I'm out - the cancellations thread

Got an email off lotus today and the July 23 delivery now August 23 for i4. So in the space of a few weeks it’s gone back a month. One more delay and I’m out as I will miss summer 23.

I might just bite the bullet and buy a McLaren 570/540 for similar money
Where can you get a 570 for similar money?

Got an email off lotus today and the July 23 delivery now August 23 for i4. So in the space of a few weeks it’s gone back a month. One more delay and I’m out as I will miss summer 23.

I might just bite the bullet and buy a McLaren 570/540 for similar money

I got the email but no change, stayed at August 23 but also been tempted by McLaren 540/570. watching vids, reading forums and thinking of a test drive.

Big step up in running costs though and no doubt insurance as well. Ext Warranty £3k - £5k annually paint issues, service costs.

Why do the depreciate so badly?

I am no expert as I have only recently started looking at them but lots of different reasons I think. They are still building the brand compared with Ferrari/Lambo etc, early cars had a lot of reliability issues, some paint bubbling reports and not all covered by warranty.

The second hand prices were better but recent financial events in the UK and recession/cost of living stuff means they are dipping currently. Great time to buy especially if you are a cash buyer like me :)

Why do the depreciate so badly?
Used to be the case...but prices now firmed....12c is now over 10 years old and can only find a few below 80k now. The 570s took an initial hit too but have been rising along with the market and now stable...you are unlikely to get as much of a depreciation hit on one of these as you are on a new Lotus. Biggest bargains are the 720s, but the 570 is a more involving drive...bit like a grown up /supercar Lotus (just without the manual)

I think its very bold to buy a 6 year old McLaren. Some of the bills reported are eye watering and frankly is the whole business actually viable as we head into a world of EV's? I wonder if the likes of McLaren or Aston Martin can actually stomach the development costs against the likes of Porsche, AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc who all are part of much larger groups sharing development and production costs.

I am not even convinced there's that much of a role for these 600bhp class supercars in a world where a Tesla 3 Performance can out drag V8's. Top speed has been redundant as a metric for some time as the Autobahn unrestricted network shrinks and gets ever more congested.

For me the attraction of the Emira is that it has full factory support/warranty from a company bankrolled by Geely and there is nothing overly exotic about any of the engines, transmissions and construction. The AMG is good for 4.2 seconds to 60 and a top speed I will never test - don't really see the point in spending more to get incremental performance gains at the expense of very low production run V8 turbos and carbon tubs etc. The scissor doors are nice but then the Emira hardly lacks drama or beauty in its styling.

I keep running alternatives through my head but it comes back to a Porsche that looks rather common, or a Ferrari/McLaren which will have bills/warranty costs out of all proportion to the benefit over the Lotus. Plus Lotus is a bit more left field and a bit less lottery winner.

I think its very bold to buy a 6 year old McLaren. Some of the bills reported are eye watering and frankly is the whole business actually viable as we head into a world of EV's? I wonder if the likes of McLaren or Aston Martin can actually stomach the development costs against the likes of Porsche, AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc who all are part of much larger groups sharing development and production costs.

I am not even convinced there's that much of a role for these 600bhp class supercars in a world where a Tesla 3 Performance can out drag V8's. Top speed has been redundant as a metric for some time as the Autobahn unrestricted network shrinks and gets ever more congested.

For me the attraction of the Emira is that it has full factory support/warranty from a company bankrolled by Geely and there is nothing overly exotic about any of the engines, transmissions and construction. The AMG is good for 4.2 seconds to 60 and a top speed I will never test - don't really see the point in spending more to get incremental performance gains at the expense of very low production run V8 turbos and carbon tubs etc. The scissor doors are nice but then the Emira hardly lacks drama or beauty in its styling.

I keep running alternatives through my head but it comes back to a Porsche that looks rather common, or a Ferrari/McLaren which will have bills/warranty costs out of all proportion to the benefit over the Lotus. Plus Lotus is a bit more left field and a bit less lottery winner.
Remember that a new Ferrari comes with seven years' free servicing (yes, that's transferrable) and bought new or used from a main dealer comes with a minimum of two years warranty. I've had my 2018 Ferrari 488 for 18 months now, and the running costs (ex fuel of course!) have so far totalled £50 for the MOT. No mechanical issues whatsoever, and I've done nearly 5000 miles in that time including a roadtrip to Adenau, the Nürburgring and Spa Francorchamps for the Belgium Grand Prix. And it's not just about top speed or acceleration, nor is the performance gain incremental; it's another level entirely. Drive one and you'll understand. Utterly exhilarating.

My used 2017 991.2 Carrera 4S, bought a month earlier has cost me nearly £1,800 in servicing in that time. It had a major coolant system failure; the whole thing was thankfully replaced under warranty, but that would have been thousands.

My 2009 Elise SC bought a few months later, has cost me nearly £2,500 in servicing and repairs in a year (admittedly including fitment of racing harnesses), and still has lots of things that just don't work (no aircon, no lighting on the heater control panel etc.)

For me, the Ferrari has been the bargain of the bunch. And it's appreciated enough since I bought it that right now I'd get all my money back if I sold it. And, perhaps surprisingly, insurance is only a little more expensive than the 911, for up to 7,000 miles per year.

It is a very brave man that buys an older McLaren.

I would have loved to have added a Macca or Gallardo/Huracan to my garage but the reason the Emira stuck out to me, apart from amazing looks, was that is is brand new and comes with a 'free' warranty. I will be able to daily it, rag it to death, track it, put big miles on it and it really will not matter.

For me, the Ferrari has been the bargain of the bunch
Absolutely. I now have a deposit down on a 296 (not the GTS unfortunately).
It might depreciate a bit but the running costs are almost a known thing and little at that.
However, the initial ticket price, where cash, finance or both is well out of reach for 99.5% of us. Indeed, I can't really justify it and will have to sell the 430 and Emira to get it - if I decide to.

Absolutely. I now have a deposit down on a 296 (not the GTS unfortunately).
It might depreciate a bit but the running costs are almost a known thing and little at that.
However, the initial ticket price, where cash, finance or both is well out of reach for 99.5% of us. Indeed, I can't really justify it and will have to sell the 430 and Emira to get it - if I decide to.
I saw a 296 on a test drive in Nottingham as i was out driving the new AM Vantage - the rear looks reminiscent of an American supercar.

Can you flip the 296 or is there a clause in the Ferrari contract?

Good question.. I didn't read the deposit contract and nor did I ask! :D
Sounds like you were that eager just to get one :)

Decisions decisions. I was shocked when I drove the Emira in Nottingham centre just how many kids were taking photos of the car and asking me to rev it up ; might be because they were trying to work out how to car jack it or thinking it may be a ferarri!

Really? Where? I had a quick look and the absolute cheapest ones I could find are 2X Emira price.
ahh...the difference between the Canada market and the UK one...here we have a choice of 10s of 570s coupes for around £80-95k. convertibles from 99k (for an import) but most around 105k to 125k (a very tight range when you consider they roll from 2016 to 2020 cars and a variety of mileages. If you go via a McLaren dealer here you get a min 12m full warranty and can probably wangle an extra 12m into the deal...it really is a sweet spot of supercar at not much more than brand new Emira FE money over here...though I get that N America is an entirely different market

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back