Emira should have started with 450hp.

I'm not as well informed as some on there but I have heard, after insistent poking around, that a higher powered version is being tested. Doesn't mean it'll see the light of day but I struggle to believe emissions would be the limiting factor (I'd love to be corrected but is the V6 really worse than the V12 currently in the 812 GTS?)
I believe it all comes down to the average fuel economy for the entire manufacture's fleet. So with more EVs being sold/produced by these supercar manufactuers, they are able to still produce some gas guzzling V8/10/12s and it all balances out while keeping them under the minimum average.

I believe it all comes down to the average fuel economy for the entire manufacture's fleet. So with more EVs being sold/produced by these supercar manufactuers, they are able to still produce some gas guzzling V8/10/12s and it all balances out while keeping them under the minimum average.

But Ferrari doesn't produce any EV's. I doubt the La Ferrari, SF90 or 296 count?

Heck, there's a twin turbo V8 SUV around the corner as well...

I bought a M3 comp xdrive recently. It was my car till my Emira arrives. I already sold it after two months. It did not bring me joy. It was too fast for the streets. I had much more fun in my old E92. I find the HP wars boring. I don't need to be the fastest. I need to enjoy driving the car. 400HP is plenty for the streets. I can actually drive it semi hard instead of babying it like a high HP car. This is a daily exotic for me. I don't care about the track. The Vette and the Z06 are faster cars, but I would not have fun driving either car. I also want a stick. Then there is how butt ugly the Vette is inside and out. I don't ever want to be a "Vette" guy. I only compare the Emira to the 718 which also has similar HP. The 718 GT4 is considered one of the best cars to drive for a reason with similar hp. It is not about how fast you get there. It is about the joy of getting there. This is a throw back car before flappy paddles and unusable HP. It is near perfect.

I bought a M3 comp xdrive recently. It was my car till my Emira arrives. I already sold it after two months. It did not bring me joy. It was too fast for the streets. I had much more fun in my old E92. I find the HP wars boring. I don't need to be the fastest. I need to enjoy driving the car. 400HP is plenty for the streets. I can actually drive it semi hard instead of babying it like a high HP car. This is a daily exotic for me. I don't care about the track. The Vette and the Z06 are faster cars, but I would not have fun driving either car. I also want a stick. Then there is how butt ugly the Vette is inside and out. I don't ever want to be a "Vette" guy. I only compare the Emira to the 718 which also has similar HP. The 718 GT4 is considered one of the best cars to drive for a reason with similar hp. It is not about how fast you get there. It is about the joy of getting there. This is a throw back car before flappy paddles and unusable HP. It is near perfect.
Amen brother
Even my 270bhp GR Yaris is too fast for most modern roads!

And I test drove an F12 today - well more a rental as I’m considering buying one - and it was exhilarating. Car is a absolute beast. Felt fast at all speeds and made your spine tingle every time you put your foot down (only halfway mind).

Still looking forward to my Emira but there’s a reason these cars are made and bought. I guess supercars aren’t for everyone.

Last edited:
I just want to say that I've owned a lot of different cars over the years, and I've modified or messed with almost all of them. To notice a difference of 15 horsepower, you would have had to own the vehicle for quite some time and put a lot of miles on it to really and truly be able to tell the subtle difference that the extra 15 horsepower would make when you are already over the 400 horsepower mark, which is less than 4% increase. Thinking back on when I've done upgrades to exhaust systems, intakes, ecu, you name it, 9 times out of 10 I've been disappointed by the "seat of the pants" feel.

I just want to say that I've owned a lot of different cars over the years, and I've modified or messed with almost all of them. To notice a difference of 15 horsepower, you would have had to own the vehicle for quite some time and put a lot of miles on it to really and truly be able to tell the subtle difference that the extra 15 horsepower would make when you are already over the 400 horsepower mark, which is less than 4% increase. Thinking back on when I've done upgrades to exhaust systems, intakes, ecu, you name it, 9 times out of 10 I've been disappointed by the "seat of the pants" feel.
Be easier to gain more power per tonne by cutting down on Maccy Dees... 😃

Like many on this thread I agree it’s not about power. I deliberately DON’T want more power… let me elaborate…

My last sports car was a 991.2 911 GT3, it was fantastic, it was a beast but it was too much for the road for me. I found all the thrills happened when I rung its neck and was going silly speeds.

I want more accessible, lower speed fun, hence the Emira (and not an Exige either)…

Oh yes and the car is so much prettier than the Porsche IMHO.

My only worry is not power, or ride height it’s whether it will be reliable - especially given that it’s come off an all new production line with lots of new new tech….

Time will tell :)

To all those who want more HP, what exactly are you looking for performance wise? This isn't a loaded question. This is a forum and I would like to know your "why".

I have heard that no other manufacturer produces a car with less HP than the previous model. I have heard they don't want to get embarrassed at the dragstrip, so 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

What are you looking for with more HP? 3.5sec 0-60, top speed of 200mph, a specific track time? Bragging rights? I decided to place my deposit when I saw the car and understood it was mid-engined so you cannot get more shallow or garage queen than me. I looked up specs after I had decided to place a deposit.

Absolutely Jimblob. I have a tuned GT86 and also a remapped BMW 535d with three times the torque. The Toyota is fun BECAUSE I can thrash it on normal roads and not be a sociopath. The BMW is discrete, hugely fast and not particularly fun because thrust is a one trick pony that wears off.

Its also the case that in Britain ride compliancy is a major issue and one of the reasons I have never bought a Porsche with their stiff suspensions and super wide tyres that tramline and crash on Britains fun B Roads.

The teenager in me likes the C8 for its numbers but its in no way beautiful like the Emira is. And I am sorry bit non-EPAS steering is a HUGE deal. Hydraulic is like listening to the band live or on vinyl. EPAS is like listening to it on a streaming service. Wearing ear buds.

Absolutely Jimblob. I have a tuned GT86 and also a remapped BMW 535d with three times the torque. The Toyota is fun BECAUSE I can thrash it on normal roads and not be a sociopath. The BMW is discrete, hugely fast and not particularly fun because thrust is a one trick pony that wears off.

Its also the case that in Britain ride compliancy is a major issue and one of the reasons I have never bought a Porsche with their stiff suspensions and super wide tyres that tramline and crash on Britains fun B Roads.

The teenager in me likes the C8 for its numbers but its in no way beautiful like the Emira is. And I am sorry bit non-EPAS steering is a HUGE deal. Hydraulic is like listening to the band live or on vinyl. EPAS is like listening to it on a streaming service. Wearing ear buds.
I agree except on 1 point, I actually found the GT3 suspension really good. I would say similar harshness to an M3, firm but not crashy. Maybe I haven’t had enough similar cars to compare but I know it was so much more compliant than the RS6 I ran for a while.

I agree 200%. The EMIRA should have had 450 on Launch. Big mistake by Lotus/Geely

This is the only thing that is lacking.

I know the arguments.....

1) It not about the 0-60 blah blah blah
2) not a big difference between 400 and 450 , you really won't feel difference ( yet Porsche has "S" variants with 50hp more for more $$)
3) Lotus has limited funds to develop the engine, blah blah blah , but the I4 in other cars is 420hp.
4) 400hp is plenty enough, blah blah blah, ( sex once a month is also plenty enough)
5) you are a troll if you want more than 400hp.

400 hp weighing 3100-3200 pounds are 15 year old 2005 Corvette and 2005 Ferrari specs.

Nothing like a 2022 car with a 10 year old engine with 15 year old performance.

View attachment 4343View attachment 4344
I agree 200%. The EMIRA should have had 450 on Launch. Big mistake by Lotus/Geely

This is the only thing that is lacking.

I know the arguments.....

1) It not about the 0-60 blah blah blah
2) not a big difference between 400 and 450 , you really won't feel difference ( yet Porsche has "S" variants with 50hp more for more $$)
3) Lotus has limited funds to develop the engine, blah blah blah , but the I4 in other cars is 420hp.
4) 400hp is plenty enough, blah blah blah, ( sex once a month is also plenty enough)
5) you are a troll if you want more than 400hp.

400 hp weighing 3100-3200 pounds are 15 year old 2005 Corvette and 2005 Ferrari specs.

Nothing like a 2022 car with a 10 year old engine with 15 year old performance.

View attachment 4343View attachment 4344
In

The 1 time out of 10 would likely be the ECU flash that you'd notice! Intakes and exhaust are cool and all, but most of the time it's for the noise and increased driver engagement.

Interestingly the only Ferrari I’ve ever driven is the 360 convertible and if my Emira which is out for June delivery goes anything like that then I’m well happy . I remember when I drove the 360 thinking it was like my Elise 160 sport but on steroids . The handling was incredible on the Ferrari and it was a hell of a lot quicker than The lotus

The 1 time out of 10 would likely be the ECU flash that you'd notice! Intakes and exhaust are cool and all, but most of the time it's for the noise and increased driver engagement.
Yeah, my RS7 went from like 550hp to 670. That was noticeable..and then I thought, hmm, could be faster. 😆

One of the best drivers car I have owned is a Mclaren 720......its capability was astonishing and truly ballistic performance........but every time I drove it on the road it was, potentially, 'straight to jail'. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun car.

So, I'm firmly in the camp that 400 or so bhp is fun. You can use the performance on back roads, use the gears to wring its neck......in the 720 it would go ballistic in any gear, you could drive lazy......0 to 150 mph in the blink of an eye.

Looking forwards to getting the most out of my Emira, having to drive it to get the best out of it, and hopefully avoid jail!

Right...another Atlantis Blue post where faced with obvious and relevant information you choose to believe what you want. Why is it so hard to even try to be objective?

1. "Matt the man in charge" also said the i4 would have the same power worldwide which turned out to not be case. He's not a god. According to you everything Lotus says is gospel - last I checked they have a website and it says 400hp in bold there. Where is your better sourced information from? Oh yes... Matt said.

2. Mate, common sense...430 vs 400. One number is smaller no? Sorry, once again Lotus said so both numbers are the same.

3. Ironically there's also no data showing the Emira is faster. But once again...Gavin said. There's a thread on this somewhere. It would be tough to imaging the Emira being heavier and down on power against the 430 being quicker. Numbers should be published eventually so we'll see but I know where I'd put my money.

4. What does this have to with the topic at hand? That regardless they are not mutually exclusive!!!!!!!!! Any decent supercharged engine by design will give e you performance from low rpm's all the way up.

P.S. I wouldn't be so dismissive of 'internet posters'. Most of what we (including you) know about the car has come from them.
Says the guy who chooses to believe what he wants and keeps repeating it without anything to back it up.

We don't actually know what the i4 power in the final production car is yet do we, yet here you are making absolute declarations when you have no idea whether it's true or not. Same with the power and performance of the Emira in general. Nobody other than the people at Lotus knows yet.

The difference between you saying the Evora is faster, when you haven't driven the Emira, and Gavan the guy in charge of developing the performance of the Emira saying the Emira is faster, when he's actually driven both at Hethel, is a simple matter of credibility. Gavan has it in this situation, and you don't.

I tend to not place any value in internet posters making absolute declarations that go against those who are in the position to actually know what's going on. I'll take Matt and Gavan's word over yours or any internet poster until proven otherwise.

Just for your info, you aren't a witness in a trial unless you were actually there and actually witnessed something. Just because you read an article and think you know what happened doesn't make you a witness. Your declarations (and others have done this) that Lotus has deliberately detuned the engine, and they could have started out with more power but haven't because they're 'saving' it for later models, is nothing but pure gossip.

Not until we have actual performance data from test results, will we know what the power is going to be of the V6 and i4 in the Emira. Past results or data from other uses (Mercedes) can only give an idea. Due to the emissions and mileage requirements 2023 (and beyond) cars have to meet, we can't rely completely on past results that didn't have to meet those requirements. We'll just have to wait and see what Lotus was able to get through the homologation process.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back