I'm out - the cancellations thread

I'm thinking about cancelling too and also looked at the McClarens on pistonheads. I have heard they are very expensive to maintain with main dealers but there are some independents you can use for servicing now. I think I'll probably go for a Cayman Gt4 as want more of a track car and I have had good experiences with other Porsches for reliability/running costs.......unlike the Italian cars I have owned (355, Gallardo) which had a remarkable ability to generate bills from even routine items....
Definitely a step up in cost from the Emira, but I wouldn’t have thought the cost of ownership for a Macca would be that different from a Gallardo.

The thing that put me off about the GT4 or Porsche products in general was/is just that they are a bit common. Even the “special ones” there will be at least 5 at any enthusiast meeting. Very shallow of me, but if I’m spending, what is quite a lot of money for me, then I want to feel it’s at least a little “exclusive”.

I don’t think the Macca will be a long term car for me. Likely just to tick the box and then reevaluate in a couple of years time. We shall see

Yet another one. 18 months in with at least another 6 to go and they still push it back each time I hear from them. The price rise was the end of it.
I think this is the key, honestly. A lack of comms from Lotus over the entire deposited waiting period is the thing that has made these delay and pricing communications so intolerable for people. If Lotus had been communicating and engaging with their customer base over time like a responsible modern brand, the tenor of reaction from people would probably be different because it wouldn't be the only contact they had received in two years.

As it is, the ONLY news has been bad news. The rest is silence and assumptions. It's Lotus UK's own stubbornly silent fault that people feel this way. It could all have been so much more understandable and excusable, if only they had had the humility to regularly update and engage with their most important stakeholders: their customers.

I think this is the key, honestly. A lack of comms from Lotus over the entire deposited waiting period is the thing that has made these delay and pricing communications so intolerable for people. If Lotus had been communicating and engaging with their customer base over time like a responsible modern brand, the tenor of reaction from people would probably be different because it wouldn't be the only contact they had received in two years.

As it is, the ONLY news has been bad news. The rest is silence and assumptions. It's Lotus UK's own stubbornly silent fault that people feel this way. It could all have been so much more understandable and excusable, if only they had had the humility to regularly update and engage with their most important stakeholders: their customers.
This. Just regularly communicate even if bad news. That would solve much of this.

I think more people will ultimately drop out because of higher interest rates. There is a high chance the feds will raise another .50bps or .25bps for the next 2 months. This will bring car loans to 6.25-10% territory, this is absolutely the worst timing for Lotus to be slow on ramping up productions. I'm 50/50 at this time. I may put down a deposit and buy a G87 M2 or a GR Supra and pick up the Emira later in 2026.

Definitely a step up in cost from the Emira, but I wouldn’t have thought the cost of ownership for a Macca would be that different from a Gallardo.

The thing that put me off about the GT4 or Porsche products in general was/is just that they are a bit common. Even the “special ones” there will be at least 5 at any enthusiast meeting. Very shallow of me, but if I’m spending, what is quite a lot of money for me, then I want to feel it’s at least a little “exclusive”.

I don’t think the Macca will be a long term car for me. Likely just to tick the box and then reevaluate in a couple of years time. We shall see
I agree. Porsche cars are very common in Southern California. Besides, more than one comparison reviewers have stated that when you compare any Porsche with an Evora, for example, the Porsche cars feel numb and more disconnected from the driving sensation. I agree, as I have driven both a 911 and an Evora.

Found a nice looking Cayman parked next to me today. Off-topic… I know.

Attachments

• 7CC3E31E-820B-4E58-B31C-124C82CEBDEE.jpeg
    7CC3E31E-820B-4E58-B31C-124C82CEBDEE.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 65
I agree. Porsche cars are very common in Southern California. Besides, more than one comparison reviewers have stated that when you compare any Porsche with an Evora, for example, the Porsche cars feel numb and more disconnected from the driving sensation. I agree, as I have driven both a 911 and an Evora.
Have we gone too far calling Porsches numb? Yes, we have.

Communication by definition means something substantive is being transmitted. Until Lotus can reach some X percent of manufacturing capacity I don't think comms will change. Not judging whether or not what they are doing is good or bad. Its very difficult to develop a communication plan when your input information is constantly changing. Add that to the challenge of Lotus having to scale up it's previous operation and then I think you get a vacuum. Yes, some of the issues they are having are "teething problems" as stated my M. Windle. I just don't compare them to Porsche or Mercedes or whoever. They just aren't at that scale. They can get better but I am not sure who to benchmark against. To me the JayEmm video hit the nail on the head. Porsche is a consistent customer experience, Lotus isn't and never will be but when you get behind the wheel...

What tradeoffs can you live with? is my rhetorical question.

I'm thinking about cancelling too and also looked at the McClarens on pistonheads. I have heard they are very expensive to maintain with main dealers but there are some independents you can use for servicing now. I think I'll probably go for a Cayman Gt4 as want more of a track car and I have had good experiences with other Porsches for reliability/running costs.......unlike the Italian cars I have owned (355, Gallardo) which had a remarkable ability to generate bills from even routine items....
Everyone says “they hear they are expensive to maintain “ but if you don’t track it and destroy it it has about $1,500. USD annual running costs.

Steering of a 992 is kind of numb. I was disappointed. Obviously the whole package is compelling.
I can’t afford the 992, I’d be comparing a 2019 rear steering T. But I think the real p car comparo is vs the 718s, Porsches most dynamic car

Communication by definition means something substantive is being transmitted. Until Lotus can reach some X percent of manufacturing capacity I don't think comms will change. Not judging whether or not what they are doing is good or bad. Its very difficult to develop a communication plan when your input information is constantly changing. Add that to the challenge of Lotus having to scale up it's previous operation and then I think you get a vacuum. Yes, some of the issues they are having are "teething problems" as stated my M. Windle. I just don't compare them to Porsche or Mercedes or whoever. They just aren't at that scale. They can get better but I am not sure who to benchmark against. To me the JayEmm video hit the nail on the head. Porsche is a consistent customer experience, Lotus isn't and never will be but when you get behind the wheel...

What tradeoffs can you live with? is my rhetorical question.
It wasn't even a need for substantive info that created the gap, it's the fact that they weren't engaging at all. If Lotus had been doing minimum monthly "look at what we're working on" or "meet this particular team/employee" emails or social posts throughout the last 2 years people would have eaten it up.

Or even just a "we know you're waiting, thanks for being our customer, we are working hard for you" email once a quarter would have been a super welcome gesture. And I bet if that had happened, we'd have seen barely half of the cancellations that have occurred.

Lotus management just totally fucked up this part of brand management, in what amounts to a spectacular own goal. It's stupid.

Looks like I might be another cancellation. Ongoing delays and the recent price increase (even though Matt Windle said deposit placers wouldn't be seeing any price increases) has really turned me off. I'm going to be test driving a V6 Emira tomorrow, but unless it's simply amazing, I'll be sending the cancellation email.

Have we gone too far calling Porsches numb? Yes, we have.
Most German cars are numb in comparison to their competition in almost all instances I’ve encountered. I think it’s a fair description

It wasn't even a need for substantive info that created the gap, it's the fact that they weren't engaging at all. If Lotus had been doing minimum monthly "look at what we're working on" or "meet this particular team/employee" emails or social posts throughout the last 2 years people would have eaten it up.

Or even just a "we know you're waiting, thanks for being our customer, we are working hard for you" email once a quarter would have been a super welcome gesture. And I bet if that had happened, we'd have seen barely half of the cancellations that have occurred.

Lotus management just totally fucked up this part of brand management, in what amounts to a spectacular own goal. It's stupid.
It doesn't seem like they have had that many cancellations. We are not getting loads of people in here talking about reduced wait times as they have been moved up. The i4 version maybe, as that is so far away, lots of people are probably just thinking, 'whats the point in waiting', which is fair, as 2024 onwards is insane when you put money down 2 years ago!

How many V6's have been cancelled from the thousands on order? 5%, less? Feels like we have all just swallowed the 6K increase if we get the car in the next few months.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back