I'm out - the cancellations thread

I've removed a few posts from the last 24 hours.

Firstly, it's not acceptable to be rude to other members. I know some folks are a bit spiky in how they come across online and it's fine to disagree with someone's point of view, provided that's done in a constructive and respectful way. Name calling isn't OK. Inevitably there are grey areas, so moderators/admins have to try and judge what stays and what gets removed.

Secondly, this is a thread about cancellations. It is OK (and encouraged) for people to explain why they are cancelling their Emira deposit/order and what they are buying instead. Whether that's a direct competitor of the Emira or something cheaper or more expensive or in a different category, that's their decision. You might not agree with it and you're entitled to voice that. But there is no need to disrespect other people's choices - we are all car enthusiasts.

One more delay and I am gone. I reserved in May of 21 and was supposed to be delivered this month, then pushed to March.

Going with a 2011 Porsche GTS when I'm told the Emira will be delayed again. Also have a BAT alert for an Atom 2, and will purchase one if I like it. Done playing stupid lotus games and ready to get with the real players.

It's not a major difference to initial outlay over here...sure running costs are going to be double or more, but when you can pick up a 3-5 year old mclaren 570S or 570GT for up to 10k more money than a new FE on the road the comparison is real. I am considering the same...even pondering whether the stretch to a 570s convertible might be worth the extra 18k...and I guess it is the fact that it is a step up in performance to a proper supercar versus a sports car that makes it somewhat appealing.
I don’t see the costs comparable in the US.

First, the FE has three years of no repair costs because of the warranty. A McLaren will have rather high repair costs here. I have an Aston and I would say , on average, Aston repair costs are 2x that of my Porsche. I think MCLaren are in the same ballpark as Aston here. I’m guessing when the FE needs a repair down the road in year > 4 it’ll be cheaper than my Porsche. Maybe 60-70% of the costs. So in the longer run, I expect FE repairs to be 30-40% the costs of McLaren repairs.

In terms of annual service it’s still pretty much the same math. My Aston is about $1800 for a basic annual service. My Porsche would be closer to $800, and I would expect, but not sure, for an Emira to be in the $500 range with a dealer.

So running costs for annual service McLaren vs Lotus..$1800 vs $500… maybe.

So, yes, double or more, plus probably one eye watering repair bill in the three year ownership period.

In truth, I find all the maintenance a bit overpriced or, at the very least, inconvenient, so I do my own. So, in that case, it’s probably closer to the same costs.

I don’t see the costs comparable in the US.

First, the FE has three years of no repair costs because of the warranty. A McLaren will have rather high repair costs here. I have an Aston and I would say , on average, Aston repair costs are 2x that of my Porsche. I think MCLaren are in the same ballpark as Aston here. I’m guessing when the FE needs a repair down the road in year > 4 it’ll be cheaper than my Porsche. Maybe 60-70% of the costs. So in the longer run, I expect FE repairs to be 30-40% the costs of McLaren repairs.

In terms of annual service it’s still pretty much the same math. My Aston is about $1800 for a basic annual service. My Porsche would be closer to $800, and I would expect, but not sure, for an Emira to be in the $500 range with a dealer.

So running costs for annual service McLaren vs Lotus..$1800 vs $500… maybe.

So, yes, double or more, plus probably one eye watering repair bill in the three year ownership period.

In truth, I find all the maintenance a bit overpriced or, at the very least, inconvenient, so I do my own. So, in that case, it’s probably closer to the same costs.

Fun fact: New McLarens come with 5yr/46,600mi bumper to bumper warranties. 😎

Last edited:
And service cost?

Are you asking about McLaren? Lots of good info on service costs of various models here. If you notice, both the costs and instances of requiring services have both decreased with the newer models. Gotta remember they are a fairly new brand as far as production vehicles go and they've been improving quickly.

I reserved in May of 21 and was supposed to be delivered this month, then pushed to March.
May 21 here too. I can wait but I completely get the frustration.
Seeing some others with later deposits getting theirs earlier is still painful.

If I did need the car now, I image my excitement on my drive would have been the same but I would have mentioned the delay for sure.

I cancelled my order today after test-driving yesterday. It's a well-built and well-styled car but won't suit my needs which are, mainly, as a touring sports car. The luggage capacity, particularly behind the seats (claimed to hold two carry-on-sized cases) would not accommodate my wife's 36 pairs of shoes when on a long weekend. 718 GTS is built in Jan 23.

It's a very comfy car, the Emira, and a good place to sit. Power delivery was perhaps a little soft but the car is fast and quiet. It will be a big success I'm sure.

I cancelled my order today after test-driving yesterday. It's a well-built and well-styled car but won't suit my needs which are, mainly, as a touring sports car. The luggage capacity, particularly behind the seats (claimed to hold two carry-on-sized cases) would not accommodate my wife's 36 pairs of shoes when on a long weekend. 718 GTS is built in Jan 23.

It's a very comfy car, the Emira, and a good place to sit. Power delivery was perhaps a little soft but the car is fast and quiet. It will be a big success I'm sure.

yes, luggage wise its pretty bad and as a weekends couples car, its no better than the evora really and not much better than an elise, but yes a bit. The porsche is so well packaged, even the convertible, in that category its an easy outright winner

good luck

Whoosh Any lucky person in here ….very surprising Lotus are offering V6 cancellation to an I4 customer that was due November 2023 🤷‍♀️ Not exactly similar auto to manual lol
With cancellations 📞 will be red hot

EFF00305-64C4-4752-82D4-C0CC5DE58BD3.jpeg

I've just cancelled V6 FE auto for April build. Hopefully that will be offered to someone.

Umm, if that is true, that will yet again annoy those higher in the deposit list for a V6 - which is a LOT of people.

The cancellations should be offered in order BUT, of course, we know this is not happening.
Poor.... the charade continues

Whoosh Any lucky person in here ….very surprising Lotus are offering V6 cancellation to an I4 customer that was due November 2023 🤷‍♀️ Not exactly similar auto to manual lol

View attachment 10844
This is very odd, only reasons I can think off;

1. Lotus has less deposits than maybe we originally were lead to believe?
2. Cancellations have been coming in significant numbers?
3. They know that the i4 is going to be further delayed and want to capture the early i4 depositers before they get more upset when/if they find out of a future delay?

Besides those three options, I can see them just randomly choosing people out of a hat to call.

Does anyone here know the amount of deposits from just forum members / the number of people that have cancelled? I know it is a small sample size but wondering where the percentage of that would be? I am hazarding a guess in the 25-35% range?

I can understand anyone being frustrated at an ever changing timeline. But I'd like to just offer an outside perspective, a silver lining if you will.

Cars that are a struggle to obtain. Whether that be something with limited production, super expensive, or a restoration that takes 5 years to put together feel very special once you have them. Cars that everyone can just go out and obtain today on a lot, feel a little less special. I'm not talking about performance. They can drive great. I'm just talking about that "I can't believe I was able to get one" feeling.

That being said, any US customers who want to pull out so I can get mine sooner, please feel free to do so so I can get the unobtanium faster.

View attachment 10844
That makes no sense. Should have been offered to someone with a V6 FE build slot in Feb-June with a similar spec.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back