• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira looks

The same way I do not care about Gucci and other useless brands.
...You're comparing Ferrari, an iconic automobile brand with nearly 100 years of motor racing pedigree who produce some of the finest road cars in the world with a badge on an overpriced (but possibly good-looking) handbag.

Actually... maybe my argument has come full-circle here: Emira is the Gucci handbag? 😜

...You're comparing Ferrari, an iconic automobile brand with nearly 100 years of motor racing pedigree who produce some of the finest road cars in the world with a badge on an overpriced (but possibly good-looking) handbag.

Actually... maybe my argument has come full-circle here: Emira is the Gucci handbag? 😜
Pricing, I compare pricing and targeting only wealthy clients by those companies.

For instance Kef who does speakers for Emira, has full range of products. From budget speakers to £180000 Muon.

Reading this thread is like watching a man repeatedly punching himself in the dick.

Some of you need a gut check, or a life that's not so focused on status. Lotus has never been a status brand, it's for weirdos who love to drive. If that's not you, and you're more worried about how much money people think you have or how "authentic" your shitty Rolex (or other luxury good) is, well, maybe you're simply never going to be happy, with a car or anything else. Go sit on a mountaintop until you find purpose.

Where it distinguished itself from a Ferrari is the price point, reliability, and maintainability.
I'd like to take issue with this a little, because I've seen this peddled frequently (and by Lotus themselves, pushing the Emira as the 'usable' supercar). True, Ferraris of old had a reputation for poor reliability (but actually now, compared with other classics, old Ferraris actually come out quite well.)

But a modern Ferrari comes with a three year unlimited miles warranty and seven years servicing included in the price. That seven years' servicing goes with the car - it's transferred to the new owner if you sell it. So apart from consumables and an MOT, most owners spend nothing whatsoever on maintenance.

Modern Ferraris are also very well-built and reliable. There are 458s out there going strong with 250k miles on the clock. They can absolutely be driven daily (well, if you can stomach the depreciation).

They're also pretty practical. A 488 has 230 litres of really usable luggage capacity in its frunk (more than a 911), plus a whatever you can fit behind the seats depending on how tall you are. Emira has 151 litres in the boot plus whatever behind the seats.

Re: price point, I actually think Ferraris represent excellent value for money. They are individually hand-built to your spec - and the spec/customisation list is huge. Actually, it's unlimited; if you have the money, Ferrari will design and build you a complete one-off car! Performance is second to none and on-the-road handling will utterly destroy any Lotus (check out the reviews of the 488 - you'll see words like 'witchcraft' used to describe the ride and suspension). Yes. they are very, very expensive, but you are getting a bespoke car built for you, and they are definitely not just a pretty face. To drive, they are awesome.

Reading this thread is like watching a man repeatedly punching himself in the dick.

Some of you need a gut check, or a life that's not so focused on status. Lotus has never been a status brand, it's for weirdos who love to drive. If that's not you, and you're more worried about how much money people think you have or how "authentic" your shitty Rolex (or other luxury good) is, well, maybe you're simply never going to be happy, with a car or anything else. Go sit on a mountaintop until you find purpose.
Rolex is no more a luxury brand than BMW or Tesla. But your point is valid. Ostentatious rather than actually any good.

Dude I’m 6 1 225 and daily drove a Miata for 7 years do I need a gut check?
I don't understand how this is relevant to anything I said.

This is a thread full of posturing about which car brands are "real" (i.e. Ferrari), and your own hottest take in this thread is a statement that you'd rather hang out with rich people than "poors". So I don't know... DO you need a gut check?

I don't understand how this is relevant to anything I said.

This is a thread full of posturing about which car brands are "real" (i.e. Ferrari), and your own hottest take in this thread is a statement that you'd rather hang out with rich people than "poors". So I don't know... DO you need a gut check?
So serious. Are the English serious people? We’re all irritated with the wait. Do some yoga and weed, be chill

I'd like to take issue with this a little, because I've seen this peddled frequently (and by Lotus themselves, pushing the Emira as the 'usable' supercar). True, Ferraris of old had a reputation for poor reliability (but actually now, compared with other classics, old Ferraris actually come out quite well.)

But a modern Ferrari comes with a three year unlimited miles warranty and seven years servicing included in the price. That seven years' servicing goes with the car - it's transferred to the new owner if you sell it. So apart from consumables and an MOT, most owners spend nothing whatsoever on maintenance.

Modern Ferraris are also very well-built and reliable. There are 458s out there going strong with 250k miles on the clock. They can absolutely be driven daily (well, if you can stomach the depreciation).

They're also pretty practical. A 488 has 230 litres of really usable luggage capacity in its frunk (more than a 911), plus a whatever you can fit behind the seats depending on how tall you are. Emira has 151 litres in the boot plus whatever behind the seats.

Re: price point, I actually think Ferraris represent excellent value for money. They are individually hand-built to your spec - and the spec/customisation list is huge. Actually, it's unlimited; if you have the money, Ferrari will design and build you a complete one-off car! Performance is second to none and on-the-road handling will utterly destroy any Lotus (check out the reviews of the 488 - you'll see words like 'witchcraft' used to describe the ride and suspension). Yes. they are very, very expensive, but you are getting a bespoke car built for you, and they are definitely not just a pretty face. To drive, they are awesome.

I agree with you that they're more reliable than ever but the 2GR is just an overall much simpler engine with low maintenance costs you can handle yourself as a home mechanic. I'm not sure the same could be said of a 458 or 488. The examples of 250K miles is more of an exception rather than the norm you'd see on a 2GR -- at the same time this also means the 2GR is a much less impressive engine.

The ownership experience of handling the maintenance myself is attractive to me but I understand it's not attractive to most.

Edit: I hope this exchange has helped you figure out what the car is and who the audience would be as you asked in your original post.

There's been so much said about the Emira's 'supercar' looks here, but does anyone else think it's a shame it doesn't look like a Lotus? I think pretty much every car that Lotus has designed thus far has been unmistakably a Lotus: Esprit, Elan, Elise, Exige, Evora - they were all really distinctive and didn't ape anything else.

And now we have the 'supercar'-looking Emira which is a blatant copy of Ferrari's designs, and there have been many comments here that people are hoping it will be mistaken for a Ferrari (and it probably will).

View attachment 9675
(Ferrari 812)

View attachment 9676
(Ferrari 488 Pista)

But it's got absolutely none of the performance of a Ferrari - even one from a few generations back. It doesn't even have the performance of Lotus's own outgoing final edition three E's, and lukewarm reviews where the previous E cars were pretty unanimously brilliantly received. Yet the Emira's looks have been designed to fake being a supecar, and people are lapping it up.

So what exactly is it then? It all feels a bit fake Rolex to me...
Like many things made by China, it is indeed comprised of bits/ideas from other country's successful products. Look at their new fighter plane. Looks like an F22 but without the capability. Same with the Emira..:) Regardless I love the look of the new Lotus and I think they "squished" it enough to look "Lotusy". Does it look (almost exactly like) like this Ferrari? Even Ray Charles would say so but I don't care, it's beautiful and unlike the Ferrari it's in my financial wheelhouse...:)

The Emira does have Ferrari looks and that is a huge draw. But yes, the downside is the performance and now even the famous Lotus handling seems to be lacking according to some.
So it basically leaves the Emira for someone who wants to have a supercar look alike, without spending similar money. And the trade-off is performance. If you want your cake and eat it too, then you'll have to go elsewhere. Some are OK with that, some won't be.
I am probably OK with that as the 812 is my ultimate dream but even if I could make it a reality, I'm not sure I would. However, minus the price point, similar reasons keep me hesitant about Lotus ownership. Reliability, small dealer network, parts available, maintenance difficulty. It's funny everyone complains about the ubiquitousness of Porsche, but there are plus sides to having a car that is well loved and respected. And depending where you live, Porsche's are still quite rare.
You must not have been to L.A. Porsches are more plentiful than sores on a crackhead.
So why are many threads here peppered with comments along the lines of "it looks like a Ferrari - people will think I'm driving a Ferrari" and "if I put Ferrari shield stickers on the wings no-one will know the difference?"

I just don't get what the Emira is. It's softer than the previous generation of Lotus cars, but designed to look like a full-on supercar. I had a deposit town and wanted to love the car. I adore my Elise SC. But the Emira - is it just for posing?
Hey looks are a part of why I buy a certain car. a little posing never hurt anyone..:) It also looks like a c6 Vette from the side and a c7 at the front corners, and a little McLaren on that front bottom. I'll take it, for $100k yep I'll take it..!

Only big companies can afford to produce 40k sports car (ie Toyota). Small company with one model, like Lotus it has to be 60k minimum (and happens only thanks to foreign investor). Of course not everyone can afford to buy brand new sports car, but brands like Ferrari are capable to create sports car for people with smaller budget but they are not doing this. They aiming only rich people as clients. This is why I do not like Ferraris, and even if I am rich one day, will never buy one. Just do not want to support approach like that.
That's why Corvette is so successful imo..:)

Ferrari sold 11,155 cars last year. Lotus sold 1,710. I would say Ferrari are doing something right.

I don't want to overly dump on Lotus - I've been a fan for years and, as I said, I absolutely love my Elise. I just think they got this car very wrong. It could have been a legendary last hurrah for the ICE Lotus - like Porsche went all-in with the awesome GT4RS, Chevrolet have done their thing with the C8 etc. But for some reason from Lotus we have a supercar lookalike that recycles a 15-year-old drivetrain without the refinements the later Evoras enjoyed in a softer but pretty shell... Meanwhile the likes of Alpine, KTM, BAC etc. are doing the Lotus thing way better than Lotus.

I'm genuinely annoyed. I had an early deposit in. Really wanted to love this car.
Yeah but it has a stick..:)

To my rich friend “let’s go to Vegas this weekend for the Bo fight”
He says hell yeah I’m in
Same question to my poor friend
“Can’t I’m bartending this weekend”

You’d really rather hang out with poors?
Maybe, what bar?

"If it isn't an Audemars Piguet Code 11.59 Perpetual Calendar, it's not even a real watch"
This is ridiculous... those aren't even words ffs! you're making shit up!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back