• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Japan - Emira Ownership (エミーラ納車とその後)

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just wondering why there are two of them.
I can think of the possibility that maybe one of them is a constant power source.
-------------------
ただ、どうして2つあるのか疑問です。
もしかすると1つは常時電源の可能性も考えられますね。
Could be, but I can't think of any application where you would need an "always on" power supply for Electronic Toll Collection. Dashcams I can understand, but probably not for ETC. One outlet could be on the right side of the car, and the other on the left side...
謎ですね。ドライブレコーダーと異なり料金回収装置がエンジン OFF の状態で稼働する必要は無いだろう、といずれも ACC かと思い込んでいました。配線の先が車内の違う箇所に向かっているんじゃないかと想像しています。

However, my last car also had a hard time getting grounding because the body was aluminum, so where would be a good place to get grounding?
-------------------
しかし、前の車も車体がアルミだったためにアースの取得に苦労しましたが、アースは何処から取るのが良いのでしょうね。
Wouldn't the aluminum subframes be grounded together? If not, I might consider running a grounding line through each subframe and engine as well. Didn't think I would have had to consider doing this on a modern car, but hey, it's a Lotus...
実車がないので確認できないのですが、フレーム・サブフレーム間は繋いでないのですか?オーディオ屋さんがやるようなアース線を各アルミ部分とエンジンブロック間に通すべきだろうか悩みます。見えないところでアルミと銅を接触させるのはあまり気持ちのいいものではありませんが。20年前に流行った手法をイマドキの車に使う必要なんかないと思いたいところですが、まぁ、ロータスですし...

Last edited:

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could be, but I can't think of any application where you would need an "always on" power supply for Electronic Toll Collection. Dashcams I can understand, but probably not for ETC. One outlet could be on the right side of the car, and the other on the left side...
謎ですね。ドライブレコーダーと異なり料金回収装置がエンジン OFF の状態で稼働する必要は無いだろう、といずれも ACC かと思い込んでいました。配線の先が車内の違う箇所に向かっているんじゃないかと想像しています。

Wouldn't the aluminum subframes be grounded together? If not, I might consider running a grounding line through each subframe and engine as well.
実車がないので確認できないのですが、フレーム・サブフレーム間は繋いでないのですか?オーディオ屋さんがやるようなアース線を各アルミ部分とエンジンブロック間に通すべきだろうか悩みます。見えないところでアルミと銅を接触させるのはあまり気持ちのいいものではありませんが...
I checked and lo and behold, fuse #63 is not present in the diagram!
1694876228047.png

Come to think of it, aluminum is a conductor.
I wonder if it is anodized that way?

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I checked and lo and behold, fuse #63 is not present in the diagram!

Come to think of it, aluminum is a conductor.
I wonder if it is anodized that way?
The "71" is located above the "72" fuse in the diagram, but a #72 fuse is not shown in the list... My take is that the diagram is incorrect.
もう、このハンドブック滅茶苦茶ですね。
1694878551581.png
1694878655440.png

Small aluminum parts may be anodized, but probably not the bigger parts like subframes. Those would be left to create a protective oxidized layer. To get a consistent electrical connection, you would need to sand away the thin layer of oxidization.
フレームのような大きな部品にはアルマイト加工はしていないと思います。自然にできる酸化膜が腐食から守ってくれるのですが、アースを取る際にはしっかり削り取らないといけません。ネジのタップ部分でなんとか導通することもありますが、接触面積も限られますし「アタリ・ハズレ」があるのであまりアテにはならないと思います。

ino

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

JamesW

Reaction score
To follow up on my last post regarding Apple CarPlay freeze during driving.

I found out that as long as I use Apple’s map there is no issue, with google map and yahoo navi it freezes from time to time

So if you are going to have a long drive might be better to use apple’s own map

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The "71" is located above the "72" fuse in the diagram, but a #72 fuse is not shown in the list... My take is that the diagram is incorrect.
もう、このハンドブック滅茶苦茶ですね。
View attachment 31354 View attachment 31355

Small aluminum parts may be anodized, but probably not the bigger parts like subframes. Those would be left to create a protective oxidized layer. To get a consistent electrical connection, you would need to sand away the thin layer of oxidization.
フレームのような大きな部品にはアルマイト加工はしていないと思います。自然にできる酸化膜が腐食から守ってくれるのですが、アースを取る際にはしっかり削り取らないといけません。ネジのタップ部分でなんとか導通することもありますが、接触面積も限られますし「アタリ・ハズレ」があるのであまりアテにはならないと思います。
This is the actual fuse box under the glove box.
1695111948194.png

I flipped this left to right.
1695111961569.png

I believe #66 is the fuse for the airbag.
In the diagram, #64 is supposed to be a spare, but since the fuse is present, it may actually be #63.

ino

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is not that expensive. Some might say "Damn, it's my spec!"

Mod: it IS expensive… lol

Last edited:
OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A question to folks who already have their cars: Whereabouts are you driving during the break-in period? I was thinking about multiple trips to Kawaguchi-ko without using the expressway.
皆さん「慣らし運転」はどこでしてますか?都心から下道で河口湖周辺を往復すると 250km ぐらいなのでそれを何回かやろうかなと考えてます。

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A question to folks who already have their cars: Whereabouts are you driving during the break-in period? I was thinking about multiple trips to Kawaguchi-ko without using the expressway.
皆さん「慣らし運転」はどこでしてますか?都心から下道で河口湖周辺を往復すると 250km ぐらいなのでそれを何回かやろうかなと考えてます。
I drive slowly on Meihan National Highway and suburban roads extending from Meihan National Highway where there are almost no traffic lights.
I have only driven about 800 km, but the brake touch changed after about 300 km. And after about 600 km, the touch of the transmission has improved.
I have a feeling that I want to open the transmission to full throttle as soon as possible, but I am also enjoying driving slowly to break in the car.

---
名阪国道と名阪国道から伸びる郊外の信号の殆ど無い様な道路をゆっくり流しています。
まだ800km程ですが、300kmくらいでブレーキタッチが変わりました。
そして600kmくらいでミッションのタッチが良くなりました。
早く全開にしたい気持ちはありますが、ゆっくり慣らし運転も楽しんでいます。

JamesW

Reaction score
I’m about 1100km now, the break feeling is getting weird, when press the break the first 2-3 cm has limited to zero braking effect, do you guys have similar issue ?

I’ve been driving to Izu, Kusatsu , karuizawa , hakone , and got a speeding ticket at 小田原厚木道路 ( famous for 覆面パトカー🤣)when coming back from hakone to Tokyo lol

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Today the check engine light suddenly came on.
It is restricted to 4000 rpm and clearly has no power.
I feel like several cylinders are dead. Maybe one bank is dead?😰
I had it towed to the dealer for now.
1696056966736.png

1696056974223.png

JamesW

Reaction score
I believe some of the owners will be soon picking up their emiras in October
Here is some of my findings after 1000km for your reference

Lots of minor issue, but overall experience is great

overall driving experience :

1. Handling is great as advertised, but the break is too grabby, it comes in all of sudden, makes it really difficult to do light touch on breaking, so going downhill in mountains is bit tricky ( I’ve talked with dealers, they also find the break to be too grabby)

2. Acceleration is good, but you do feel the weight of the car

3. Gear change is short and crisp

4. The shape of steering wheel feels bit weird during U turn, but you get used to it

5. You do feel all the bumps with sport suspension but it’s not that bad,

Ergo/interior :
1. Seats are bit too high, and do not provide enough hold during high speed corner

2. Cup holders are basically useless for water bottle it will hit your elbow while shifting, so I’m using it for keys, door bins are decent size can fit large bottle

3. The buttons on the steering wheel are easy to use

4. Space behind the seat is very useful

infotainment/software

1. CarPlay wireless doesn’t work ( dealer still haven’t figure out why)

2. CarPlay sometime freezes when using google map. No way to restart it unless stop the car

3. KEF speakers is pretty good, but the road noise is pretty loud, so have to turn the volume up a lot to enjoy the music

4. Parking sensors at the front do a lot false alarm ( dealer is looking for ways to reduce the sensitivity )

5. Hill stop assistance is working,you have to really press the break to initiate it, on a hill but the indicator on the dash doesn’t pop up ( dealer doesn’t know why)

6. If you use 機械式駐車場, the alarm is very likely to go off due to the motion when moving the car , and you need to turn it off every time before parking, ( it gets reset automatically)

Fit and finish(interior and exterior )

1. Overall is good, but some small areas you can find the work to be sloppy , especially compared to Eletre , it’s basically in 2 different level , emira is bit rough in quality , eletre is more refined

I will update more when I have more findings