• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

TOP GEAR Review ?...... Total specualtion

Every time this topic comes up we see similar discussions. My next write up is on this topic and will be out later this week along with the i4 update.

You're spot on in this post, with Touring being road biased on mixed road surfaces and good for occasional track use, whereas Sports is more track-biased and some will feel it is a compromise too far on the road if you have poor road surfaces. If you have smooth roads, only use the car at weekends and/or are used to a stiffer setup then Sports may be fine for you even if you don't track very much.

There is definitely a wording/marketing issue too. Other manufacturers will have you believe that touring means soft and saggy and of course you must pay extra to get the "sports" version of things and therefore that must be an "upgrade". That's not the Lotus philosophy and the interviews with Gavan illustrate that Touring is a very capable sportscar, as it is on the Evora and Elise. Many of the Lotus development drivers choose a touring setup for their race cars. When I've asked a couple of them what Emira setup they'd choose for personal use they've also picked Touring for fast road driving on UK roads. There is also a much smaller difference between Emira Touring and Sport than between Launch Edition Evora NA (Touring) and V6 Exige (stiffer Sports).

Former Lotus CEO Jean Marc Gales famously tried to stop sales of the Elise with Touring setup, as he thought all sportscars should have Sports as default. He was given a company Elise to drive and only after many miles of enthusing about the drive was he told it was actually a Touring setup - both options were reinstated.

So far over 60% of V6 FE orders are for Touring. The press review cars and dealer demo cars will be about 50% of each setup.
Nicely said :) Scott mentioned he wanted to get more info out about the two..... Think Harry said it when he went road the track, and then shmee's guy

Interesting background and comparisons Tom. It really is purely a naming or marketing issue, the terms meaning different things to different people - it's the descriptions of each set-up and its raison d'etre we all need to focus on.

Do you need Road & Track or Track & Road?
Pretty much! It's "Road mainly and fine on Track" and "Track mainly and OK on Road".

Most people are unlikely to reach the limits of the car on track in Touring setup. The Track setting on Drive mode/DPM will give you another 0.5 to 1.0 seconds a lap advantage. Replacing the Goodyears with Cup2s on track with Touring will give you a few tenths more on a dry track, at the expense of quicker tyre wear and sub-optimal performance in cold and wet conditions.

It mainly comes down to what type of roads you drive on and your usage, plus personal preference. They will both be great to drive.

Last edited:
I don't imagine the difference between the two will be night and day. In fact the reviews I watched on the Evora 410 Sport (comparable to Emira Sport suspension) comment on the ride quality. In the Harry's Garage video he commented on the ride not being overly firm, albeit on a test track.

I've gone Sport, but with the Goodyears. Cup 2 too extreme for my use.

They should have named the two tiers "Sport" and "Race", or "Sport" and "Track".

It would have made it much clearer to buyers who have become accustomed to the term "sport" being an option label prerequisite for upgrading to acceptable suspension parts quality (rather than value engineering parts) on cars from other manufacturers.

I am really hoping Joe Achilles and Shmee do test ride reviews. With Joe you really get a brilliant idea of what the car will be like without even riding it, across all aspects and he will put the car through its paces. I hope they don’t give one to Archie Hamilton he is a idiot.

I am really hoping Joe Achilles and Shmee do test ride reviews. With Joe you really get a brilliant idea of what the car will be like without even riding it, across all aspects and he will put the car through its paces. I hope they don’t give one to Archie Hamilton he is a idiot.
Am hoping Harry does an early one, as soon as he gets his car. Shmee yes...... not the other shmee guys.... dont know who Joe is... but ?..... Hamilton... is that the guy that does some of the GT/Autotrader reviews ? could someone perhaps share one of his videos to be sure . As for Chris Harris..... as long as he dont spend half the time driffting

Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter, but Archie Hamilton has always struck me as a rich pratt who wouldn't know a good drivers' car if it jumped up and bit him on the arse... innit.
With any luck he'll be too distracted gushing about how he is going to be making his new RS3 obnoxiously loud or whatever.

Am hoping Harry does an early one, as soon as he gets his car. Shmee yes...... not the other shmee guys.... dont know who Joe is... but ?..... Hamilton... is that the guy that does some of the GT/Autotrader reviews ? could someone perhaps share one of his videos to be sure . As for Chris Harris..... as long as he dont spend half the time driffting
When do you think Harry will take delivery? I really enjoy his reviews. Of course I am in the same demographic.

I have watched a review on a car that's already on the road. Discussed it's features at length. Then purchased it.

I have never placed a deposit on a car. Discussed it's features at length. Then anticipated a review of the car which will essentially be it's "world debut."

Tickle me fun!

When do you think Harry will take delivery? I really enjoy his reviews. Of course I am in the same demographic.
Not a clue.... will he get moved up the list being a YouTuber ? I would like to think not.... but perhaps he will get one of the demo car.
Yes I like his work.... :)

Not a clue.... will he get moved up the list being a YouTuber ? I would like to think not.... but perhaps he will get one of the demo car.
Yes I like his work.... :)
Harry seemed to think his car would be early, "in the spring" even though he didn't place his order until after most on here. I enjoy his reporting and value his opinions as being from a normal perspective, rather than those from some of the wombles who publish car reviews ;)

Last edited:
Harry seemed to think his car would be early, "in the spring" even though he didn't place his order until after most on here. I enjoy his reporting and value his opinions as being from a normal perspective rather than those from some of the wombles who publish car reviews ;)
Yep.... with you all the way.... looking forward to Henry's as well, hoping to takes it on the North Road in Scotland :)

Harry seemed to think his car would be early, "in the spring" even though he didn't place his order until after most on here. I enjoy his reporting and value his opinions as being from a normal perspective, rather than those from some of the wombles who publish car reviews ;)
The video of Harry at the factory showed him choosing his spec and implied he was paying a deposit. I gather he had his first deposit in very early, so I think he'll be in the June batch. Looking forward to his review.

Edit: and he'll be part of the group getting press cars before that as well, so we'll get his initial impressions from press drives before he takes delivery of his own car.

Just spotted this on Chris Harris IG, so they're obviously in filming for the next series
Screenshot_20220222-112423_Instagram.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back