• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Oil pan baffles require replacement?

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

AndyVX

Reaction score

Martylemoo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The standard sump, for anybody that doubted it was just a standard sump.
IMG_4535.jpeg

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Moroso sump being fitted today so I will have conclusive evidence that it’s a standard Toyota sump on there.
So that begs the question...Why the baffles for the GT and not the Emira? At some point and for some reason Lotus thought the V6 needed baffles. Now they switch back to a stock Toyota sump. Except for cost cutting it doesn't really make sense.

I guess if any track driven Emiras start having oil starvation problems we'll here about it soon enough.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So that begs the question...Why the baffles for the GT and not the Emira? At some point and for some reason Lotus thought the V6 needed baffles. Now they switch back to a stock Toyota sump. Except for cost cutting it doesn't really make sense.

I guess if any track driven Emiras start having oil starvation problems we'll here about it soon enough.

The GT was not a first model, expect maybe the S or R models to have a baffled sump.

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira should be able to pull the same lateral G's as an Evora GT so you would think they would do the baffled sump in them also but maybe Lotus just had a bunch of those they needed to get rid of and used them on the GT's and now back to standard.
Either way if you plan to track your Emira I would recommend the Moroso pan! We will be installing one on our car as a safeguard.
We will do our best to keep them in stock but there has been a bit of a run on them lately since a lot of Evora GT's hit that service interval, so they are about 4 weeks out currently.
Check them out here: Moroso Baffled Pan

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The Emira should be able to pull the same lateral G's as an Evora GT so you would think they would do the baffled sump in them also but maybe Lotus just had a bunch of those they needed to get rid of and used them on the GT's and now back to standard.
Either way if you plan to track your Emira I would recommend the Moroso pan! We will be installing one on our car as a safeguard.
We will do our best to keep them in stock but there has been a bit of a run on them lately since a lot of Evora GT's hit that service interval, so they are about 4 weeks out currently.

Hey @GRP - just out of curiosity.. Do you know if the MWR version has the same offset internal studs? Or does their design improve that from the "regular" Moroso pan? Are they a straight shot through the access holes?

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey @GRP - just out of curiosity.. Do you know if the MWR version has the same offset internal studs? Or does their design improve that from the "regular" Moroso pan? Are they a straight shot through the access holes?
Same same on the internal studs.
Those are a bit of a pain for sure. I use a magnetic wobble 10mm socket to install the nuts on those and it goes decently.

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Same same on the internal studs.
Those are a bit of a pain for sure. I use a magnetic wobble 10mm socket to install the nuts on those and it goes decently.

None of my 10mm wobbles were short enough to thread the nuts on so I actually used a spare spring I had in my toolbox and MacGyvered them on before torquing them down with the socket. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: GRP

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The other one is MWR's spec which is even higher capacity is the main difference.
Not really needed for a street/track car, its more geared towards a all out race car. They developed it for 2gr swapped MR2's afaik.

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
None of my 10mm wobbles were short enough to thread the nuts on so I actually used a spare spring I had in my toolbox and MacGyvered them on before torquing them down with the socket. 😂
I also watched MavGyver as a youngster and its come in handy sometimes! lol

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Any idea whether the clearance still works on the Emira? I know the exhaust is slightly different compared to the Evora, wasn't sure whether the corner of the pan that sticks out compared to stock would interfere in any way.

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea whether the clearance still works on the Emira? I know the exhaust is slightly different compared to the Evora, wasn't sure whether the corner of the pan that sticks out compared to stock would interfere in any way.

The aero tray may be an issue too. I've heard of some Evora owners having clearance issues. I'm betting they were trying to reinstall their panel without spacers though.. Who knows.

1000014242.jpg

Screenshot_20240103_114144_YouTube.jpg

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The headers and mid-pipe/Y-pipe is the same from the Evora (except the end flange) so it shouldn’t have any fitment issues.
The undertray may be changed up some but that could be modded easily to fit worst case scenario.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is there a reason why owners prefer baffled pans to dry sumps?