I'm out - the cancellations thread

Matt sent me a video saying no price increase for us early birds, I’ve taken him at his word
I have an email dated March 17, 2022 from a Lotus USA rep (Tammy) that lists the prices (CAD for me) for the i4 base, v6 base, i4 FE and the v6 FE and that these prices will be honoured with no price increases. If Lotus honours these prices, I will honour my deposit/order as I have to date.

Last edited:
I have an email dated March 17, 2022 from a Lotus USA rep (Tammy) that lists the prices (CAD for me) for the i4 base, v6 base, i4 FE and the v6 FE and that these prices will be honoured with no price increases. If Lotus honours these prices, I will honour my order as I have to date.
That was before the prices disappeared. I truly hope they stick by that!

I have an email dated March 17, 2022 from a Lotus USA rep (Tammy) that lists the prices (CAD for me) for the i4 base, v6 base, i4 FE and the v6 FE and that these prices will be honoured with no price increases. If Lotus honours these prices, I will honour my order as I have to date.
Ditto

I have an email dated March 17, 2022 from a Lotus USA rep (Tammy) that lists the prices (CAD for me) for the i4 base, v6 base, i4 FE and the v6 FE and that these prices will be honoured with no price increases. If Lotus honours these prices, I will honour my deposit/order as I have to date.

Try calling the number in Tammy's signature to see if they'll still honor those prices and let us know what happens. 😏

I cancelled because of the wait- I couldn’t at 70 waste another driving year as I have planned trips and there was no guarantee I would get my Emira in time and was really concerned of the Forum members issues on quality.

Thus, I have bought a 718 Spyder 4.0ltr a 2020 manual model with a great deal of options - this car specced out new at £97k. Paid just about Emira cost . Will be delivered this week.

I am happy with this as I really was disappointed that the Emira wasn’t ever going to be a roadster like the Evora - due to its construction with roll bar in the roof.

I was going to put up with the Emira but was so worried it was too much like the Evora, I guess I really needed a change of motoring direction.

I thought of a McLaren Spider but the outright cost even for a 2017 car and running costs, reliability would be too much. Also, not sure 562bhp at my age could be too much. I think Spyders 414BHP will be OK. Similar to Evora400 I had, but on test drives did feel faster particular at the wicked 8000 rpm hit. So open top motoring in the Alps this year will be wonderful.

Track day at Spa will be great - Spyder has GT4 underpinnings based on GT3 991.1 chassis, which was always good. So it’s a win win I think.

I also think the looks are superb, much better than other 718 cars, Emira is gorgeous and for many that will be great. But I think Lotus have a long learning curve to meet their quality objectives, I wish them well.
718 Spyder is the most beautiful car possible.

you have an insane machine now. Congratulations :) Ultimate B road crusing/race car

I'm out...

I have exercised my right to reject due to the windscreen wiper issue since I am told there is currently no timeline for a fix, although in reality it is the difficultly in dealing with Lotus that is the larger problem.

I am fed up of having to chase them, being provided with contradictory information and repeatedly unfulfilled promises. I thought the initial, post deposit, wait was an endurance test to bear but things were cranked up to 11 for the checkout process and it has not dropped since. This has completely overshadowed any enjoyment I might get from driving the car and left me resenting it.

My faith in Lotus being able to resolve problems in a timely manner, or at all, is now gone. To avoid war and piece here are a couple of examples as why this is the case:

I posted in the issues thread that both my seatbelts failed within the first 24 hours of ownership and praised Lotus for leaping into action to fix them. However I never followed up with the fact that one of the belts failed again on first use the very next morning. Apparently it had been fitted to the wrong side of the car. I am now on my 3rd set of seatbelts

My cosmetic and wheel insurance documentation arrived the day I collected the car but stated it had been registered to a completely different vehicle, both plate and VIN being incorrect. I was promised it would be sorted immediately. Which is what I was told when I spoke to them again a couple weeks later, and yet again a week after that. At this point, a few more weeks later, it is still registered to the wrong vehicle.

If anyone, despite what I have stated above, has the energy to deal with Lotus and wants a DV car with about 700 miles on it drop me a DM before it gets handed back.

I'm out...

I have exercised my right to reject due to the windscreen wiper issue since I am told there is currently no timeline for a fix, although in reality it is the difficultly in dealing with Lotus that is the larger problem.

I am fed up of having to chase them, being provided with contradictory information and repeatedly unfulfilled promises. I thought the initial, post deposit, wait was an endurance test to bear but things were cranked up to 11 for the checkout process and it has not dropped since. This has completely overshadowed any enjoyment I might get from driving the car and left me resenting it.

My faith in Lotus being able to resolve problems in a timely manner, or at all, is now gone. To avoid war and piece here are a couple of examples as why this is the case:

I posted in the issues thread that both my seatbelts failed within the first 24 hours of ownership and praised Lotus for leaping into action to fix them. However I never followed up with the fact that one of the belts failed again on first use the very next morning. Apparently it had been fitted to the wrong side of the car. I am now on my 3rd set of seatbelts

My cosmetic and wheel insurance documentation arrived the day I collected the car but stated it had been registered to a completely different vehicle, both plate and VIN being incorrect. I was promised it would be sorted immediately. Which is what I was told when I spoke to them again a couple weeks later, and yet again a week after that. At this point, a few more weeks later, it is still registered to the wrong vehicle.

If anyone, despite what I have stated above, has the energy to deal with Lotus and wants a DV car with about 700 miles on it drop me a DM before it gets handed back.
Very sad to read that. What a nightmare. There was a problem with a seatbelt on the Hendy Exeter Lotus when I drove it (it only secured or released when the parking brake was off). I hope the factory and HQ can resolve all these issues soon ... and that you find an enjoyable and reliable alternative.

I'm out...

Very sad to read this. These aren’t minor niggles, these are safety-related faults. And you’ve been escalating this to the highest levels and still not had a satisfactory response.

I hope Lotus take more steps to improve as a result of this and the other post delivery issues.

Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck with finding an alternative that you enjoy owning and driving.

It's a shame Lotus chose to band improved quality as though if you say it enough it happens. Even first adopters had the luxury of knowing thousands of test car hours had ensued making sure these kind of faults aren't produced.

Last edited:
Try calling the number in Tammy's signature to see if they'll still honor those prices and let us know what happens. 😏
“Due to unprecedented call volume we cannot answer your call this year, please call back when it’s convenient for us.” I’ll try calling again very...soon!

I'm out...

Terrible.... If this continues with other customers I will be joining the "I'm out". I understand this may happen to some early cars, but the response you have received or lack of, is well below anything satisfactory.

Hopefully the reason for the current delays is due to fixing these production issues. That I can understand. Lack of CS is appalling tho.

“Due to unprecedented call volume we cannot answer your call this year, please call back when it’s convenient for us.” I’ll try calling again very...soon!

Oh wow, I didn't even get a recorded message. It just rang twice then cut off whenever I tried to call.

Oh wow, I didn't even get a recorded message. It just rang twice then cut off whenever I tried to call.
Maybe Lotus has decided to cut costs by eliminating CS and warranty repairs. Less to focus on. I’m so close to pulling the trigger.

It seems they are getting cars out the door to get the revenue in, I suppose they had to make a choice...

Cars delivered revenue coming in..

Or more delays and a lot more drop outs.

Lotus can't seem to win, sad really with it being such a beautiful car and more hype than I can ever remember.

I wonder if there really is a cashflow issue, Geely cant keep handing out.

It seems they are getting cars out the door to get the revenue in, I suppose they had to make a choice...

Cars delivered revenue coming in..

Or more delays and a lot more drop outs.

Lotus can't seem to win, sad really with it being such a beautiful car and more hype than I can ever remember.
You must be joking according to LCS my car has been at Upper Heyford for 9 weeks waiting to be delivered, certainly they got it out of the factory but no revenue!!!

Maybe they haven't paid the delivery company lol, also didn't I hear people are struggling to get their deposits back.

Lotus held back a number of cars to apply fixes to them based on these early issues, rather than deliver them. That included cars already built and waiting at BCA for delivery, and cars mid-build and about to start build at Hethel. That's why we've seen fewer cars than expected being delivered in January and why people with Jan/Feb/Mar builds have been told there is an extra 2-4 week delay. Although the extra delays are frustrating, holding cars back to fix known issues is the right approach to take.

The only delays on refunding deposits are (a) a backlog of work in LCC meaning the "up to 14 days" is starting a few days later than the day you ask for the refund, and (b) if you used a card for the deposit that has now expired then it takes a bit longer than 14 days to sort out.

Very sad to read this. These aren’t minor niggles, these are safety-related faults. And you’ve been escalating this to the highest levels and still not had a satisfactory response.

I hope Lotus take more steps to improve as a result of this and the other post delivery issues.

Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck with finding an alternative that you enjoy owning and driving.

Everyone is different and I am sure others will be more forgiving when expectations that had been set are not met, and happier to sit and wait for information than I am. At times I think Lotus were genuinely trying hard to please only for it to backfire; the seatbelts they pulled out all stops to replace failing again the very next morning, the demo car I was lent throwing an engine warning light as I pulled away from the dealer. At the other end of the scale information has been presented as fact when it turns out it isn't which doesn't reflect well. Are they still standing by the statement that the first customer car was built in June for example?

However it was still a hard decision to make because if you take Lotus out of the equation, overlook a number of teething issues that mostly appear to be software related, and fingers crossed avoid any of the more major problems, you will find a car that looks great, is alive and nimble on B-roads and, once everything is ironed out, should also nail the daily brief too. I certainly wouldn't say no to a sportier seat, more exhaust noise in the cabin, a central display that titled towards the driver, and a rounder steering wheel though.

In terms of what next... I suspect it will be German.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back