Emira vs Ferrari - Still not 100% on which to sell

I say, it depends how much money you need for your investment. The manual F430 must be worth 2.5X more than the Emira.
Another consideration, F car will continue to appreciate if factory manual car, Lotus, Highest value is now.

Yeah, true. I even put a deposit down on the 296 but had to pull it.

Mercedes looks like it is sold - awaiting confirmation.

I can't ever see the Emira actually being common and it should be a decent long term keeper. The Ferrari has been flawless in 7 months though worry does creep into my mind occasionally. This has to be a factor. I dreamed the dream and probably best out of it before it becomes a nightmare.
No chance. I wish I could afford to keep it and wrap it up from the investment point of view.
This is another reason why this is a killer dilemma. It is goes into £2xxK then I will surely regret. That happened with my EVO2 integrale. Bloody hell.

Maybe I should put the Emira up for a silly price and let fate decide. I was made a direct out of the blue offer but never even countered it.
Ade, If you’re selling the Ferrari, what’s your asking price?

For me the fact that the F430 is a manual makes the answer clear. These cars are going to appreciate at a rate that's likely better than any investment (and I've never seen cars as investments). It seems the manual transmission almost doubles the price - which is insane.

Sell the Emira and put the small premium you make on a deposit for a future Emira variant that hasn't yet been announced. As a bonus this would allow you to continue to suffer the waiting game with the rest of us. All for one and one for all!

In terms of which is most expensive to own then don't forget depreciation. I reckon the ferrari will be worth same or more in 1/2 years. Emira probably less. But that's debatable. But in 5 years. Ferrari way more actual pounds increase than emira for sure. Unless you add silly miles to it.
You may find the emira costs more over time.

Ha, yeah., true but most of the posts on here are actually negative so it is quite a unique place to ask the question.
This has struck me as well and I think it's really, really weird.

What is wrong with people that they only participate here to be negative and vitriolic about a product that clearly has exceptional merit and incredible value for money? It's a unicorn.

Yes, there have been acquisition timeline and cost setbacks, and I get that some owners are responding to Lotus's very poor brand management, lack of comms, and abysmal expectation management. But it's not an excuse for people to behave poorly and denigrate the car by expending energy to try to inflate the community perception of quality faults. The car is still exceptional, whether people have hurt egos or not.

Very interesting read for me as that should be my garage when my Emira arrives. But F1 430 and nimbus emira.
Albeit I've been feeling like bailing on Emira and going for exige. Don't have to make my mind up for a while though!
Surely the 430 is more special? Roof down, prancing horse V8. Can't believe there is really a contest... Which is the interesting bit for me!

For me the fact that the F430 is a manual makes the answer clear. These cars are going to appreciate at a rate that's likely better than any investment (and I've never seen cars as investments). It seems the manual transmission almost doubles the price - which is insane.

Sell the Emira and put the small premium you make on a deposit for a future Emira variant that hasn't yet been announced. As a bonus this would allow you to continue to suffer the waiting game with the rest of us. All for one and one for all!
This is partly what I’ve done, but didn’t even take delivery of my Emira in December. I got an opportunity to get something special and rare, and was lukewarm about the Emira FE, so now have deposits down for 2024 Base and GT variants and will enjoy “my precious” for 2023 (9 sleeps to go!).

I got an opportunity to get something special and rare
You went old and weird, didn't you? I always suspected you were a Mantis guy. 😜
1677250841843.png

Agh. You can see here why I am so reticent to sell my Ferrari.
I bought it as the Emira was delayed and I would have missed the summer of 2022 without a wicked sports car.
I did plan on keeping both car and sell the C63 but I need the funds from one car for an investment opportunity.

One has to go by May at the latest. I wish I could afford to store the F430 as it will surely appreciate in this manual spec.

I know its a ridiculous 1st world problem but ...

Keep the Emira Ade, love your positivity and the videos! This amongst the occasional barrage of negativity on here!!

I've had mine since beginning of Jan and love it more every day. Have had and driven a F430, and New AM Vantage which are both great in their own ways but enjoy the Emira way more. Individuality rules!!

Agh. You can see here why I am so reticent to sell my Ferrari.
I bought it as the Emira was delayed and I would have missed the summer of 2022 without a wicked sports car.
I did plan on keeping both car and sell the C63 but I need the funds from one car for an investment opportunity.

One has to go by May at the latest. I wish I could afford to store the F430 as it will surely appreciate in this manual spec.

I know its a ridiculous 1st world problem but ...

It all depends on how you plan to use each car. There is no question that the Ferrari will appreciate and become more valuable as time goes - as long as you don't drive it much! That's the dilemma I, personally, would have the most trouble with. A manual 430 that's driven a lot - with high miles - will cost more to maintain than if you drive it 1000 miles per year and if it has high miles will have lower resale value. So if you decide to keep the Ferrari because its a better investment - you won't be able to drive it much - so all that "specialness" and open top driving you are romancing about will have to just be in your head when you look at it under the car cover. If you are a person who drives their car a lot (say 8-10k per year) then better to put those miles on a car like the Emira - easier to maintain and one you can drive without worrying about every stone chip, taking it to the track or parking it when shopping. if you are contented to stare at a beautiful car parked car in your garage and will be satisfied driving it bit on special days when the weather is perfect - keep the Ferrari. Sell the house or kids and keep both!

Here's my personal view on the unicorn vs race-horse debate.

If you want to always enjoy driving/riding get the race horse and go to horse-and-Pimm's events to admire the exotics.

Seriously, driving over 100k of irreplaceable car on public roads will eventually lead to a bad day.

This has struck me as well and I think it's really, really weird.

What is wrong with people that they only participate here to be negative and vitriolic about a product that clearly has exceptional merit and incredible value for money? It's a unicorn.

Yes, there have been acquisition timeline and cost setbacks, and I get that some owners are responding to Lotus's very poor brand management, lack of comms, and abysmal expectation management. But it's not an excuse for people to behave poorly and denigrate the car by expending energy to try to inflate the community perception of quality faults. The car is still exceptional, whether people have hurt egos or not.
Customer service is THE most important thing to some people. I personally think it’s very important but I love the product too so it’s a tough one.

Also criticism doesn’t equal negativity

Here's my personal view on the unicorn vs race-horse debate.

If you want to always enjoy driving/riding get the race horse and go to horse-and-Pimm's events to admire the exotics.

Seriously, driving over 100k of irreplaceable car on public roads will eventually lead to a bad day.
I couldn't disagree more. Whether the car is £10k or £100k shouldn't matter. They're meant to be driven otherwise what's the point?

Customer service is THE most important thing to some people. I personally think it’s very important but I love the product too so it’s a tough one.

Also criticism doesn’t equal negativity
I'm a strong critic myself, but with some perspective and without making shit up out of whole cloth.

Let's be honest, we have had random posters on here with 2 or 3 posts who have either jumped onto the cancellations thread to do a weird gloating dance, or in some cases literally inventing whole narratives about supposedly widespread incidence of major component failure and Lotus knowingly sending affected cars out anyway. It's like an astroturfed FUD campaign, it's gross.

Ade is your motivation in owning a great sports car about the potential monetary appreciation? Or is it about owning and using a thing that is wonderful to drive, for the experience and love of driving it?

If it's the latter more than the former, I say keep the Lotus.

If it's the former rather than the latter, keep the Ferrari (but drive it as little as possible).

I personally lean towards prioritizing the driving joy. Both get you there, but one of the choices liberates significantly more cash for you now.

This is partly what I’ve done, but didn’t even take delivery of my Emira in December. I got an opportunity to get something special and rare, and was lukewarm about the Emira FE, so now have deposits down for 2024 Base and GT variants and will enjoy “my precious” for 2023 (9 sleeps to go!).
please elaborate on the deposit for the GT variant! Your dealer / Lotus UK took one without the car being formally announced?

I couldn't disagree more. Whether the car is £10k or £100k shouldn't matter. They're meant to be driven otherwise what's the point?
Agreed, wouldn't personally aquire an auto with the intention of preservation either.
Cars I do have are driven and maintained best I can afford.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back