I'm out - the cancellations thread

Are they not shipping them over the next few months and storing them in a US port for release in December? I'm sure that was the chatter on this forum, concerns over paintwork at a port.

Or is this an i4 issue? Spoke to customer services yesterday about my V6 order, and he said he had to be careful on what he said about the i4, for some reason. I assume they are going to delay it again, packaging issues for heat, but I have zero proof of that, just a feeling.
To the best of my knowledge they will not start building till the get certification and read /heard somewhere that won’t be till September. But no one can clarify that. If that’s the case first batch may arrive in December at the earliest.
If Lotus would only at least let dealers know that would be one thing.
For me I’m an early July 2021 deposit.
Other than an initial email from Lotus saying welcome then nothing since. So nearly 2.5 years.
My dealership has been fantastic and let me know what they know. They know pretty much nothing since January this year.
At the very least imo Lotus should have had the courtesy to at least send an email to all US FE 1 depositors an email once every quarter giving us some idea when cars would be arriving.
Good or bad news no issue from me. Just let us know what is going on. Don’t think that is asking much of them.
I’m in the manufacturing business so fully understand production issues.
However we inform everyone of our customers as to what is going on all the time. As stated many times this is not the case with Lotus.

Isnt the i4 FE 77,795+OTR costs (80,515), rather than 82k? I am with you on the base - I am thinking it will 67,795+OTR costs (70,515) and I cant see me choosing 10k worth of options. The problem with that is (Lotus CC said) I would be moved to the i4 BASE queue (more delays past the 2024 q2/q3 provisional date I have now). Maybe taking the i4 FE will end up cheaper if it saves a price rise in 2024. Lots of maybe's in this purchase!
Thanks for the reply and some of the answers to the questions I have just asked lotus in an Email, after LCC Chat couldn't answer any of my questions😩.
I configured the Black pack so that takes the price to £78,995 + OTR cost, taking it to just shy of £82K.
I get your point of the waiting game and it's something I have thought about, I would be happy with the Base + a few options.
I convinced myself that spending the £15K extra (over Base) would be worth it, to have it sooner and maybe it would be a good deal by the time the base pricing came out i.e. base price rises.
I'm going to drop down to the Base and if the price increases from the expected (Finger in the air) £66K/67K then I will cancel at that point, I would be doing less than 1K miles PA in the car and I can't justify the £82K current cost for that mileage, I'll just keep the Exige and the R8.

Last edited:
Isnt the i4 FE 77,795+OTR costs (80,515), rather than 82k? I am with you on the base - I am thinking it will 67,795+OTR costs (70,515) and I cant see me choosing 10k worth of options. The problem with that is (Lotus CC said) I would be moved to the i4 BASE queue (more delays past the 2024 q2/q3 provisional date I have now). Maybe taking the i4 FE will end up cheaper if it saves a price rise in 2024. Lots of maybe's in this purchase!
Yes - unless you add any of black pack £1,200 , steering wheel other than black leather £400, Homelink £200 or Tracker £550 ;)

Reactions: AGP
To the best of my knowledge they will not start building till the get certification and read /heard somewhere that won’t be till September. But no one can clarify that. If that’s the case first batch may arrive in December at the earliest.
If Lotus would only at least let dealers know that would be one thing.
For me I’m an early July 2021 deposit.
Other than an initial email from Lotus saying welcome then nothing since. So nearly 2.5 years.
My dealership has been fantastic and let me know what they know. They know pretty much nothing since January this year.
At the very least imo Lotus should have had the courtesy to at least send an email to all US FE 1 depositors an email once every quarter giving us some idea when cars would be arriving.
Good or bad news no issue from me. Just let us know what is going on. Don’t think that is asking much of them.
I’m in the manufacturing business so fully understand production issues.
However we inform everyone of our customers as to what is going on all the time. As stated many times this is not the case with Lotus
I put my initial deposit down July 2021 as well, but my math says it'll just be 2 years this July. 🤔

After Emailing LCC today and getting very quick replies from Abi, I have moved my deposit from I4FE to I4 base.
She did mention that they were hoping to have the Base configurator up live this summer, including the pricing🤷‍♂️. Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking, but where would we be without hope:D

I put my initial deposit down July 2021 as well, but my math says it'll just be 2 years this July. 🤔
Yes July is 2 years but car is not arriving nor have the even started to build NA cars
So by time you get it that will be 2.5 years plus
Edit that’s if you are in the first batch arriving.

Last edited:
Yes July is 2 years but car is not arriving nor have the even started to build NA cars
So by time you get it that will be 2.5 years plus
Edit that’s if you are in the first batch arriving.
OK..I thought you meant since you'd last had any communication from Lotus.

OK..I thought you meant since you'd last had any communication from Lotus.
No sorry I was not clear on that
Lotus itself was July 21 acknowledging my deposit. But that’s it.
Dealership has been communicating occasionally. When I take the Evora to dealership I go talk to one of the owners and he lets me know what he knows and that’s not much.

Anyone see the new Maserati MC20? It’s the best of Lotus: the looks of the Evora, the doors of the Evija, and the reliability of the Emira.
IMG_7457.jpeg

Just on the brink of cancellation - I contacted Lotus yesterday as they want another 3K (i4) to be told they cannot give me any idea of delivery until I have configured the car(not asking for a precise date, just would like to know 2023 or 2024), then if I wanted to cancel after paying the 3K I would loose my deposit. They just kept saying, pay the deposit configure and you will be in the queue - customers will be getting their cars from July and if you hurry up will be one of these!!!!!!!! (not quite said in those words). It just smacks of a business in trouble trying to pull in as much money as it can in a short a time as possible to keep things going. To me I feel I am being stretched just that bit to far to want to carry on holding on! - or might just go and get one of those used v6s that aren't selling on autotrader.

Just on the brink of cancellation - I contacted Lotus yesterday as they want another 3K (i4) to be told they cannot give me any idea of delivery until I have configured the car(not asking for a precise date, just would like to know 2023 or 2024), then if I wanted to cancel after paying the 3K I would loose my deposit. They just kept saying, pay the deposit configure and you will be in the queue - customers will be getting their cars from July and if you hurry up will be one of these!!!!!!!! (not quite said in those words). It just smacks of a business in trouble trying to pull in as much money as it can in a short a time as possible to keep things going. To me I feel I am being stretched just that bit to far to want to carry on holding on! - or might just go and get one of those used v6s that aren't selling on autotrader.
Wait... what!? The deposit becomes non-refundable after this out-of-the-blue second payment?! I was under the impression you are committed only when they begin the build, otherwise how do they legally justify hanging onto any money, having provided nothing, and incurred no unrecoverable costs? :|

Well guys....I did it. Yesterday I finally hit "send" on the cancellation draft I've had saved since January. Still waiting for a response from my sales guy at Park Place.

I just don't have it in me to deal with the issues that I may encounter. If I had to have a door repainted or it torn apart to replace wiring or any number of things that I may involve needing it hauled to the dealer several hours away and left for who knows how long, would taint that car for me immediately. And I really can't support Lotus' terrible ethos.

Too many other amazing cars out there for $100k+ to enjoy. Never know...I may loop back to an Emira in the future. I think there will be many available in the next 3-4 years.

Well guys....I did it. Yesterday I finally hit "send" on the cancellation draft I've had saved since January. Still waiting for a response from my sales guy at Park Place.

I just don't have it in me to deal with the issues that I may encounter. If I had to have a door repainted or it torn apart to replace wiring or any number of things that I may involve needing it hauled to the dealer several hours away and left for who knows how long, would taint that car for me immediately. And I really can't support Lotus' terrible ethos.

Too many other amazing cars out there for $100k+ to enjoy. Never know...I may loop back to an Emira in the future. I think there will be many available in the next 3-4 years.

Sorry to hear this, but I fully understand. I'm just waiting for another option myself.

Can you please list out those cars? I feel like I've gone back/forth on it many times and nothing is as appealing for less than 2x the price.

Of course when we compare to used there are a few more options, but still 1.5x+ price.

I've considered the McLaren 570, Audi R8, Huracan EVO RWD, Maserati MC20, Z06, GT-R, 992 GT3, Aston Martin Vantage F1 and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I'll admit the basic Porsche's don't do it for me, they're like Camry's of the sports car world. Same with the C8, it's just everywhere and too huge with a performance envelope I'll never approach.

Can you please list out those cars? I feel like I've gone back/forth on it many times and nothing is as appealing for less than 2x the price.

Of course when we compare to used there are a few more options, but still 1.5x+ price.

I've considered the McLaren 570, Audi R8, Huracan EVO RWD, Maserati MC20, Z06, GT-R, 992 GT3, Aston Martin Vantage F1 and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I'll admit the basic Porsche's don't do it for me, they're like Camry's of the sports car world. Same with the C8, it's just everywhere and too huge with a performance envelope I'll never approach.
I sadly agree. The main reason I want an Emira is it's one of the few remaining sports cars still in production that value the old school analog driving experience without paying huge $$$ (manual, small/lightweight, non-turbo, no ADAS yet, etc.)

I've only found 2 comparable options in the US, a Cayman GTS 4.0 or an Ariel Atom 4. Both have their own set of compromises so I feel stuck frustratingly waiting for Lotus. Very nearly ordered an Atom two months ago before the price increases here, but decided against it last minute as it would end up being 90% a track car for me and not worth the extreme price they sell for in the US.

If money were no option I'd buy a 992 GT3 and be done with it. Sadly, given the uncertain economy and weak stock market in the last 18 months I can't justify $250k+ on one car right now no matter how amazing it is. First world problems certainly, but it still leaves me feeling a bit deflated after spending many years waiting on a dream wondering if it will ever happen.

Look, I can make a list of cars that I would consider good alternatives, but it doesn't mean you'd agree.
I already have a Turbo S. Where I live, Porsche's are rare because we don't have dealers around. So that's all relative. I took it on a Spring Rally today and drove through some pretty aggressive canyons for 2 hours. Not a worry about it ever. Some people are already missing track days due to issues.
I also don't always compare apples to apples when it comes to my "fun" car. It isn't beyond me to shop the Emira with an LC 500. Each is special in its own way. Both are rare. Both are gorgeous cars. But the LC will be rock solid and built to the highest standards.
I'm not going to spend $100k on a car that just looks good but getting to the dealer is a hassle and waiting for parts may be another struggle. Again...just too many alternatives for me out there.
As I've said before...the Emira is special. But how many problems will it take before the new shines off and it's just a huge pain in the ass? Everyone's tolerance levels are different for that sort of thing.

Emira build quality will never get close to an LC500. There is no question there. I think the issue with Emira is consistency. I’m sure there will be some built very well, but this is a mostly hand assembled, new factory, new staff and the tolerance for QA seems spotty. Over time will this improve? Yes of course it will. How long will it take is yet to be seen. Any Emira built in 2022 or q1 2023 I will give a pass and won’t be cancelling based on those cars. If cars built in the second half of ‘23 have the same issues, I would have to really think twice. I believe it will take them 1.5 years of steady production to find all the niggles, come out with fixes, implement the fixes with suppliers first and then apply it on the manufacturing line as well. Not enough time has passed for me to give complete judgement. It will be 1 year come September and if there is not a noticeable difference in our problems thread, I will begin to worry.

As for the early depositors that took the chance on the early cars, it is what it is. These sort of issues happen to any early new model, difference being larger manufacturers deal with the clients in a more polished manner. (Parts availability, courtesy car etc.) That is another issue altogether.

And I think you're right. Given some time to iron things out, they'll probably get everything buttoned up. But for now, I'll just get my $5k back. I can add it to my high interest savings account and at least have it doing something for me.
There will always be Emira's available. I'll just bide my time and see how things play out. I was already a base customer after I didn't get the FE slot, so I was already looking at 2024.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back