I'm out - the cancellations thread

Guys.... It came close this weekend. I've been talking to a private seller for the last week about his 570s and was getting excited. Local, low miles, fully loaded with all the goodies, and serviced at my local dealer who is extremely reputable... not to mention it was priced right! I jokingly ran it by my amazing wife Saturday morning... joking because it's ~$60k more than a brand new Emira FE.. but she instantly suggested we go check it out in person and make an offer if we both liked it.

Used-2019-McLaren-570S-Coupe-1630833465.jpg

Used-2019-McLaren-570S-Coupe-1630833480.jpg

Turns out another buyer was on the way with a check that morning and it ended up selling. Probably better off though... not only was it more than I wanted to pay for my next toy (heh.. remember when we thought the V6 FE was going to be ~$85k?), but it was modded with downpipes/exhaust/tune putting it at ~720HP! Sounds exciting, but McLarens without a warranty scare me! And I really want 3 pedals.... this was extremely tempting though!

So that's my story. I almost cheated on the Emira, but stayed loyal (sorta). I can't leave you guys either. 😇

The 2019 570S Spider was the fastest car I have ever driven. It is white knuckle-fast! My coworker and I rented one for 24 hours and had a blast (literally). The only thing I didn't like about it was the seat. My lower back was killing me after 40 minutes on the highway. The dihedral doors instantly attracted lots of attention.
IMG_0067.JPG

Guys.... It came close this weekend. I've been talking to a private seller for the last week about his 570s and was getting excited. Local, low miles, fully loaded with all the goodies, and serviced at my local dealer who is extremely reputable... not to mention it was priced right! I jokingly ran it by my amazing wife Saturday morning... joking because it's ~$60k more than a brand new Emira FE.. but she instantly suggested we go check it out in person and make an offer if we both liked it.

View attachment 21591

View attachment 21592

Turns out another buyer was on the way with a check that morning and it ended up selling. Probably better off though... not only was it more than I wanted to pay for my next toy (heh.. remember when we thought the V6 FE was going to be ~$85k?), but it was modded with downpipes/exhaust/tune putting it at ~720HP! Sounds exciting, but McLarens without a warranty scare me! And I really want 3 pedals.... this was extremely tempting though!

So that's my story. I almost cheated on the Emira, but stayed loyal (sorta). I can't leave you guys either. 😇
My mate sold his S1 exige and went into one of these. Likes it a lot but says its way too fast to safely enjoy on our roads.
That means actually safety and the safety of ones licence.
The same happened to another mate who had an awesome 911 GT3 (stunning thing) but gets more fun on the road in an RS Clio. He can afford basically anything he wants.....

No hate, It is attractive based upon what is available today. But it is really the SAME car they have been building since 1998. I'm just tired of looking at it.
Fair enough. As far as invisible on the road, I take that as a big positive. (5-0)

Looking at the recently discovered VIN decoder, the Emira R is likely the car for me.

Can you explain this more? I didn't see anyone respond to this in the thread.

@VL3X WOW! That 570S is a monster at 720hp! 60k more than a FE V6 sounds not that cheap if I look at used 570s, was it because of the tune or super low mileage? (Edit: in fact it probably exactly fits the market)

I was so close to buying a 570 before I got my Evora a few years ago. They are mental. What I did not like that much was that you really had to stay high on the rev range for the power, easily above 4000rpm. Below that it was a little bit disappointing and above that it was just way too quick for the road in my opinion. So it always felt as if you're warping yourself from one junction to the other. Steering and brakes top notch. Drama - amazing, if you were able to drive it really quick (which I am not, I prefer the more accessible power characteristics of a car).
I also think that all the issues of them are sorted by now and since the depreciation happened to the 1st owners they become incredible value (but brace yourself for the running costs!)

Last edited:
The fact that the Emira is regarded as "softer" compared to previous Lotus products like the Elise and Exige doesn't say anything about the Emira, rather it says something about how extreme those products have been as precision tools for demanding drivers. The fact that they were exceptional doesn't make the Emira less good on its own merits compared against the worldwide marketplace.

Very much agreed. I believe 12:40 thru 14:20 in the video below nails your point and even provides market position. Obviously it's not about an Emira but it won't be hard for everyone to extrapolate the video clip into what it means for the Emira and how it adds context to some of the debate opinions on here.

This is one of my favorite car videos. It touches on almost everything that is heavily debated on this forum right down to what to expect as a Lotus owner at the very end.

Fair enough. As far as invisible on the road, I take that as a big positive. (5-0)
Hmmm you might want to rethink the Emira. It is going to be rare for a long time and will be the opposite of invisible. If you are looking for invisible I would recommend a GR Yaris based on forum feedback.

Hmmm you might want to rethink the Emira. It is going to be rare for a long time and will be the opposite of invisible. If you are looking for invisible I would recommend a GR Yaris based on forum feedback.
I’m ok one way or another, but I question when people question going stealth.
‘I’m a chatty Kathy, I’m gonna dig chatting about the Emira. My wife, on he other hand, has no clue what’s coming and she’s gonna hate that part of the expeience

Last edited:
Very much agreed. I believe 12:40 thru 14:20 in the video below nails your point and even provides market position. Obviously it's not about an Emira but it won't be hard for everyone to extrapolate the video clip into what it means for the Emira and how it adds context to some of the debate opinions on here.

This is one of my favorite car videos. It touches on almost everything that is heavily debated on this forum right down to what to expect as a Lotus owner at the very end.

I love Jack “I’m gonna need a cigarette after that”. I can’t wait for the geese boys to get their turn.

I love Jack “I’m gonna need a cigarette after that”. I can’t wait for the geese boys to get their turn.
Same here. Love these guys and their honest reviews. Throttle House guys are great as well. James popped in here a couple times several months ago. According to a recent vid, he's still looking forward to the Emira.
Have a feeling it'll be a while before any of these guys can get their hands on a car to try, unfortunately.

@VL3X WOW! That 570S is a monster at 720hp! 60k more than a FE V6 sounds not that cheap if I look at used 570s, was it because of the tune or super low mileage? (Edit: in fact it probably exactly fits the market)

I was so close to buying a 570 before I got my Evora a few years ago. They are mental. What I did not like that much was that you really had to stay high on the rev range for the power, easily above 4000rpm. Below that it was a little bit disappointing and above that it was just way too quick for the road in my opinion. So it always felt as if you're warping yourself from one junction to the other. Steering and brakes top notch. Drama - amazing, if you were able to drive it really quick (which I am not, I prefer the more accessible power characteristics of a car).
I also think that all the issues of them are sorted by now and since the depreciation happened to the 1st owners they become incredible value (but brace yourself for the running costs!)

Drama. That's where it's at with the McLarens. They're rediculously fast and the power is mostly unusable on the street. But it'll be exciting and get your heart racing every time you drive! Plus lots of attention, especially when the doors go up.
That one had very low miles.. ~8k I think. It was priced right for sure, but depreciated down from $230k to $160 in 5 years.

sddefault.jpg

you're right... no similarities there at all....... day and night, sun and moon, beach and hill side haha...come on!
Ive seen easier spot the difference drawings for my 5 year old.....

No car maker makes cars that are truly different from each other if we are honest, apart from maybe Ford with its Super car not really being related to anything in its line up and ferrari has some very individual and IMO weird designs also. Mcdonaldclarens all look the same to me....and even the Emira is in some ways a baby Evija ....

I'll stick with my beetle for now......
When the TT first came out, around the same time as the Z3 and later SLK.... I wanted one... it looked wow and the interior was even more amazing. Over the years it has..... lost its wow factor and been diluted. Yes I know you dont have a TT, just saying.
I understand your point re 911, but I like the understated style, not too shouty look at me...hence I'd always go touring and not spoiler if I had my way. I dont think there is a car jornalist alive that dislikes the gt3 and thats good enough for me. I can imagine audi's R8 replacement, EV, will be quite something, I certainly hope so.

Yep they both have rings on them and are cars. Very good on you. You must be practicing with your 5 year old. If you cannot see the difference in the picture below you may need more practice. The 911 gt3 is a great car and the only 911 I would buy. Just to much for the road and I only make track days a few times a year. Between the R8 and Emira in the garage I will have a choice to make for the weekend drive.

Attachments

• EA9B5C07-E618-47ED-96FC-0C78C32BBEB6.jpeg
    EA9B5C07-E618-47ED-96FC-0C78C32BBEB6.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 65
@Davependo Mine was literally 1 mile when I saw it pre PDI at the dealer.

I can't blame Lotus for making sure a VIP delivery is top notch. The backlash of a lemon in the hands of one of the biggest automotive Youtubers is nothing a company wants to risk. Not even Lotus.

Getting a McLaren has to be the best reason for NOT getting the Emira. Nobody would judge against that decision IF one has the funds to acquire one.

The 570S is the bargain BUT , if you can, one HAS to get the 600LT instead. It is the one to get.
e.g..

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back