I'm out - the cancellations thread

makes me wonder for those who have bailed out if those dealers who took the deposits will still be getting "your" car at some point and then sell them at the dealership (obviously at a premium)
That was a common practice in the States when the Elise first arrived here.

In the US it's literally the dealership's order with the factory, not the intended owner's. They usually honor the intended sale but the actual purchase being conducted is from the factory to the dealership, and gets floated on their books or their floorplan (institutional credit). If a buyer backs out it's still the dealer's unit.

In the US it's literally the dealership's order with the factory, not the intended owner's. They usually honor the intended sale but the actual purchase being conducted is from the factory to the dealership, and gets floated on their books or their floorplan (institutional credit). If a buyer backs out it's still the dealer's unit.
The dealership's order is actually through Lotus US and they pay them, not the factory. But you are entirely correct that upon delivery of the vehicle to the dealership, they on on the hook to pay Lotus US for the vehicle. That's one reason that a dealer will be very reluctant to refund a non-refundable deposit. They will have to carry that inventory until they can find a buyer for the original depositor's unique specification.

Speaking as someone who was formerly the service director of a car dealership... no, it's not. We have seen one case of inoperative seat belts, a few cases of unexpected operation (inconclusive, could be user), and several cases of cosmetic complaint regarding belt orientation. There is a difference between these, because the remedies needed to ensure future builds are free from error are radically different.

If you're operating purely on an emotional basis, and your position is that Lotus shouldn't have built any cars with manufacturing errors or component defect because "they've had plenty of time"... well, that seems like a you problem. Not meaning you Nicolas, I'm speaking broadly.

In the real world of complex manufacturing, problems sometimes occur with process, and components sometimes have defects that are discovered after the fact. That's simply how it works. An engineer (not a mechanic) will investigate, identify root cause, and the broader team will implement a remediation. And unless they do an actual recall, they will likely not communicate with the public about why or how or when. A company at Lotus' scale can identify and locate every individual car with an issue and go fix it.

If some of you want to cancel your orders because of early manufacturing defect recognition and the iterative process improvement that results from it, well, maybe buying a first year product from a small manufacturer (or frankly, any manufacturer) was not an appropriate personal choice. And that's ok. Different people have different personal tolerance for risk in their personal risk/reward model. Nothing wrong with that.
Thank you @Porter for your informative and interesting post. As a new experience for me in this car price range, I never realized seat belts could be an issue. I thought they were figured out decades ago. However, to be honest, I've not heard of seat belt issues with other manufacturers, but there's always Google I suppose!

I’m out…. Just need to get round to calling them as don’t have confidence they’ll respond to an email….
So many issues from others I’ve lot any confidence I had in the product. I’ve also just had an email stating that my FE build will be Q1 2024 from my deposit in Dec ‘21, which is ridiculous for a standard sports car! I ordered a 911 the week after the Emira & picked it up in Dec ‘22, much more like it….
Anyway, good luck to all, I won’t be going back to Lotus, but will miss the forum banter!
I tried to call and they told me to email. Probably best to email first and then do a follow up call as they likely won’t respond to your email.

The dealership's order is actually through Lotus US and they pay them, not the factory. But you are entirely correct that upon delivery of the vehicle to the dealership, they on on the hook to pay Lotus US for the vehicle. That's one reason that a dealer will be very reluctant to refund a non-refundable deposit. They will have to carry that inventory until they can find a buyer for the original depositor's unique specification.
Initially, I thought that the full-refund of deposit would be valid up until the customer configures his or her car. This would make more sense, although it's not like you can choose purple or pink exteriors and interiors. By keeping the color selections close to neutral or historically popular colors, risk to the dealership after a customer cancelation is not that high, IMO.

Initially, I thought that the full-refund of deposit would be valid up until the customer configures his or her car. This would make more sense, although it's not like you can choose purple or pink exteriors and interiors. By keeping the color selections close to neutral or historically popular colors, risk to the dealership after a customer cancelation is not that high, IMO.
Lets play that out. Lets say a truck arrives with 6 cars. The dealer has to pony up $500k, lets say, in order to get the MSO's from Lotus US. The expectation is that the PDI happens quickly, and the customer comes in and completes the purchase within a few days. What if 3 cars are not claimed? Now the dealer is having to scramble to find someone ready to buy right now. In reality it could take another 30 days to do that. That's actually a HUGE risk from a cash flow perspective. Not all these dealers are large with tons of cash sitting around. Just floorplan the cars? Yes, but these days that's probably 15-20% interest, eating substantially into their margin.

Traditionally, dealerships like Mazda's did this all the time, didn't they? I would think that if there is a long waiting list, and the chance pops up for someone who is expecting to wait a year or more is offered an exact or very close configuration, that this person would be likely to snap it up. It may be like the rolex seller who tells his customer, "Look, if you buy this watch and decide tomorrow you want to return it, I can sell it within a couple of weeks, at worst case." They can often do this because the watch is in high demand.

Traditionally, dealerships like Mazda's did this all the time, didn't they? I would think that if there is a long waiting list, and the chance pops up for someone who is expecting to wait a year or more is offered an exact or very close configuration, that this person would be likely to snap it up. It may be like the rolex seller who tells his customer, "Look, if you buy this watch and decide tomorrow you want to return it, I can sell it within a couple of weeks, at worst case." They can often do this because the watch is in high demand.
Possibly, but I'm pretty sure that Mazda (and any other high volume marque that keeps cars on the lots) doesn't require the dealership to buy the car in full at delivery. Not too many Lotus dealership's kept more than 1-2 Evora's on the lot at any given time. If a customer wanted a unique spec the dealer would see what Lotus USA had in their inventory, or if necessary put in a custom order.

Possibly, but I'm pretty sure that Mazda (and any other high volume marque that keeps cars on the lots) doesn't require the dealership to buy the car in full at delivery. Not too many Lotus dealership's kept more than 1-2 Evora's on the lot at any given time. If a customer wanted a unique spec the dealer would see what Lotus USA had in their inventory, or if necessary put in a custom order.
Yes, that's true but I think the demand for Emiras is much higher than what it was for the Evora, since the Emira is (hopefully) broadening their fan base with a more modern interior.
Remember, too that some Lotus dealerships sell other brands, also. Having more money "flowing" should help in this regard.

Lotus USA is "the factory" that I was referring to. I was making a distinction between the dealer tier and the manufacturer tier, using language that is typical in US auto business vernacular. I was not referring to a literal factory building.

Having been very disappointed by my first test drive in a 'touring' and then much more enthusiastic again after a second test in a 'sport' (which i have ordered), on saturday i called in at Lotus Prestbury to view the DV demo car in the flesh.
This is the colour i have ordered and is the only one I had not yet seen in person.
I am due to be Feb build so expecting the call sometime soon - hence the need to view the colour.
Also had Mrs B with me for moral support.
TBH I would prefer it to be a little more green, but in fact I do like the colour and importantly so did Mrs B.
At this point as was definitely maybe still in.

As we had some time, we took the opportunity to call in elsewhere to view and sit in (but not drive) a Vantage and a 570s.
In conclusion, without driving, Mrs B ranking was 570, Emira, Vantage.
I am probably 570, vantage, Emira
Clearly the 570 would be 4-5 yrs old, vantage 3-4 and Emira new which is a factor.
So now planning to arrange a final test drive of the 570 & vantage asap in the next 2 weeks, then its decisions time.

Try an R8!

I bought one on the spot after my test drive, after casually thinking I should try one, with no strong interest…

Having been very disappointed by my first test drive in a 'touring' and then much more enthusiastic again after a second test in a 'sport' (which i have ordered), on saturday i called in at Lotus Prestbury to view the DV demo car in the flesh.
This is the colour i have ordered and is the only one I had not yet seen in person.
I am due to be Feb build so expecting the call sometime soon - hence the need to view the colour.
Also had Mrs B with me for moral support.
TBH I would prefer it to be a little more green, but in fact I do like the colour and importantly so did Mrs B.
At this point as was definitely maybe still in.

As we had some time, we took the opportunity to call in elsewhere to view and sit in (but not drive) a Vantage and a 570s.
In conclusion, without driving, Mrs B ranking was 570, Emira, Vantage.
I am probably 570, vantage, Emira
Clearly the 570 would be 4-5 yrs old, vantage 3-4 and Emira new which is a factor.
So now planning to arrange a final test drive of the 570 & vantage asap in the next 2 weeks, then its decisions time.
All great options, we are in for an Emira and p
will probably move to a Vantage after 12-18 months with the Emira. I'd be sure to buy used approved or with a good warranty on the Vantage and especially the 570S.

I cancelled 4 weeks ago and bought a Vantage on the same day. It does everything I want (and more) as a daily and weekend blast car. No regrets currently but when my 2 year servicing and warranty run out I’ll look at an Emira GT if they exist then.

nearly got the vantage myself, but don't need a daily and the R8 was just on another level

know what you mean... when my 2 year warranty goes I'll probably be looking elsewhere again. a more powerful emira could well pique my interest

I am out. Got my 7.9.21 deposit back from dealer last month. The final straw was last month the dealer got a production level demo car with a Lotus USA rep to babysit it in the showroom. And even though I had a very early deposit I was just a few short of an FE allocation. The rep did not even put down his Whopper and large fries that he was eating at a tiny cocktail table next to the car to tell "test drives are for FE allocations only".
As to be expected my Porsche rep answered his phone on the first ring...

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back