I'm out - the cancellations thread

Sorry you are having trouble getting your deposit back. No doubt the lack of original credit card is a red herring. I heard the woman who is responsible for refunds has been reassigned to building transmissions so they can get the cars out faster.

As soon as demand slows down, no doubt your check will be in the mail.
Actually she’s in Canada building c8 DCTs

regarding this cancellation thread......

I am not out.... but I am also not in....

I cancelled my deposit early on after the pricing was announced. But the more I reconsider the more I am thinking of getting back in. So this can also be the "RE-CONSIDERATION" thread.

BUT....... I am waiting to test drive the car first. The reviews are mixed and somewhat lukewarm on the V6..

I have plenty of patience ( and other cars to keep me busy, C8, C7Zo6, Viper) so I will wait patiently for the I4.

I am glad I cancelled my deposit earlier this year, because I felt that the v6 is not for me. I was so tortured over the fact that the power plant is so old with no substantial upgrade , and for the FE asking price I felt I rather get something else with that money.

I will wait for the I4 with a dual clutch ........ But the sound of that engine will be the deal breaker.

I am still on the fence. I think a lot of the people here have no other sports cars and are tired of waiting, so I understand and can see their point of view.

Patience will be rewarded in this weird time of covid parts shortages. Covid stole so much of our lives. I feel as if I had lost the last two years of my life, with everything closed down, no restaurants no bars, clubs or social events. A few people were sadly even jumping off roofs. I could have been in a coma instead for two years, and come out of it, where at least I would have been fully rested and not so stressed out.

I am glad that some owners are already driving their cars.

I have to say that the delays in getting the cars into customers hands is giving people with deposits too much time to re-consider their purchase. Car dealerships know that once a prospective buyer says....."ah,let me think about it" that it will be a tough sell because now the prospective buyer has time to listen to everyone else telling them why they should not buy the car. And that is happening here.
Yep, better known as "buyer's remorse". Don't let 'em out the door because you will probably lose the sale..:) I'm still "wobblin" on this one too!

Tomorrow I will be two weeks into my attempts to get my deposit back. Comms with Lotus have been frustrating to say the least. There seems to be a clear plan to delay repayments as much as possible - a classic failing business red flag. Given the Geely ownership they surely can't be so financially precarious that they need to hold back £5k refunds?
You might be surprised, they are still a "penny stock".

Tomorrow I will be two weeks into my attempts to get my deposit back. Comms with Lotus have been frustrating to say the least. There seems to be a clear plan to delay repayments as much as possible - a classic failing business red flag. Given the Geely ownership they surely can't be so financially precarious that they need to hold back £5k refunds?
Could be they don’t want the cancellations logged until 2023, so it’s doesn’t mess up their 2022 sales numbers. Especially given that it was noted that they are recording deposits as sales.

I’m sure the issue with the credit card not being valid now is contributing to the problem

Last edited:
They've currently got a one week backlog on processing cancellations and they usually take up to 14 days, so assume most will be within 21 days.

I think the specific case being discussed here is made more complicated due to the card for the original payment no longer being available. Lotus don't seem to have a mechanism for doing the necessary anti money laundering checks to refund to a different card/account.

They've currently got a one week backlog on processing cancellations and they usually take up to 14 days, so assume most will be within 21 days.

I think the specific case being discussed here is made more complicated due to the card for the original payment no longer being available. Lotus don't seem to have a mechanism for doing the necessary anti money laundering checks to refund to a different card/account.
So you’re saying Lotus isn’t bankrupt? Excellent.

I'll say this, getting the Emira to me feels more like welcoming a new family member rather than buying a product... To me, the Lotus Emira is unique, there will be no other such ICE Lotus. Come to think of it, there is no issue--apart from it blowing up or losing my house--nor any other car out there that would keep me from getting the Emira... And I'm coming from an S2000 that I will sell. To me, it's either get the Emira or no sports car at all. 🕺 #LastICELotus #greatestLotus #savethemanuals
Ha. You are right!

I have have already gone through a 19 month gestation period!
My little bundle of Emira is due in January.
If it is a boy I will be called him Emile.
If it is a girl I will be calling her Emily.

My missus will be breastfeeding it with petrol.

. Lotus don't seem to have a mechanism for doing the necessary anti money laundering checks to refund to a different card/account.
It used to be the case that the refund had to go to the original account but the card scheme rules make it pretty clear the process. Take VISA scheme rules as an example:

To the extent possible, the Merchant must process a Credit Transaction to the same Payment Credential as used in the original Transaction.

If unable to process the Credit Transaction to the same Payment Credential, the Merchant may either:
(a) Process the Credit Transaction to a secondary Payment Credential, if available, and if a Transaction Receipt or other proof of purchase exists, and either:
- The original Payment Credential is unavailable (account is closed, transferred, reported lost/stolen).
- An Authorization Request for the Credit Transaction to the original Payment Credential receives a Decline Response.

(b) Refund the Transaction amount through alternate means (cash, check, in-store credit, or prepaid card), if any of the following conditions apply:
- The Cardholder does not have a Transaction Receipt or other proof of purchase.
- The customer is not the original Cardholder and is returning a gift.
- The Cardholder claims that the Prepaid Card used for the original purchase has been discarded.
- The Authorization Request for a Credit Transaction to the original or secondary Payment Credential receives a Decline Response.

Ha. You are right!

I have have already gone through a 19 month gestation period!
My little bundle of Emira is due in January.
If it is a boy I will be called him Emile.
If it is a girl I will be calling her Emily.

My missus will be breastfeeding it with petrol.
Ewww lactating petrol…..

Sorry you are having trouble getting your deposit back. No doubt the lack of original credit card is a red herring. I heard the woman who is responsible for refunds has been reassigned to building transmissions so they can get the cars out faster.

As soon as demand slows down, no doubt your check will be in the mail.
She would be the perfect person ti arrange a deposit transmission.

• Face Palm
Reactions: ADC
I've joined here today to share my test drive experience but also sad to say cancellation.

The car didn't live up to expectations generally but the only deal breaker was the seats - was simply unable to get comfortable.
If I had got on with the car I would have called Lotus up to see if flipping to a V6 (was down for an I4 from the start) would have got the car sooner. Assuming my car was like the demo, I'd have lived with the fit and finish, the noises and rattles, but not the seats.

Either way it's now a wait to get a refund back. Initially I thought the card I used was cancelled, it turns out the account is still open so they can process that refund easily enough if they want to.

From speaking to them today (as they had not responded to my refund request) they could give no timescales but were giving excuses about it being manic in the run up to Christmas and that it was all down to 'Finance' to sort, anhd in due course they will contact me. I did ask if they will refund in 14 days as I was told when put the deposit down (£2000 back early July 21) and they would not answer.

Moderator note: moved from another thread

I'm surprised people that cancelled and receive their money back continue to be so interested in chiming in. Is it a need to contaminate others to justify their decision? FOMO? Bored out of their minds?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised people that cancelled and receive their money back continue to be so interested in chiming in. Is it a need to contaminate others to justify their decision? FOMO? Bored out of their minds?
Confirmation bias, either looking for it or trying to create it.

Last edited:
I've joined here today to share my test drive experience but also sad to say cancellation.

The car didn't live up to expectations generally but the only deal breaker was the seats - was simply unable to get comfortable.
If I had got on with the car I would have called Lotus up to see if flipping to a V6 (was down for an I4 from the start) would have got the car sooner. Assuming my car was like the demo, I'd have lived with the fit and finish, the noises and rattles, but not the seats.

Either way it's now a wait to get a refund back. Initially I thought the card I used was cancelled, it turns out the account is still open so they can process that refund easily enough if they want to.

From speaking to them today (as they had not responded to my refund request) they could give no timescales but were giving excuses about it being manic in the run up to Christmas and that it was all down to 'Finance' to sort, anhd in due course they will contact me. I did ask if they will refund in 14 days as I was told when put the deposit down (£2000 back early July 21) and they would not answer.
Just mention section 75 to the credit card company if you struggle to get a refund - joint liability. Normally puts focus on the situation to resolve it quickly. I used section 75 on a car deposit last year during Covid with the credit card company when an indie car dealer was being an arse.

I'm 5 weeks in.

What with buying another car 4 weeks ago and Christmas coming up as well as my GFs 40th 6 days later believe me I really need it back!
Looks like you live near me - maybe we need to get a Hethel-bound raiding party organised "if you can't pay we'll take it away" style. Anyway, back to the seat/bad back discussion........

Seat discussion has been moved to here:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back