• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

So is it a great car?

I’m lost on this thread 🤷‍♂️
We have concluded that the Emira is a true sports car, and that despite likely performance deficits to non sports cars (M cars , Evora because it has 4 seats), or to actual sports cars (718 GTS or GT4), it's imperfections and quirks makes the Emira the BEST sports car in the world. This is fact.

😉

We have concluded that the Emira is a true sports car, and that despite likely performance deficits to non sports cars (M cars , Evora because it has 4 seats), or to actual sports cars (718 GTS or GT4), it's imperfections and quirks makes the Emira the BEST sports car in the world. This is fact.

😉
Lol there’s so much “it can’t be too good or it’ll be boring” on this forum it’s sort of weird.

Lol there’s so much “it can’t be too good or it’ll be boring” on this forum it’s sort of weird.
This ^ is very true... Emira is a good sports car. Possibly more engaging than M2's, Supra, 718 GT4, C8. But it probably won't outperform these guys on track or the road. Still better looking than any of them.

This concern over outperforming other cars is kind of bizarre to me. Maybe it's just the way I drive, but I prefer to be out on the road by myself; just me, a great road and scenery. It really isn't legal (or safe really) to be driving at max or near max performance in any of the cars we're talking about on public roads. Racing on public roads is both illegal and quite dangerous.

So when and where are people concerned that they're going to get out-performed by something else when they're in their Emira? If you're talking about drag racing from a traffic light... not interested. That's not what a Lotus is for; get a muscle car. The Emira is going to pretty much look better than just about anything else on the road, so it's not going to be outperformed in the looks department. If you're on canyon or mountain roads with speed limits of 35-45 mph, more power isn't what you need; you need handling and great brakes, and the Emira has it; it's a Lotus. If you're in a daily commute, you're probably in traffic so power and speed are not a concern. Interior comfort, sound system, convenience are what you're using, and the Emira has it. Need a place to throw your jacket on your way to or from work? Right behind the seats. Raining and dodgy weather on your drive? Chris Harris was truly amazed at how well the Emira handled those kind of driving conditions. Said it was second to none, and he's pretty much driven everything out there.

So where's the concern; is it just numbers on paper? Dyno charts, hp figures, etc.? Honestly, those don't really mean that much. What counts is what happens when you're sitting in the driver's seat. The Emira should be a fun little car to be in and drive.

The Emira is simply a stunning looking British sports car, with a decent amount of horsepower, great chassis and steering, modern conveniences, and will have the best fit, finish and quality of any car Lotus has ever built. If you truly feel something else is going to 'outperform' it at a comparable price or close to it, then get that something else. Why go through all the heartburn and angst over the Emira if you're that worried about it? Otherwise, just hang in there and be patient. You'll soon be in one of the best looking sports cars ever made.

This concern over outperforming other cars is kind of bizarre to me. Maybe it's just the way I drive, but I prefer to be out on the road by myself; just me, a great road and scenery. It really isn't legal (or safe really) to be driving at max or near max performance in any of the cars we're talking about on public roads. Racing on public roads is both illegal and quite dangerous.

So when and where are people concerned that they're going to get out-performed by something else when they're in their Emira? If you're talking about drag racing from a traffic light... not interested. That's not what a Lotus is for; get a muscle car. The Emira is going to pretty much look better than just about anything else on the road, so it's not going to be outperformed in the looks department. If you're on canyon or mountain roads with speed limits of 35-45 mph, more power isn't what you need; you need handling and great brakes, and the Emira has it; it's a Lotus. If you're in a daily commute, you're probably in traffic so power and speed are not a concern. Interior comfort, sound system, convenience are what you're using, and the Emira has it. Need a place to throw your jacket on your way to or from work? Right behind the seats. Raining and dodgy weather on your drive? Chris Harris was truly amazed at how well the Emira handled those kind of driving conditions. Said it was second to none, and he's pretty much driven everything out there.

So where's the concern; is it just numbers on paper? Dyno charts, hp figures, etc.? Honestly, those don't really mean that much. What counts is what happens when you're sitting in the driver's seat. The Emira should be a fun little car to be in and drive.

The Emira is simply a stunning looking British sports car, with a decent amount of horsepower, great chassis and steering, modern conveniences, and will have the best fit, finish and quality of any car Lotus has ever built. If you truly feel something else is going to 'outperform' it at a comparable price or close to it, then get that something else. Why go through all the heartburn and angst over the Emira if you're that worried about it? Otherwise, just hang in there and be patient. You'll soon be in one of the best looking sports cars ever made.
I agree. But more information nowadays make us all more insecure. Always looking for the next best thing. Its silly in many ways. My F80 Is way faster than my E46, but I'll never sell the E46 because I love it.

IMHO you are absolutely correct in what you have said here. Thank you for your post. 👍👍
I am patiently going to wait for mine. Hopefully it will arrive in March 2023.
It will be the best true sports car out there.
So it has 16 HP less than the Evora GT who cares
It won’t be as quick as a Cayman GT 4 or a number of other sports cars. Who cares
Definitely not me. I’m just going to enjoy driving it whenever I can

Last edited:
IMHO you are absolutely correct in what you have said here. Thank you for your post. 👍👍
I am patiently going to wait for mine. Hopefully it will arrive in March 2023.
It will be the best true sports car out there.
So it has 16 HP less than the Evora GT who cares
It won’t be as quick as a Cayman GT 4 or a number of other sports cars. Who cares
Definitely not me. I’m just going to enjoy driving it whenever I can
It will have 16 less hp at the top of the rpm range because it goes to 6,800 rpm instead of 7,200 like the Evora does, but up to 6,800 rpm it should be pretty much the same. It's still going to be able to do 180 mph so it's no slouch!

@Eagle7 ... I shed a tear with your post. Not because you are wrong, but because you might be right. With such a full order book already, how does the V6 Final happen? I am hoping that their is a business case for it. If there is not a business case, then go the Porsche route. They never needed to build the 718 GT4RS, but they did. The last of ICE from Lotus deserves to be the best version. It shows something special. That they weren't willing to leave anything on the table. I would think these upgrades would be worth an additional 15-20K GPB over the V6 FE price.
Also, the delays to first customer cars must be costing Lotus and Geely a fortune, with staff to pay but now no income from cars for 5-6 months longer than expected. Any business case for a Final Edition requires funding to develop and repeat type approval, funding that relied on sales now 6 months behind.

If the waiting list extends significantly once dealer demo cars are available, I can see Lotus focusing on cranking out as many V6 cars as possible before the engine is killed off (the margin must be higher on the V6 cars). So Final Edition might now be an i4 sometime in 2027-29, with timing depending on emissions regulations, demand for their EV sportscar and whether they need capacity at Hethel to build the Alpine variant as well.

Also, the delays to first customer cars must be costing Lotus and Geely a fortune, with staff to pay but now no income from cars for 5-6 months longer than expected. Any business case for a Final Edition requires funding to develop and repeat type approval, funding that relied on sales now 6 months behind.

If the waiting list extends significantly once dealer demo cars are available, I can see Lotus focusing on cranking out as many V6 cars as possible before the engine is killed off (the margin must be higher on the V6 cars). So Final Edition might now be an i4 sometime in 2027-29, with timing depending on emissions regulations, demand for their EV sportscar and whether they need capacity at Hethel to build the Alpine variant as well.
Yes, I did think this was possible. Perhaps they will add more options to the base configurator, (Seats, carbon, etc.) without the need for different type approval. They already are fabricating Evija seats, wouldn't seem to be a far stretch to offer in Emira, assuming it fits.

Perhaps Base V6 Manual, sport suspension and a komotec/jubu tune to the 430 BHP with different options is the best I could hope for. The delays of 6 months + would certainly hinder a bit. Also will come down to i4 reviews / comparisons. Which I can see getting a lot of positive attention and overshadowing the V6 fairly quickly.

It's 200 kilos lighter!
I had the manual it was a slow car to get off the line, but I'm no drag racer, nor want to be
Did you have an OG or Comp? Off the line I would agree OG was a bit sluggish, Comp though is a beast off the line. Almost too much torque. They finessed it for the CS which I have so it's more tractable down low and then opened up the top end.

Having driven, OG manual, M2C manual and DCT, M2CS manual and DCY and Emira, I can say with confidence that Emira is slower than M2C and M2CS.

BUT, you feel way more of the speed in the Emira and it is very progressive, linear and a momentum carrier with far lower center of gravity and it feels like a wider more stable track than M2.

M2 of all variants you are managing weight and higher center of gravity through fast tight corners. Sweepers and straight line, though, M2CS blows Emira away. Not even close, again from track experience with Manual FE prototype at Hethel and as an owner of M2CS manual.

It's not just high RPM, Porsche Flat 6 is really good it's different, I driven/owned even Ferraris and 458 with 9000RPM screams less for me than a 981 Cayman GTS which had a redline of 7700-7800RPM.

As for Torque both Emira and Cayman GTS 4.0 have same Torque with similar Torque curve, as I said and I say again, Emira shines on streets but Porsche shines on track however if you want better "driver's car" it's the Porsche cause they take into account driving it to the limits not just low speed cruising.

I'm just being realistic in here and saying don't expect Emira to beat the Cayman as driver's car, if you take into account the looks or rare factor or something unique then that's another story, I'm solely talking about driving factor here.
Actually I prefer the Emira to the Cayman GTS on back roads and canyons as a drivers car. On track GT4 is better but GTS and Emira are similar in envelope with different philosophy. Both have been tested and tuned extensively on track. In fact I would wager that Emira has had more development hours on track than GTS given that Hethel has its own track where Emira is assembled. I have driven 718 GTS, 718GT4 and prefer Emira tbh. Caymans are too clinical for me. To each his own though.

I took a friend out the other day which just been out in his mates new 992 gts targa, he was amazed how much more of an event, special, the Emira was compared to the £140k gts
Yo I’d still be all in but for $15k hike. I drove it, don’t have to tell me

Yo I’d still be all in but for $15k hike. I drove it, don’t have to tell me
It sucks, but it's still a bargain compared to most things. I'm 1100mls in and it's certainly not been without its niggles but it's a fabulous thing

Little different in the states though as your home grown stuff is so reasonably priced.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back