Harry's Garage videos - visit to Hethel and Matt Windle interview, Emira collection and drive

I'll wager that @TomE is somewhat disappointed, scoring 7.5/10, but that he completely understands the car and the direction Lotus has gone. He will say that he can see the car being superb for many owners who are looking for what the Lotus offers but others, looking for more exhilaration from a sports car will move on.

Tom is coming from a beloved Evora, and with Exige experience. Both are more fun than the Emira by some distance BUT the Emira is the 'better' car.

Myself.. I still kinda think, given my stable of cars NOW (due to delays), that the Emira is best being replaced by a 4xx Exige. Every time I go to Bell & Colville I get that twitch...
The thing is…I really wouldn’t have any issue with this if it were just marketed this way from the start.

My Emira deposit was based on an Evora test drive and the promise of the Emira being all that and more - quicker, louder, exhilarating, better appointed, same Lotus ‘feel’ etc. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what they’ve put out but it’s not what I was sold.

If there will be an Emira GT I’ll happily roll my deposit over as that’s the car I actually want.

The thing is…I really wouldn’t have any issue with this if it were just marketed this way from the start.

My Emira deposit was based on an Evora test drive and the promise of the Emira being all that and more - quicker, louder, exhilarating, better appointed, same Lotus ‘feel’ etc. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what they’ve put out but it’s not what I was sold.

If there will be an Emira GT I’ll happily roll my deposit over as that’s the car I actually want.
There for sure will be an Emira GT - I don't think it will be the V6 in a manual.

The Emira GT has to beat a 718 GT4, if not there isn't much of a point. (IMO, the Emira is better than a GTS 4.0 not a GT4) My guess is 2025 release with an i4 @440-450BHP and DCT only. Lighter seats and carbon roof and other bits to reduce weight. They may do a final run Emira V6 with the 430BHP like the last Evora cup, but in all honesty I would just get a base V6 with sport suspension and get a tune after the warranty is done.

If you did base it on that, then I absolutely agree!

I put a deposit down in May 21 and had no idea what the car would be like. As the looks and spec sheet got released this was EPIC NEWS to me personally as I could just get an Exige if I didn't want that.

That dialed up to 11 comment didn't help, for sure.

I wish they had brough out 2 Emira cars.

The current model but ONLY with the i4 DCT and called the Emira GT
The current model, outputting 430 - 450 HP, stripped out to be 150kg lighter with any engine choice, called Emira Cup 450.

Alas, we got the one car and I love it is... for me.

Funny...I always thought that GT meant Grand Tourer, which is pretty much where the Emira sits for me in a line up with the historical fare of Emira, Exige and Evora...more of an Evora replacement than an Emira/Exige one

Surely they should be coming out with an Emira S, or perhaps an Emira GTE as the restricted run upgraded models?

Yes, they plan to. It is already in development. Not sure the agreed moniker or any stats,
I do know it will be lighter and have carbon bits.

I'll wager that @TomE is somewhat disappointed, scoring 7.5/10, but that he completely understands the car and the direction Lotus has gone. He will say that he can see the car being superb for many owners who are looking for what the Lotus offers but others, looking for more exhilaration from a sports car will move on.

Tom is coming from a beloved Evora, and with Exige experience. Both are more fun than the Emira by some distance BUT the Emira is the 'better' car.

Myself.. I still kinda think, given my stable of cars NOW (due to delays), that the Emira is best being replaced by a 4xx Exige. Every time I go to Bell & Colville I get that twitch...
The key thing is, if you’re going to give a car a score or say it is better than another, then you have to explain what your scoring criteria are. The Emira can be a great car for many people but not suit others.

I think we have to judge the Emira against the original brief, as well as against our personal use cases and priorities.

I wish they had brough out 2 Emira cars.

The current model but ONLY with the i4 DCT and called the Emira GT
The current model, outputting 430 - 450 HP, stripped out to be 150kg lighter with any engine choice, called Emira Cup 450.
Wash your mouth out, sir! I'm fairly sure the old-man spec manual+V6 is the GT, and the i4 DCT firecracker is the tuned-up Cup candidate :p

I don't disagree that they'd be wise to provide a harder-core version in the near future though (I'm not saying I'd buy that - my use case is swoon-worthy sporty daily driver - but it seems to be what is most disappointing the Lotus-faithful)

There will of course be a more hard core model down the road. For me, the V6 FE is perfect. I really didn't expect it to be as raw as the Evora, and that was a positive in my book. I love the fact that the Emira will be better as a daily driver.

Keep calm boys , the level anxiety about all the topics in this car is surprising me more and more

Check Harry’s videos when he tested the democars etc, he will talk about the emira for sure and supposedly all good words about the car

But men , always conspiracy here 24/7, why when what who where
🤣🤣

It was clear that he will talk once a time at least about the car

I feel like some people here can’t decide by themselves and they need to hear from others every day how good the car is ,

I mean , it’s ok be this way , but I couldn't live with that

Almost an echo of my opinions after track day.
bad points the crappy screen on the dash....and info entertainment system is not up to par... seats dont keep you in laterally.....and ADS would be very nice if you drive abroad, shame it doesnt have it....wiper issue would hopefully be fixed in next software update.
He also feels they shot themselves in the foot with tour and sport..... Maybe he really is my uncle haha

But overall he likes it...... as you would expect..... he wont be pushing it out of the garage for a while Im sure.
I reckon he gives it a 7.5/10..... @Evotion will think that was a 10 :) ahah. and @Leonard will think its a 6.... I stick with my 7.5 :)

Interesting video. Has me in 2 minds. Obviously it’s a great car with its own slight faults but hasn’t lost what makes it a Lotus. I’m satisfied it will do what I need/want it to do. I’m just worried that Lotus can’t deliver the fucking thing in time.

Summary:

It’s not a track car.
It’s not a supercar.
It’s a beautiful manual old school car with some ok new tech. The combination makes for a great sports car - esp at the price point.

Great roundup to his vids.

bad points the crappy screen on the dash....and info entertainment system is not up to par... seats dont keep you in laterally.....and ADS would be very nice if you drive abroad, shame it doesnt have it....wiper issue would hopefully be fixed in next software update.
He also feels they shot themselves in the foot with tour and sport..... Maybe he really is my uncle haha

But overall he likes it...... as you would expect..... he wont be pushing it out of the garage for a while Im sure.
I reckon he gives it a 7.5/10..... @Evotion will think that was a 10 :) ahah. and @Leonard will think its a 6.... I stick with my 7.5 :)
In the words of Len Goodman SEVEN!

As Len would say though, 7 is still a very good score, still a mover in a sexy dress.

strictly-come-dancing-show-sweet-montage-of-len-goodman-ts_-00_01_14_04-still031.jpg

IMHO - I think Harry would rate the Emira higher than a 7.5 as his points for improvement are almost superficial (except the wipers which should be an easy fix) The points of incredible handling in wet and engine/shifter performance, everyday use (ie: luggage), and the fact that he would choose the Emira over the Porsche 718 and 911 speaks volumes to me. After I drove the Emira there is no way that I am asking for my deposit back. Guys who drove it the same place/day drove 911's GT3 RS, Ferrari, etc., and all said 'Can I get it NOW...!' Also to compare the price at 65% of just the options of the Ferrari press car is incredible! I think the first FE cars will retain their value incredibly well as the price later will go up considerably. IMHO the "Lotus Emira is the Best Car for the Money" out there. Harry never did comment on the other cars he drove compared to the Emira on his favorite street to drive - We'll have to wait for that video I guess...
I just hope Lotus keeps the production numbers low...LoL...!

IMHO - I think Harry would rate the Emira higher than a 7.5 as his points for improvement are almost superficial (except the wipers which should be an easy fix) The points of incredible handling in wet and engine/shifter performance, everyday use (ie: luggage), and the fact that he would choose the Emira over the Porsche 718 and 911 speaks volumes to me. After I drove the Emira there is no way that I am asking for my deposit back. Guys who drove it the same place/day drove 911's GT3 RS, Ferrari, etc., and all said 'Can I get it NOW...!' Also to compare the price at 65% of just the options of the Ferrari press car is incredible! I think the first FE cars will retain their value incredibly well as the price later will go up considerably. IMHO the "Lotus Emira is the Best Car for the Money" out there. Harry never did comment on the other cars he drove compared to the Emira on his favorite street to drive - We'll have to wait for that video I guess...
I just hope Lotus keeps the production numbers low...LoL...!
That's the rub though in my humble opinion. The Emira is a great car. An awesome car even IF you have other better cars in the garage. As a one car does it all though it probably is a 7. Which IS good and highly enjoyable, just not game changing or class leading

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back