Emira vs Ferrari - Still not 100% on which to sell

So you said that if you sold the Ferrari you could use that money for investment, but is the Ferrari not an investment that will appreciate? Everything is electrified from here, and with a manual this car is even more appealing and special.

I'm a strong critic myself, but with some perspective and without making shit up out of whole cloth.

Let's be honest, we have had random posters on here with 2 or 3 posts who have either jumped onto the cancellations thread to do a weird gloating dance, or in some cases literally inventing whole narratives about supposedly widespread incidence of major component failure and Lotus knowingly sending affected cars out anyway. It's like an astroturfed FUD campaign, it's gross.
True, but we’ve also intervened to deal with the unsubstantiated claims.

And I think our readership are savvy enough to spot the people who are either trying to post-justify their decisions to cancel or are just stirring the pot.

As actual owners continue to share their real experience, driving enjoyment and the resolution of initial issues then the emphasis will change.

This forum has been a slightly surreal place over the last 18 months. A waiting room for hundreds of people who want a car that no member (until recently) actually owns. An information vacuum from Lotus, filled by a few well-connected members and a great deal of rumour and speculation. Expectations raised and not met, delays and understandable frustrations.

It will change, as more cars are delivered and the cancellation folks drift away.

please elaborate on the deposit for the GT variant! Your dealer / Lotus UK took one without the car being formally announced?
Yes. Originally my dealer could take a deposit against almost anything that might be launched later (I did this for the Evora 2 years before launch and for the Emira when it was still Project Gamma).

Now my deposits are direct with Lotus UK they have confirmed I can switch an existing deposit to a different variant once that order book opens. The original deposit date will be the valid one, not the order book opening date or switch date.

Notionally both my deposits currently sit in the V6 FE queue, as that’s the only V6 order book that’s open, but they are held from moving to production and are annotated as being intended for Base V6 and GT.

After the debacle with my original pre-reveal V6 FE deposit I’m still wary that this will be handled correctly!

Yes. Originally my dealer could take a deposit against almost anything that might be launched later (I did this for the Evora 2 years before launch and for the Emira when it was still Project Gamma).

Now my deposits are direct with Lotus UK they have confirmed I can switch an existing deposit to a different variant once that order book opens. The original deposit date will be the valid one, not the order book opening date or switch date.

Notionally both my deposits currently sit in the V6 FE queue, as that’s the only V6 order book that’s open, but they are held from moving to production and are annotated as being intended for Base V6 and GT.

After the debacle with my original pre-reveal V6 FE deposit I’m still wary that this will be handled correctly!
Thanks, this is helpful. Any further color on timing of future variants?

So you said that if you sold the Ferrari you could use that money for investment, but is the Ferrari not an investment that will appreciate? Everything is electrified from here, and with a manual this car is even more appealing and special.

Leno mentioned this before. Something along the lines of... "Why invest in stocks when you can invest in cars, something you love, and can actually enjoy owning?"

@Evotion This is obviously a heart vs head decision.
Your heart loves the prancing horse, it's the epitome of car enthusiast dream being lived.
Your head is doing maths on running costs to justify the Emira. Your still in the honeymoon period. Sell it before you get too attached, and come back if/ when the time is right.

Therefore possible for an early I4 deposit holder to switch to v6 and beat the price increase?

If I wanted to keep a car to let it 'sit' and appreciate and not use alot in order to avoid those forthcoming expensive maint bills (you know they will come at some point :)) then keep the F. The usability factor alone defaults to Emira for all the reasons highlighted before. I used to want the F and Mclaren but the operating costs are what kept me away from buying older ones. It's not really an apples to apples conversation but if you take the $$ out of the equation, which one will you have the most enjoyment for the next 12mo. Good luck on your decision

Overall I have to say that this forum has been the most bizarre and surreal forum-type experience I've ever had. Sometimes it literally feels like being checked into the Hotel California.

I'll just be honest here and say I want Ade to keep the Emira for purely selfish reasons. His videos on the Emira are the most fun to watch. I've been looking forward to future videos of his ownership experience, so if he sells it to keep the Ferrari, we'll be robbed of more Emira videos.

The constant drag on the mood of the forum by the "I'm out! Just kidding, I'm still going to be back in here being sarcastic about Lotus and the Emira in every way I can think of, including 'liking' every post by anyone else that supports my desire to congratulate myself for being vastly more intelligent than the peasants in here who still haven't figured it out like me" types just creates an aching fatigue. I've never seen this sort of thing on any car forum I've ever frequented before.

Ade's videos about the Emira are like the sun breaking through a dark and dismal cloudy day.

I know I know, "WE THE JUSTIFIED HAVE THE RIGHT TO POINT OUT AND CRITICIZE! HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE US!". Yes you do, and others have the right to get tired of reading about it over and over. Yes I've blocked some of them. Yes I no longer bother even looking at the "I'm Out" thread. Ade's videos have been a very enjoyable bright spot, at least for me, and if he sells the Emira, I'll miss them.

Ade, do what's financially best for you in your situation regardless of what you read on this forum. Since your very first video way back when, when you interviewed Matt, I've enjoyed your participation in the forum and I hope you'll continue, even if you sell the Emira.

Thanks, this is helpful. Any further color on timing of future variants?
Base Edition info being published I think is going to slip from Q2 to Q3. I was told in Dec that production was due to start in Dec 2023/Jan 2024 but I think is squarely Q1 2024 now.

Timing for the GT has gone from indicative to non-commital. My hunch is they might announce it before end of 2023 for production starting sometime in 2024.

Therefore possible for an early I4 deposit holder to switch to v6 and beat the price increase?
Unfortunately not quite. Production for the next 3-4 months is already scheduled, so you can’t switch into it unless you pick up a cancellation.

For my example, Base Edition info will be published 6 months before first builds start, so I will be able to switch queues before production is locked in.

Base Edition info being published I think is going to slip from Q2 to Q3. I was told in Dec that production was due to start in Dec 2023/Jan 2024 but I think is squarely Q1 2024 now.

Timing for the GT has gone from indicative to non-commital. My hunch is they might announce it before end of 2023 for production starting sometime in 2024.
What? So no Base configurator/lock-in until Q3? My dealer is still saying Q2 finalize, production end of year.

Well, if that's the case - and they announce a GT version for 2024 - I will try to switch my deposit to the GT model if both it and the Base are to produced in 2024.

What? So no Base configurator/lock-in until Q3? My dealer is still saying Q2 finalize, production end of year.

Well, if that's the case - and they announce a GT version for 2024 - I will try to switch my deposit to the GT model if both it and the Base are to produced in 2024.
In Dec/Jan I was told Base production might start in Dec but more likely Jan 2024. Since then there has been a further 3 week pause while they corrected issues from early cars into the next batches and a 12 week delay to start of US builds.

Production hasn’t ramped up as fast as expected and build time per car isn’t as quick as planned. The prices increase has caused some cancellations but doesn’t appear to have shortened the timeframes for people expecting cars in the next 3 months. Auto V6 and i4 first builds aren’t getting any earlier.

I don’t see Base builds starting until Q1 2024, with spec locked in 6 months before. We might see pricing and configurator launched in late Q2 but I suspect it’ll be early Q3 for first batch to lock in.

Sell the Emira -right now you could get overs for it. The manual F430 is a much rarer vehicle. In a couple years the market will be flooded with Emiras and you'll either be able to get a discount on a used example or get into the inevitable facelift/S model.

Great choice in cars though, I have a F430 F1 Coupe and love it to death, expecting the Emira to add to as well this fall

You can see how people mistake the Emira for 🐎 …. brother from another mother perhaps ( for sale at Redline a snip at £154k )

8BCFAEEC-572F-4ECC-9844-DD6B9CE78190.jpeg

I suggest you post a Ferrari video exactly like your Emira video, including the shot in the same narrow street, then let us decide. Showing the Emira moving on that street really fired me up to buy one. We’re all exhausted from showroom pics. Chat away like it’s your first time in the Ferrari and bring your son.
I’d like this done tomorrow, posted no later than Friday.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back