• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira looks

As I have mentioned before it appears as though Lotus has created a car that really has no equals or predecessors. If you made a chart and compared this to all other sports cars I don't think anything would come close.

Midengined
Rarity
Price
Performance
Handling
Engines (two)
Transmissions (3)
Looks
Build Quality

I enjoy the debate on the forum because IMO its difficult to place this car anywhere or compare it to anything else because it's so unique. Unique doesn't mean BETTER OR FASTER, unique just means unique. It leads its class in looks and potentially handling. Handling in the sense of Touring being able to offer performance on most roads, and handling in terms of how confident does an "average" driver feel pushing it on a mountain road or a track. Its comparable to a Ferrari because it is elegant sporty. Lamborghini has a more in your face look example. A Mustang looks like a Charger in the sense that they are both muscle cars. So, I will be waiting for my green Ferrari look alike.
I think this is important. Lotus didn’t set out to make the fastest car. They wanted to make a driver’s car that could attract customers that weren’t already Lotus owners.

I won’t claim to know all about all cars out there but from what I’ve seen, for me the Emira is the best midengined driver’s car (still offering a manual!!!) in the sub 100k category with looks and creature comforts that even the wife can get behind. And its uniqueness tops it all off.

Except it’s not from China, it’s designed by folks called Russ, Dan, Jon and Gav working in a hangar in Norfolk.

Whilst you might see similarities with Ferrari and McLaren (it’s hard to engineer a mid engine 2-seater to current regulations without some similarities) there are cues from the Evija, Esprit, Elise and other Lotus cars.

The designer of the Ferrari 458 used to work for Lotus. Lots of ex Lotus people at McLaren.
Yep don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from the Brits at Lotus..:) I think the fact the Emira looks (almost exactly) like the Ferrari is a complement, to the car anyway.

The design of the Elise was influenced by the Dino. So yes, there is Ferrari lineage in the post-Elise cars. That’s not a bad thing.

It’s so funny you say that, I actually saw a nearly-Seneca blue Dino out cruising around Denver today. I caught up to him (in the Elise I’m driving) and the overwhelming thought was, “wow these cars are weirdly similar”. They don’t look exactly the same, but the experience of them seemed very kindred. About the same size, about the same layout, I pulled alongside and we were window-to-window in the same seating position overlooking bold fenders.

The Dino made a very different noise though.

Now I wish I had snagged a pic but the Denver highway was making the Elise wheel have a seizure in my hands so I was white knuckle gripped between flocks of giant lifted trucks and semis.

Most of the EU customers haven’t actually collected their cars yet, as they failed PDI and are awaiting fixes.
Wow, and there we were thinking us in the UK were getting a raw deal not getting the first deliveries as promised, when all along Lotus have been using Europe as guinea pigs 🤷🏻‍♂️

On a serious note if that is actually true looks like we could be in for the long haul.

Anyone expecting there car well into 2023 are probably not in a bad place.

Has anyone ever parked his Emira beside A Ferrari or other Super car? Let's find the differences!

Emira with a Lotus "super car" 😀
DK6A5594aweb.jpg.37fe63d87f5f03c1775f2f932491b2dd.jpg

If the biggest issue is that it looks too good for the performance and price point, that doesn’t sound like a major issue to me.

Where I live a new Ferrari, Lamborghini or the like will be 500kUSD or considerably more. I’ve got better things to do with my money than spend crazy money on a car that I’d then be terrified to drive or park anywhere (I’ve had 2 idiots drive into my daily when driving and another idiot when parked in the last year).

I've had my Ferrari for 6 weeks now. Even in a nice part of Surrey I have only seen one other. It feels super special.

I bought it to cover the disappointment of no Emira for the summer. I cancelled my Nimbus order and retained the Magma order.

I am now so bloody in love with it I am starting to wonder what the point is of getting the Magma car. I am starting to think the unthinkable.

This affection should have been for the Lotus. I remain super disappointed in how things have gone.
I will, of course, not make a snap decision and see how it makes me feel.

It will struggle to sound a 1/5th as good as the Ferrari BUT possibly equal on Looks and initial rarity.
Photos?????? (y)

...You're comparing Ferrari, an iconic automobile brand with nearly 100 years of motor racing pedigree who produce some of the finest road cars in the world with a badge on an overpriced (but possibly good-looking) handbag.

Actually... maybe my argument has come full-circle here: Emira is the Gucci handbag? 😜
In short lotus is a poor man’s Ferrari….

It’s still at 75-85 weeks. The delay to customer deliveries starting and the anticipated slower ramp up and lower production rate are factors in that.

Although there are some cancellations, I don’t think we’ve reached the key milestone where people start dropping, which is test drives. Many will stick but some will cancel or defer to i4 or Base. But many dealers also have lists of people waiting for test drives before placing a deposit. So that may even out - hard to predict.

If UK car finance rates go up or i4/Base prices increase it’ll prompt some more cancellations.
Thanks atom

Thanks atom
After reading all 5pages, cars are like art. Artist take everything they learn from previous master’s , these works influence and are reflected in there work. The Emira is the same in a automobile. The Emira represents what happens when designers are not shackled by company and financial constraints.. The Emira is truly a beautiful car. Lotus did an incredible job. This car will be a market disruptor. It will have a lot Criticism levied at it because performance doesn’t match it looks. Personally 400hp is plenty, with gifted handling and a stylish full leather Interior. Something any woman would enjoy going places with you.
Complain if you must.. but the only opinion that matters is mine. Very happy! By the way I did drive one and it’s similar to a GTS just more Theater.
🎉