar with a long hood and such . I'm thinking about just getting the GTR instead of the Emira
I've owned the Merc GTR and driven several F Type's and in my opinion they are different cars altogether....a bit like M3 vs C63.

The GTR is super focused and agile whereas I found the F Type to have a loose rear end that's fun for drifting and general laughs.

Both are great GT cars and it depends on your use as to which one is 'better'. But for me the GTR was the best of everything. Fast, comfortable, useable on track, less common (?). The F Type is also all of these but dialled down a bit on track, but dialled up for hooligan status!

A week into McLaren ownership never wanted to drive a car so much its not all about speed which it as in abundance itā€™s an amazing all rounder. Let me know how you get on with your test drive.
E25F2D86-47E2-414B-8609-A5A0C596FF0A.jpeg

A week into McLaren ownership never wanted to drive a car so much its not all about speed which it as in abundance itā€™s an amazing all rounder. Let me know how you get on with your test drive.View attachment 22474
570 test drive done and love it.
the thing I found odd was the accelerate seems a bit ā€œstickyā€ - when pulling away you have to press the pedal a bit more/ harder than expected before the car moves- I guess you get used to it.

Anyway 80k emira no thanks - I am cancelling . Still torn between 90k Aston or 95-100k 570 - very different cars both I loved both in different ways - the Aston actually made me laugh out loud more!
First world problems but first decision now made to cancel the Emira and although it has taken a lot to get to that position mentally, I am at peace with it.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back